Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Your help needed for college recruiting advice!! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456147)

coaching32yrs 02-28-2013 07:37 AM

Your help needed for college recruiting advice!!

Player is a class of 2014 lower 4 star. Was all set to go D3, but now mid level D1ís are coming at him hard. While not a lot of money the fringe benefits are unbelievable- training facilities, coaching, clothing, personal attention, tutors, trips etc. His guidance counselor is telling him to go D1. We are confused. Help us with your thoughts.

Misterbill 02-28-2013 07:45 AM

I am not sure why the benefits of D1 tennis are referred to as "unbelievable". They all seem pretty standard and well-known to me..............except for that "trips" thing. You are not referring to trips for matches, are you? Does any school in any division require players to pay for those?

Pretty tough issue to address without knowing the player's academic credentials and aspirations............and stuff such as geographical, climate, and social life preferences

barringer97 02-28-2013 08:28 AM

D1.

Better players, likely a bigger school. Go for it.

kme5150 02-28-2013 08:31 AM

There are a ton of D1 schools that would be happy to get a 4 star. Like Misterbill said, you are going to have to be a lot more specific on his academic credentials and preferences. There are over 100 D1 schools that would take him if the fit was right.

jigglypuff 02-28-2013 08:42 AM

Don't go to a D1 school just for the sake of a few freebies. Go if the academic standards are comparable.

maggmaster 02-28-2013 08:49 AM

Also if his academics are good, push for academic aid from the lower d1 schools. I was able to get aid at my d3 school via academics because my test scores were very high but the coach started the process for me.

Misterbill 02-28-2013 09:18 AM

One reason the player may be confused is that the guidance counselor is providing athletic advice! That is possible, of course, but very unusual.

Typically, guidance counselors advise about academics/internships/social atmosphere and the athletic director would advise about athletics. Then the student would assess the two sets of advice

Again, without knowing more about the academic profile of the student and the schools involved, this is a pretty abstract issue. I think better information might be forthcoming if more facts were provided (without compromising privacy of course)

coaching32yrs 02-28-2013 09:29 AM

Good not great student. Good not great SAT's. Guidance counselor was a college asst AD and D1 player. Wants to stay in northeast. Major undecided. Top D3 schools that compete for national title very interested.

gavna 02-28-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7241736)
Player is a class of 2014 lower 4 star. Was all set to go D3, but now mid level D1ís are coming at him hard. While not a lot of money the fringe benefits are unbelievable- training facilities, coaching, clothing, personal attention, tutors, trips etc. His guidance counselor is telling him to go D1. We are confused. Help us with your thoughts.

As a parent of 3 who has had 2 so far play D1 and child #3 in the process of looking at schools.........pick the SCHOOL - remove the coaches and the extra stuff from the equation - what school is the best fit....coaches and players move on, IF you child stops playing for any reason will they be happy at that SCHOOL?

Misterbill 02-28-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7241966)
Good not great student. Good not great SAT's. Guidance counselor was a college asst AD and D1 player. Wants to stay in northeast. Major undecided. Top D3 schools that compete for national title very interested.

If we are talking top DIIIs that compete for national titles, I guess we are talking top academic schools as well. Don't they have training facilities, coaching, clothing, trips too? I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

So, assuming geography and climate are a wash...along with the coaching and facilities etc....... seems it comes down to:

DI---some athletic scholy money, tutors, no special academic credentials, no shot at national team competition

DIII---no athletic scholy money, probably great academic credentials, shot at national team competition

Does this begin to narrow it down for him? (Without knowing more, I'm beginning to think that guidance counselor should start collecting his/her pension)

drfrankfree 02-28-2013 10:58 AM

The absolute best piece of advice I can give you is to VISIT each school. Talk to the players, watch a match, attend a class if you can. Taking visits, official or otherwise, was the single biggest factor in my sons college choice. All of the D1 perks in the world do not matter if the campus environment sucks and the kids on the teams are jerks.

tennis5 02-28-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7241736)
Player is a class of 2014 lower 4 star. Was all set to go D3, but now mid level D1’s are coming at him hard. While not a lot of money the fringe benefits are unbelievable- training facilities, coaching, clothing, personal attention, tutors, trips etc. His guidance counselor is telling him to go D1. We are confused. Help us with your thoughts.

Congrats! It is nice to have so many options.

Now, if you said he was going pro, and was deciding between UVA and a top D3 school, I would say UVA.

But, as his future is not tennis, pick the school that best suits him academically
( and is a bit of reach academically too as he might grow/mature a bit mentally into a better student).

Or imagine, he broke his leg and couldn't play, what school is the best fit for him academically?

And I would ask the guidance counselor to help advise your son on the academic issues, not the athletics.
The athletic conversation belongs to his coach or high school tennis coach.

