Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Prince Beast XP 16 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456038)

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 06:39 AM

Prince Beast XP 16

hi guys

is there any good info on this string as ive just got a couple of sets cheap!!!

i intend stringing up a 2012 pd/wilson blade 98 (black/gold version)

ive done the usual search but its a bit hit and miss,also some suggestions on string tension as ive read its powerful for a poly???

i mainly play doubles so im more intreasted in control/low power tensions,
i want to try and get it right 1st time as im stringing up both rackets at the same time for a side by side comparison to see what suits and then i can go from there.

many thanks in advance

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 07:25 AM

I like this string a lot, i string it at 55lbs and it felt great. great spin and control with good amount of power.

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7239457)
I like this string a lot, i string it at 55lbs and it felt great. great spin and control with good amount of power.

thanks EastAngles2014

i was going to try mid tension on both the PD/Blade if i didnt get any joy on here and 55lbs sounds about right.

cheers Garry

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 08:52 AM

I used it on an Aero and it was great then i made the change to the blade (same one you have) and it hasn't felt the same i am not sure it it is the 18x20 pattern and it doesn't have the same amount of spin potential but it is still a very solid string, one of my favorite polys. I felt it held tension very well and stayed playable for a long time. I just had to move on because of the price.

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 08:53 AM

i suggest dropping tenison in the blade to around 51 or 52 if you want the spin btw i just didn't have a chance to try it because i ran out.

gtshark1 02-27-2013 10:04 AM

Prince Beast XP is my "go to" string. Its the string I use most commonly. I have used it full bed and recently I have used it in mains with Gosen Micro Sheep in cross to cut down on price.

A couple things I like about the string include control, feel, and the life seems longer than most other polys I have tried. Spin is good but not incredible.

I still search for a better string as I feel Beast isnt perfect, but again its my preference right now. I dont use the same racquet so I cant help with tension, plus I'm one of the odd people that prefers hi tension poly.

If you have any questions I will for sure monitor the thread and try to answer.

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7239717)
I used it on an Aero and it was great then i made the change to the blade (same one you have) and it hasn't felt the same i am not sure it it is the 18x20 pattern and it doesn't have the same amount of spin potential but it is still a very solid string, one of my favorite polys. I felt it held tension very well and stayed playable for a long time. I just had to move on because of the price.

thanks again for the info:)

for some reason when playing the blade i hit flatter strokes/inches over the net with minimal spin which to be honest i like far better than the loopy spin of the PD,dont get me wrong i love the ease of power out of the PD and i can rip the hell out of the ball from all over the court.

the blade i just love that low powered control side of it and i do play better in doubles,ive got it 6pts HL so its a bit easier to swing but still thuds a ball,serves are well down on power but i can be pin point with them as i can just blast them with the PD.

i will string the PD @ 56 or 55lbs and will try the Blade @52lbs

again many thanks for your input

cheers Garry

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtshark1 (Post 7239906)
Prince Beast XP is my "go to" string. Its the string I use most commonly. I have used it full bed and recently I have used it in mains with Gosen Micro Sheep in cross to cut down on price.

A couple things I like about the string include control, feel, and the life seems longer than most other polys I have tried. Spin is good but not incredible.

I still search for a better string as I feel Beast isnt perfect, but again its my preference right now. I dont use the same racquet so I cant help with tension, plus I'm one of the odd people that prefers hi tension poly.

hi gtshark1

many thanks for your input:)

from what ive dug up on the net it does seem a nice string but a tad expensive,as in my 1st post i got a few sets very very cheap and even if i fall in love with it i doubt i would use it again as i can get 3 sets of pro's pro blackout for 1 set of XP and i do rate the pro's pro BO highly as ive played it both in my PD and Blade.

also shame the colour is puke green lol

thanks again

Torres 02-27-2013 11:04 AM

I think JackB1 has played with this string quite a bit. You might want to ask him to chip in with his review?

Are you still liking that blue Yonex string, Gary? I strung up a racquet with it the other day and really like the way the string played.

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7240036)
I think JackB1 has played with this string quite a bit. You might want to ask him to chip in with his review?

