Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you deal with people who smashes a lot? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456314)

derickyan 03-01-2013 03:26 PM

How do you deal with people who smashes a lot?

So basically I am talking about a doubles match I played today. I think the number one reason why is lost is because his volleys were good and how he kept smashing. Usually he would stand in front and middle of the net and his partner in back. After the serve, i would use some topspin and hit it cross court, but since he is always in the middle, He would always some how smash the ball. I tried to lob less and hit it lower but his volleys would kill me.
Sorry this is kind of long, but any tips how i could get the ball through him?

Rui 03-01-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derickyan (Post 7245172)
So basically I am talking about a doubles match I played today. I think the number one reason why is lost is because his volleys were good and how he kept smashing. Usually he would stand in front and middle of the net and his partner in back. After the serve, i would use some topspin and hit it cross court, but since he is always in the middle, He would always some how smash the ball. I tried to lob less and hit it lower but his volleys would kill me.

First, don't go "through" him. Go around. You can't go around a guy at net in the middle with a CC from the corner...especially with topspin. IOW, you don't want him to volley at all. Go DTL.

OHBH 03-01-2013 04:18 PM

If your opponent is putting away most of your balls with relative ease he is probably just a better player. You'll have to try to thread the needle with some passing shots and do your best to keep him pinned back to the baseline when he is returning.

slowfox 03-01-2013 04:38 PM

Test his backhand smash. For most it's a weaker shot.
But as said above, go down the line.

derickyan 03-01-2013 04:54 PM

go DTL? I mean he's already in the middle of the court, so wouldn't he be able to get that too? And also, if I tried to get him to hit his backhand, couldnt he just go around the ball easily and use a forehand? (I dont have the strongest/powerful shots)

g4driver 03-01-2013 05:17 PM

1) Read "The Art of Doubles" by Pat Blaskower. Reference defending against Australian and I- Formations.

2) try hitting flat when you hit cross court in doubles, not Topspin shots that sit up for easier poaching

gmatheis 03-01-2013 05:45 PM

It sounds like you just dont have any pace on your groundstrokes. you may want to work on that for the future.

For right now though I suggest you learn to hit deep lob returns. they have to be high enough to get over the person at the net, and should be landing about halfway between the service line and the baseline. If you can put some topspin on them as well it will help to push them even further back after it bounces.

Relinquis 03-01-2013 05:57 PM

one of my friends used to play this way. stay at net, in middle, with his partner covering baseline.

i was always too proud to go down the line and would hit straight at him with pace, or try to be clever with a low clearance passing shot... Hitting at him with pace worked for a bit (knocking his stick back a few times), until he realised that he is bigger than a tennis ball and put some weight behind his volleys.. the 2nd strategy, passing shots were good sometimes, but lower percentage... going down teh line was great though. made him lunge out of position, gave us winners a few times and made him less comfortable to stay planted in the middel of the net.

Also, get to the net (or have your partner be at the net also). It will cut off a lot of the angles your opponent can use to hurt you. will be harder for him to win on his volleys.

i rarely play doubles, but this is my limited experience playing such players.

Hi I'm Ray 03-01-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derickyan (Post 7245291)
go DTL? I mean he's already in the middle of the court, so wouldn't he be able to get that too? And also, if I tried to get him to hit his backhand, couldnt he just go around the ball easily and use a forehand? (I dont have the strongest/powerful shots)

^^What? If he hangs out close to the middle or has a habit of running there you need to hit down the line often enough make him second guess whether you are going CC or DTL. He's smashing because you guys are giving him a lot of easy putaways. You need to be able to place the ball and control the flight path of your ball pretty well in doubles. You've got to hit every shot with a purpose & intent. If you don't have that yet you'll need to put in the practice time.
The other poster meant try to lob the ball so that he has to smash from his backhand side.

Mahboob Khan 03-01-2013 06:08 PM

Obviously, you have to improve your own shots (cross court, down the line, lobs, etc), then look for the opening i.e. either down the line, down the middle, or cross court. If you keep your shots low enough he won't be able to kill you with his first volley. The idea is to remove him a bit from his ideal volleying position and then hit in the gap. Occasional lobs are also very important because this way he will be thinking about two options: passing shot and lobs. Some players smash well when they are fresh but not so well when they get fatigued and some miss in tight situations. You have to explore all the situations in which he might miss.

NLBwell 03-01-2013 09:16 PM

If you guys are at similar levels, the key is really how good the serve is. If it is a weak serve, you should be able to easily put the ball down the line into the wide open alley. You also have time to mix it up with crosscourt shots and lobs to keep the net man off balance (though he will probably move back to the standard position after you pass him down the alley a few times).
If the serve is strong and you have problems returning well and can't put the ball where you want, having the net man playing in the middle and picking off all the easy balls is good strategy.

dominikk1985 03-03-2013 12:34 AM

high level doubles is about keeping the ball low, if you can even below net level.

it is normal that good dubs players kill balls that they can hit well above the net cord.

LuckyR 03-05-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derickyan (Post 7245172)

It depends. If he starts in the middle then they are playing I formation. There are techniques for dealing with that. OTOH if he lines up normally then moves to the middle after the serve is struck, that is poaching and there are different ways of dealing with that.

So which is it?