Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Serrano UV-550-B (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456304)

marosmith 03-01-2013 03:01 PM

Serrano UV-550-B

I saw one of these on Craigslist for $50 and I simply couldn't resist.

I have had my father in law stringing my rackets and got rid of my old gamma table top stringer a couple years ago. Since then I haven't really strung.

This unit came with the original owners business book, instructions, and number of tools and clamps etc...

Even better it came with a couple packs of strings, and some leather grips!

I had no string on me and decided to break it in with my Prestige Mid.

I had a half set of VS Gut 16g and Ashaway 15l gut, both looked to be over 25 years old!

After trial and error I did VS mains and Ashaway crosses. Definitely glad I had a couple awls and some olive oil on the last two crosses!

This machine really is wonderful. Took over 3 hours to get it going and to string the racket. It needed some grease to get the clamps and bars to slide freely and switching the mains clamps to cross clamps was a little tricky.

This unit was built in 1976 and definitely has the upgraded mounts as it can easily do an OS sized frame.

I will tryi to post pics!

marosmith 03-01-2013 03:08 PM

Lakers4Life 03-01-2013 03:30 PM

Ingenious design for circa 1970. Those look like Prince glide bar clamps.

marosmith 03-01-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7245097)
Ingenious design for circa 1970. Those look like Prince glide bar clamps.

I agree. Once I got it figured out I realized how darn fast this machine is with the foot operated weight and the gripper is pretty quick too.

All I know is if I can string a prestige mid with 25+ year old gut with it I can string anything!!

ATP100 03-01-2013 07:46 PM

Weights look backwards, what does the owner's manual say?

marosmith 03-01-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP100 (Post 7245436)
Weights look backwards, what does the owner's manual say?

Yes I took the pic before I fixed them. That's how they were when I picked it up.

coachrick 03-02-2013 05:35 AM

Wow, here comes those eye-twitches I get when thinking of the hundreds of rackets I strung on that machine(middle '70s and early '80s). I don't remember a padded clamp handle, however.

Couple of thoughts. You'll likely make your own decision; but having the clamp handles facing the cross-strings already installed just gets them out of the way while you're stringing the next cross...also makes them easier to operate as you near the last few crosses on a top-down pattern.

That machine really brings back memories! Good find!

coachrick 03-02-2013 05:36 AM

Also, we bought hundreds of sets of string from Ashaway over the years; but I never knew of Ashaway Natural Gut. Since they were an American company, I wonder if it was re-branded American Eagle?

dak95_00 03-02-2013 06:27 AM

Are these machines considered to be automatic drop weight like the Stringways? I've been wondering for some time.

coachrick 03-02-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7245916)
Are these machines considered to be automatic drop weight like the Stringways? I've been wondering for some time.

You know, when we were using them back in the '70s, I don't think there was a great deal of concern about the lever angle...as long as the lever arm didn't bottom out. The degree range for the arm was not that great...you pretty much were between 2:00 and 3:00(more or less, I reckon ;) ) when stringing a 'normal' string. No poly and not much Kevlar 'back then'...something like Blue Star would likely bottom out on the first pull, so a second might be necessary. A few others like Guttex might be stretchy enough to bottom out on the first pull.

marosmith 03-02-2013 09:00 AM

Yes I saved the Ashaway package and will try to post a pic.

In stringing the gut it never bottomed out. Doesn't seem like there is enough room for it to do that the way it's configured.

ATP100 03-02-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak95_00 (Post 7245916)

I was taught to have the weight bar level when tensioning. (clamping)
Right or wrong, I did hundreds, if not thousands of racquets doing
this.

I still own and use this machine from time to time.

Lakers4Life 03-02-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP100 (Post 7246439)
I was taught to have the weight bar level when tensioning. (clamping)
Right or wrong, I did hundreds, if not thousands of racquets doing
this.

I still own and use this machine from time to time.

You are correct, but Serranos and Stringway/Laserfibre are automatic drop wieghts. The angle of the weight bar has no bearing as to tension being appied, once it's set.

tball 03-04-2013 10:38 AM

What lifts the weight after pulling?

marosmith 03-04-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7250370)
What lifts the weight after pulling?

After you clamp you push the foot lever and it lifts the weight.

jim e 03-05-2013 05:07 AM

Back in the 60's and early 70's I strung a lot of racquets on the Serrano. Nice that yours has the upgrade to hold the larger racquets. The upgrade has been long discontinued. I still have my old machine (no upgrade) , and will use it ocassionally when I get a wooden racquet.
Good luck.

marosmith 03-09-2013 07:00 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Some loctite and steel wool and the rust is gone! Now I just need to calibrate and clean the gripper.

coachrick 03-09-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marosmith (Post 7261686)
[IMG][/IMG]

Some loctite and steel wool and the rust is gone! Now I just need to calibrate and clean the gripper.

Wow...that's impressive. Speaking of the gripper, I recall more than one machine using a folded business card between the gripper and the string. Once the gripper started on the path of string destruction, it was hard to fix(at least for the folks I worked with).

Steve Huff 03-09-2013 09:01 PM

I, too, still have my old Serrano. It doesn't have the upgrade either. How does your leg feel after stringing one. Can you imaging those old stringers doing 20 a day on one of these? Well, they did. They probably had massive quads.

coachrick 03-09-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huff (Post 7262027)
I, too, still have my old Serrano. It doesn't have the upgrade either. How does your leg feel after stringing one. Can you imaging those old stringers doing 20 a day on one of these? Well, they did. They probably had massive quads.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! In the mid-seventies, we had a Serrano is decent shape and its clone, the Oliver. The Oliver's tension brake was busted, so we had to e-a-s-e the weight down with our leg. A SERIOUS one-legged workout! Did a good dozen rackets in a normal day...close to 20 on some days.