Anyway, I know there are some other parents on this board who are going through the same year,
or already have, so hopefully they can jump in and give you some advice on D1 versus D3 Tennis.

Good luck.

Coach Carter 02-28-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 7241985)
If we are talking top DIIIs that compete for national titles, I guess we are talking top academic schools as well. Don't they have training facilities, coaching, clothing, trips too? I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

So, assuming geography and climate are a wash...along with the coaching and facilities etc....... seems it comes down to:

DI---some athletic scholy money, tutors, no special academic credentials, no shot at national team competition

DIII---no athletic scholy money, probably great academic credentials, shot at national team competition

Does this begin to narrow it down for him? (Without knowing more, I'm beginning to think that guidance counselor should start collecting his/her pension)

I'm right there with Misterbill! If this kid has been looking D3 and has the academics to get a good academic package then I'd be looking at a top notch D3 power program where he/she could be a part of something truly special, not some "also ran" situation getting runover by the bigger schools. Anybody can buy t-shirts with the school name and TENNIS on them. Go make some memories for a life time somewhere!

coaching32yrs 02-28-2013 02:08 PM

Lots of good advice here. Thanks. One more question. A couple of coaches from top academic D3 schools say they can get him in if he goes early decision. Without tennis he would have no chance of getting in. Is this a good idea or will the academics be too much for him?

tennis5 02-28-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coaching32yrs (Post 7242519)
Lots of good advice here. Thanks. One more question. A couple of coaches from top academic D3 schools say they can get him in if he goes early decision. Without tennis he would have no chance of getting in. Is this a good idea or will the academics be too much for him?

In regards, to D3, a lot of coaches can say anything. And then guess what you appled ED and he doesn't get in.
Admissions admit, not coaches.
Also, sometimes even with a positive pre read, you still can get deferrred or even rejected.
It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen....

Hard to say about academics if you don't say which schools.
If he goes to a competitive high school ( that sends kids to highly selective schools) and he is a B+ student, I think he will be ok.

Chemist 02-28-2013 04:28 PM

If the D1 school is public and the D3s are private, there would be a fair large difference in tuition. But if the money is not an issue and D3s are significantly better academically, going to a D3 seems like a better option. Your kid should take unofficial visits to both D1 and D3 campuses before making decisions.

I am also puzzled how a D1 coach would be able to contact a junior and offer a position and $. NCAA has very strict rules - a tennis coach is only allowed to contact a junior after July 1.

Misterbill 02-28-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7242784)
If the D1 school is public and the D3s are private, there would be a fair large difference in tuition. But if the money is not an issue and D3s are significantly better academically, going to a D3 seems like a better option. Your kid should take unofficial visits to both D1 and D3 campuses before making decisions.

I am also puzzled how a D1 coach would be able to contact a junior and offer a position and $. NCAA has very strict rules - a tennis coach is only allowed to contact a junior after July 1.

I don't think that is right.

Juniors out there, after Sept 1 of your junior year, D1 coaches may (and believe me if they are interested in you they will) contact you in writing. You may call them and have a conversation with them. You may arrange unofficial visits and have conversations with them. Lots of D1 coaches in lots of sports are well into their 2014 recruiting as we speak

EDIT: You may call and try to arrange a visit anytime, don't have to wait until Sept 1 of junior year

drfrankfree 02-28-2013 04:59 PM

Coaching32yrs.....if the coach says he can get your kid in, then he can get your kid in. Top level D3 coaches do not make promises like that unless they can follow through. Now, that being said, if your kids ends up lousing around senior year and veering off course, your admission at top schools can be rescinded. My son did,in fact, get into schools that he otherwise would not have because of help from coaches. This happens in every sport. It is more common than you think.

klu375 02-28-2013 06:33 PM

Many juniors already have D1 offers and a few already committed. Basically after you post SAT and GPA you may get an offer if the coach knows you.

Tennis5 is right - in the top academic D3 the coach does not have full control of the admission decisions. So you get your positive pre-read, apply ED and cross your fingers. And do not sever relationships with coaches from other D3 schools - some of them have EDII that may come handy.

tennis5 02-28-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drfrankfree (Post 7242866)
Coaching32yrs.....if the coach says he can get your kid in, then he can get your kid in. Top level D3 coaches do not make promises like that unless they can follow through. Now, that being said, if your kids ends up lousing around senior year and veering off course, your admission at top schools can be rescinded. My son did,in fact, get into schools that he otherwise would not have because of help from coaches. This happens in every sport. It is more common than you think.

Just not true for D3. Sorry.

Tennis can help you get into a highly selective D3 that perhaps you could not get into with out tennis.

But, coaches for D3 can not "get your kid in".