Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ball Machine Owners/Users? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456117)

eastbayliz 02-27-2013 10:40 PM

Ball Machine Owners/Users?

Anyone own their own Ball Machine? I have a budget (yet still expensive) Tennis Tutor Pro Lite. I got back into tennis a year ago and bought to get in practice to prepare for tournaments. I was renting a ball machine at some local courts but decided that the best investment would be to get my own machine.

Tamiya 02-28-2013 02:01 AM

Just curious how much does your local courts charge to hire their ball machine?

Lakers4Life 02-28-2013 02:43 AM

Check out Craigslist in your area. Someone is usually selling one or practically giving them away sometimes.

eastbayliz 02-28-2013 11:32 AM

Ball Machine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya (Post 7241256)
Just curious how much does your local courts charge to hire their ball machine?

There is a local public tennis center and that is where I've used it. $10 per half hour/$15 for an hour. No court fee. Pretty nice machine.

eastbayliz 02-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7241282)
Check out Craigslist in your area. Someone is usually selling one or practically giving them away sometimes.

I did find one on CL but not the specific one I wanted. I bet it depends on where in the country you live how many choices you have.

JoeR 02-28-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7242180)
There is a local public tennis center and that is where I've used it. $10 per half hour/$15 for an hour. No court fee. Pretty nice machine.

I'd be interesting in hearing where the rentals are.

What part of the east bay are you in?

The only place I've found so far with ball machines over there are the courts in Walnut Creek... and they wanted $9/day per person just to use the courts. I didn't bother to ask how much the ball machine rentals were.

Thanks!

eastbayliz 02-28-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 7242362)
I'd be interesting in hearing where the rentals are.

What part of the east bay are you in?

The only place I've found so far with ball machines over there are the courts in Walnut Creek... and they wanted $9/day per person just to use the courts. I didn't bother to ask how much the ball machine rentals were.

Thanks!

I am in Oakland. How about you? Davies Tennis Stadium in Piedmont/Oakland is where I rented the machine. Very nice public courts-great environment to play in.

Lakers4Life 03-01-2013 01:28 AM

I just got a Lobster Elite 123 for the price of a new battery. ($81.75 + Gas)

tennis_ocd 03-01-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7242180)

That's tough to beat. $15 for an hour of hitting and they provide the balls and free court. Contrast this with lugging a machine, balls, racket, pick-up and finding a free court (and you need several as to not interfere with anyone.)

I got a machine when learning and loved it. The more I played and found hitting partners, the less and less I've used it. It is work!

eastbayliz 03-05-2013 09:32 PM

Nice find!

eastbayliz 03-05-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_ocd (Post 7243646)
That's tough to beat. $15 for an hour of hitting and they provide the balls and free court. Contrast this with lugging a machine, balls, racket, pick-up and finding a free court (and you need several as to not interfere with anyone.)

I got a machine when learning and loved it. The more I played and found hitting partners, the less and less I've used it. It is work!

Hitting partners are vital. My machine has been an attempt to get back into the game without having to find a lot of partners. But tonight I hit with a live person and it was a different story. My basic budget machine does very little as far as mimicking actual play. But I love my machine and feel like it was a good investment. I have a nice setup where I don't have to transport it. That would be a pain and actually very difficult to do at all since I ride a scooter.

Lakers4Life 03-06-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7253847)
Hitting partners are vital. My machine has been an attempt to get back into the game without having to find a lot of partners. But tonight I hit with a live person and it was a different story. My basic budget machine does very little as far as mimicking actual play. But I love my machine and feel like it was a good investment. I have a nice setup where I don't have to transport it. That would be a pain and actually very difficult to do at all since I ride a scooter.

The guy I got my machine from was rich, in a neighborhood where all the surrounding houses had a tennis court. He was a retiree and did not need the machine anymore, because he did not need to practice by himself. So he gave it away, I just happen to be the first person to answer his ad. Though the caveat was it was "as is" no warranty, I told him, "Beggers can't be choosers!" and we both laughed. I could have probably gotten the battery cheaper than what I paid for it (directly from Lobster). At least I was able to use it right away.

schenkelini 03-06-2013 11:05 AM

I answered that ad too. It was within two hours of the posting. I wondered who beat me out.

DaveInBradenton 03-08-2013 03:51 AM

I returned to tennis after a 15 year rest break.

I bought a Tennis Cube for $630. It's very basic, but it has proved to be just the ticket for me (intermediate player). It's adjustable for elevation, ball speed, and interval between shots. It will load a hopper of balls, about 65. It also has an oscillation feature.

The unit is compact and fits in the front seat of my Mustang. Weight is under 30 pounds so it's very portable. When done, I just plug it in to the charger and it's ready to go for the next day.

First I used Penn no-pressure balls. These worked fine (albeit stiffer than regular balls), but may have contributed to my getting tennis elbow (mostly caused by my one hand backhand), so I switched to Tretorn Micro-X balls. They play the same as standard pressurized balls, but do not lose their bounce. Very durable too.

I've used the Tennis Cube an average of two times a week for 6 months and certainly recommend it. It's shortcoming is that the elevation system is a bit imprecise, and requires some trial and error to make changes.

Best wishes,
Dave

pvallas 03-11-2013 11:39 AM

tennis tutor ball machine for sale

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7241189)
Anyone own their own Ball Machine? I have a budget (yet still expensive) Tennis Tutor Pro Lite. I got back into tennis a year ago and bought to get in practice to prepare for tournaments. I was renting a ball machine at some local courts but decided that the best investment would be to get my own machine.

I have a tennis tutor ball machine for sale that you might be interested in.I will give you a great deal.It is loaded with everything you need and can shoot the ball at up to 80 mph;hardly used it so it really hasn`t been broken in yet.My email address is paulvallas@surewest.net