Are you still liking that blue Yonex string, Gary? I strung up a racquet with it the other day and really like the way the string played.

hi Torres

not played the blue yonex string for a while now but i will go back to it at some point as like you say its a very very good string at a good price too.
think it might suit the blade for my doubles as its low powered:)

ive still got a few sets of yellow yonex to try in the blade and i like that alot too,dont no if you knew but i had blue yonex in the mains and yellow yonex in the crosses in my PD and that played very well too,stll plenty of spin but with added power from the yellow yonex,i just liked the full bed of yellow in the PD as it looked better but again i will go back to that setup at some point,
thats the perils/joys of having your own stringing machine and more strings at your disposal than you can shake a stick at lol

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryClarke (Post 7239991)
thanks again for the info:)

for some reason when playing the blade i hit flatter strokes/inches over the net with minimal spin which to be honest i like far better than the loopy spin of the PD,dont get me wrong i love the ease of power out of the PD and i can rip the hell out of the ball from all over the court.

the blade i just love that low powered control side of it and i do play better in doubles,ive got it 6pts HL so its a bit easier to swing but still thuds a ball,serves are well down on power but i can be pin point with them as i can just blast them with the PD.

i will string the PD @ 56 or 55lbs and will try the Blade @52lbs

again many thanks for your input

cheers Garry

I loved the easy power i got from my aero but i improved my game a lot of the last few months and have been hitting the ball a lot better so i needed something that was more stable and allowed me to really hit through the ball and that's what the blade gives me. I am going to be trying out BHSR in my blade next at about 52 or 53lbs.

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtshark1 (Post 7239906)

How much help do you get from hybriding beast in terms of price because i cant pay that much for a string no matter how much i like it.

gtshark1 02-27-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7240237)
How much help do you get from hybriding beast in terms of price because i cant pay that much for a string no matter how much i like it.

The difference is minimal but there. Full bed is crisper and a little more stiff. The Syn Gut softens it up a bit but I tried it because of price and its fine for me. Again, I'm not 100% sold on Beast as the perfect string but in full bed and hybrid its the best I found for myself overall.

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtshark1 (Post 7240328)
The difference is minimal but there. Full bed is crisper and a little more stiff. The Syn Gut softens it up a bit but I tried it because of price and its fine for me. Again, I'm not 100% sold on Beast as the perfect string but in full bed and hybrid its the best I found for myself overall.

I am not quite sold either but it is my favorite poly and i haven't tried a whole lot but a fair amount but the price keeps pushing me away. :(

GarryClarke 02-27-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7240234)
I loved the easy power i got from my aero but i improved my game a lot of the last few months and have been hitting the ball a lot better so i needed something that was more stable and allowed me to really hit through the ball and that's what the blade gives me. I am going to be trying out BHSR in my blade next at about 52 or 53lbs.

i do hear where your coming from and as like the PD you can put in minimal effort but proper ground strokes to get a mass of spin or a thumping flat 1st serve

like you my game has improved and i wanted to try a more controlled racket with a tighter string pattern which to me/my coaches surprise worked very well and in doubles its an absolute pleasure to use as long as my technique doesnt go walk about which it does alot lol

looking forward to try the beast xp and should find out on sunday

KoaUka 02-27-2013 04:41 PM

Dig the beast. I like it best as a main w/ a multi or syn gut cross. It also works well as a cross w/ nat. gut

JackB1 02-27-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7240036)

Correct Torres. Beast is one of my favorite poly's. It just has such a nice almost plush feel on impact and has nice pop as well. Seems to last very well also. Just a fantastic smooth, round poly, so it also works great in hybrids with gut mains. I have a full bed of Beast 16g currently in my Steam 99s and it is playing great.

Only negative is that green color might clash with some frames :)

EastAngels2014 02-27-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7240863)
Correct Torres. Beast is one of my favorite poly's. It just has such a nice almost plush feel on impact and has nice pop as well. Seems to last very well also. Just a fantastic smooth, round poly, so it also works great in hybrids with gut mains. I have a full bed of Beast 16g currently in my Steam 99s and it is playing great.

Only negative is that green color might clash with some frames :)

Have you found anything that plays pretty similar but its cheaper?

Torres 02-28-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7240863)

How does it play compared to other well known polys? How do its characteristics change over its string life? Tension? Comparative stiffness to other well known polys? How many hours does it last before going dead, and does it stiffen when dead?

Some specific information would be more useful.

ricki 02-28-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7241244)
How does it play compared to other well known polys? How do its characteristics change over its string life? Tension? Comparative stiffness to other well known polys? How many hours does it last before going dead, and does it stiffen when dead?

Some specific information would be more useful.

Average spin, Average durability for poly (saws into itself pretty), Does not go "dead" - stablest poly I played, Power is fairly big - I recommend string tighter (25 kg)