Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   50 years from now (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456238)

eman resu 03-01-2013 05:19 AM

50 years from now

It just came to my mind that if I develop my game around big hitting (power serves, strong groundstrokes, even though I S&V a lot), I might become a great player and win many matches against the folks here (casual recreational tennis, max 4.5 maybe). However, if I get used to force my way through, I'm setting myself a dead-end limit: I'm 26, and I can do fine bashing the ball, but I won't have the same condition when I'm 76. I'll have a style of play and a know-how on court that just won't suit my body and physical condition. Actually, I'll be lucky if my body can still handle any tennis at all. I'll suck, then.
On the other hand If I spend the next 50 years playing easy on the ball (still agressive playing, but not hard), I may lose more now, but actually be a better player when I reach my 60s or 70s - I'll have all the experience AND a style of play that doesn't rely on my body strenght or muscles. My joints will also thank me on my non-tennis life.
I guess that would be a smart decision to take now, especially as I play just for fun and have no intention or capacity to play professionaly or in competitions.

What do you think I should focus on to reach my goal? HOw to play agressively without using power only? HOw to use the other guy's power against him? I'm open to technique tips, types of racquets (heavy mid for control or MP/OS for easy power?) and any thoughts you may have to contribute to the discussion.

slowfox 03-01-2013 05:23 AM

Be crafty.
Nice that you're thinking long term. Kudos.

luvforty 03-01-2013 06:18 AM

develop the best game you can with the conti grip -

serve is always priority #1, regardless of age;
volleys free you up from grinding baseline;
fh and bh slices give you very wide reach without having to cover lots of ground.

Mongolmike 03-01-2013 09:35 AM

If you develop a smash style, hard hitting style now... who's to say that you won't still be hitting a harder ball RELATIVE to the other 60-70 yr olds you play in future years?

You won't be hitting as hard as you do now, but you might be hitting harder then most of the oldsters you'll be playing against then... with the benefit of them being less mobile.

If anything, you're heavier hitting might be even MORE effective as your opponents age... especially on serves if you have location too.

I'd say develop the style that suits YOU now... your game will evolve as you do. AND as you develop your game now, won't competancy in all areas/styles suit you well today also, and down the road?

user92626 03-02-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7243801)
develop the best game you can with the conti grip -

serve is always priority #1, regardless of age;volleys free you up from grinding baseline;
fh and bh slices give you very wide reach without having to cover lots of ground.

Why do I keep hearing that serve is #1 or the most important shot? At all levels -- recreational to pros -- I don't know anyone that wins largely by his so called big serve. The insignificance of the serve is even more obvious at recreational level. Serve is nearly always returnable, except when the levels are too uneven.

#1 would be your keen observation of shots and movement.

eman resu 03-02-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7245948)
Why do I keep hearing that serve is #1 or the most important shot? At all levels -- recreational to pros -- I don't know anyone that wins largely by his so called big serve. The insignificance of the serve is even more obvious at recreational level. Serve is nearly always returnable, except when the levels are too uneven.

#1 would be your keen observation of shots and movement.

I have to agree that a big serve alone won't do it. I have a very strong and developed serve (for my recreational level), includind a wicked kick serve, and even though I do get many free points, I seem to win more easily when I go about 50 or 60 %. I'm starting to guess that many times when I go for huge bombs, my mind is not clear enough to play the point and I'll likely make more mistakes on not so difficult returns. People seem to handle a fast serve better than a well placed one - they somehow get it back, and with an unclear mind, even a weaker return becomes tricky. And then, of course, I try even harder on the next one, eventually getting tired, frustrated and defeated. In the end, I'll win or lose if my overall game is better or worse than the other guy's, regardless of my so-called big serve. There's no point on forcing my shoulders to ace the opponent, in this case.

nice opinions, keep them coming, guys.

LeeD 03-02-2013 12:57 PM

50 years from now, I would have be buried for 45 years, and could care less what's happening to the world in 2063.

Relinquis 03-02-2013 02:11 PM

play how you need to win now...

learn skills that make you a complete player so that if you lose pace, you'll still have touch shots, court positioning and a good tennis brain.

loopy topspin takes as much effort as hitting through the ball.. both will be difficult when you are 60+.

answer, play as you are but add:
- drop shot and lob.
- ability to play at the net (volley, drop volley, playing doubles etc..)
- a decent backhand slice will go a long way
- understand directionals and other tennis strategies.

NLBwell 03-02-2013 09:39 PM

Approximately 15 years after Iran develops a nuclear weapon - which may be in the next couple of years - they will have over 1000 ICBMs tipped with nuclear weapons. The limiting factor is how quickly they can obtain enough uranium they can enrich.
There's a decent chance that there won't be much worry about tennis in much of the world.

Just play all-out and have fun. We are living in the golden age.

tennytive 03-03-2013 04:58 AM

50 years from now I would think they will make phosphorescent balls, nets and lines so everyone can play at night without lights.

As to your question, you can play the same way you do now, just not as long or as many days in a row.

Kalin 03-03-2013 05:11 PM

Start playing in diapers to get used to the feeling...

Also, develop your game around your current strengths; nobody knows what condition your body/equipment/courts will be in 50 years. The only think that it's maybe best to avoid is extreme things- extreme grips, super-heavy topspin, game based on constant running and retrieving. These will probably be harder to do in 30/40/50 years