Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New shoes - slight knee pain...factors? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456133)

keithfival 02-28-2013 07:01 AM

New shoes - slight knee pain...factors?

My shoe for the past 2 years, Tour Vision, has been discontinued and they sent me a pair of the new Rush as a replacement, which ride lower, snugger and maybe slightly less cushiony.

They feel great on my feet, I think my feet feel a bit better than with TV, but after 2 weeks I'm noticing some slight soreness just above both of my kneecaps, something I've never ever ever felt before.

Anyone have a sense of what parameter might be related to this? My guess is the lower riding heels of these is making me a little more flatfooted (less on my toes) creating more shock and causing my knees to hyperextend backwards a little?

WildVolley 02-28-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithfival (Post 7241537)
They feel great on my feet, I think my feet feel a bit better than with TV, but after 2 weeks I'm noticing some slight soreness just above both of my kneecaps, something I've never ever ever felt before.

Anyone have a sense of what parameter might be related to this? My guess is the lower riding heels of these is making me a little more flatfooted (less on my toes) creating more shock and causing my knees to hyperextend backwards a little?

Interesting, and your theory might be correct.

However, if your theory is correct, then you have become too dependent on heel lift in shoes to your detriment. A flatter shoe is actually more athletic as it allows more range of movement with the leg muscles (which is why sprint spikes, for instance, do not have a built up heel). This requires more leg strength and flexibility. I believe a lot of people have become too dependent on the shoe to keep them on their toes, rather than using their own muscles which means that their leg flexibility decreases.

Start stretching your legs after play and try to stay on your toes and see if it makes a difference.

keithfival 03-01-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 7241969)
Interesting, and your theory might be correct.

However, if your theory is correct, then you have become too dependent on heel lift in shoes to your detriment. A flatter shoe is actually more athletic as it allows more range of movement with the leg muscles (which is why sprint spikes, for instance, do not have a built up heel). This requires more leg strength and flexibility. I believe a lot of people have become too dependent on the shoe to keep them on their toes, rather than using their own muscles which means that their leg flexibility decreases.

Start stretching your legs after play and try to stay on your toes and see if it makes a difference.

Good points, I thought that was the case (lower = better). I'll try to consciously stay on my toes and see if it feels any different.