Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Playing fixtures in Australia (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456201)

coolkoala 02-28-2013 05:24 PM

Playing fixtures in Australia

Questions to fellow TT members in Australia: How do I know Im playing in the right division?

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-28-2013 06:02 PM

ouch, that's a big question, and really depends where you are in this great brown land.

should probably page Gregor B to the thread, he's the man for QLD

I guess th e short answer is, are you winning? if you win/lose about 50 % or at least have tight matches, then you are probably in the right division!

if the numbers swing further than about 75% either way, then you're probably not..

The long answer involves various states using different systems and is a bit of a pain, really.

In Hobart, for example, everything is ITN based, even down to individual ratings being split (ie, a player might be a 3.5 (NTRP 5.5, US observers) in Hobart even though there is technically no such rating)

But that's what I know, I have no idea how it's done in QLD..

coolkoala 02-28-2013 07:51 PM

Thanks for this info. Its sad because when I joined last year, the organisers didnt even watch me play to decide in which division I should be in. I feel I should be in a higher division and my opponents are telling me the same thing..

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-28-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkoala (Post 7243169)
Thanks for this info. Its sad because when I joined last year, the organisers didnt even watch me play to decide in which division I should be in. I feel I should be in a higher division and my opponents are telling me the same thing..

mate of mine plays in some league down on the Gold Coast where they just seem to take a guess then move people based on their results after each season.

They just put poor Joe in the lowest Division despite him having one a couple of matches in Open tournaments, it was chaos! They moved him, but it seems like there wasn't any kind of grading done in advance..

coolkoala 02-28-2013 09:36 PM

Obviously not fair if you're paying annual membership and court hire during fixtures:-(

coolkoala 03-02-2013 11:41 PM

How about getting a professional coach to rate my skills?? And advise the fixture organisers?

Timbo's hopeless slice 03-03-2013 02:29 PM

well, yes, you could certainly get an on-court ITN assessment done by any TA coach

(we all had to do a clinic about it, so everyone can do it!)

that would probably help, but I don't know a lot about QLD tennis.

you know what thye say, "we are now landing in Brisbane, set your watch back 30 years"

coolkoala 03-03-2013 06:14 PM

Lol! Where I live id say wind the clock 50 yrs back. Cheers mate, much appreciated!