Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Pac-12 might as well be the Pac-2 when it comes to men's tennis. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456335)

SoCal10s 03-01-2013 10:06 PM

Pac-12 might as well be the Pac-2 when it comes to men's tennis.

''Pac-12 might as well be the Pac-2 when it comes to men's tennis''
original post by ''automator'' got me wondering .. why are so many players staying in SoCal rather than going to Stanford or Cal ? next year ..
.going to UCLA ..
Gage Brymer Irvine CA
Joseph DiGiulio Newport Beach CA
M. Mackenzie McDonald Piedmont CA
Michael Guzman Napa CA

and USC
Robbie Bellamy Pacific Palisades CA
Connor Farren Redwood City CA

I doubt if these guys will get any serious playing time.. why are they still committed to still go ? especially those from NorCal .. Guzman,Farren and McDonald .. if they chose to Stanford instead or Cal ,the Pac-12 would be somewhat interesting again..

ClarkC 03-02-2013 06:55 AM

There will be playing time in their second years onward at UCLA and USC. The UCLA guys will be competitive with Karue Sell at the bottom of the lineup in their first year. Alex Brigham will leave a doubles spot open in their first year, also.

andfor 03-02-2013 07:28 AM

But I thought the PAC-10 was so much better than the SEC? Is that not the case now?

treeman10 03-02-2013 08:52 AM

Stanford's dynamics as a team began suffering years ago. They may have been a good team ranking wise, but functionally they have been more like individuals playing tennis to more a degree than is healthy for a team. And Cal is an environment you have to want to be part of, especially these days, it is not for everyone. That is more of a statement about the school itself, not the tennis team. Then of course there's Peter Smith and the fact that UCLA is UCLA.

epaige 03-03-2013 11:40 AM

Harvard with sports (Stanford) will regroup this year and get better and better as time goes on.

andfor 03-03-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epaige (Post 7248680)
Harvard with sports (Stanford) will regroup this year and get better and better as time goes on.

I'd pick Harvard over Stanford in men's tennis this year and next. Ha ha.

topspinlob 03-04-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 7245699)
''Pac-12 might as well be the Pac-2 when it comes to men's tennis''
original post by ''automator'' got me wondering .. why are so many players staying in SoCal rather than going to Stanford or Cal ? next year ..
.going to UCLA ..
Gage Brymer Irvine CA
Joseph DiGiulio Newport Beach CA
M. Mackenzie McDonald Piedmont CA
Michael Guzman Napa CA

and USC
Robbie Bellamy Pacific Palisades CA
Connor Farren Redwood City CA

I doubt if these guys will get any serious playing time.. why are they still committed to still go ? especially those from NorCal .. Guzman,Farren and McDonald .. if they chose to Stanford instead or Cal ,the Pac-12 would be somewhat interesting again..

oh man I didn't know I was going to UCLA.. I have the same name as the kid from Napa!!

Anyhow I work at USC and I catch both men's and women's tennis matches from time to time. I was able to watch the doubles a couple weeks ago between UCLA and USC..From where I was seated I was able to watch 2 double matches closely..
the impressive ones to me were Sarmiento, Giron, Novikov and Brigam (he had some nice serve n volley tactics)...

bluetrain4 03-04-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 7246306)
Stanford's dynamics as a team began suffering years ago. They may have been a good team ranking wise, but functionally they have been more like individuals playing tennis to more a degree than is healthy for a team. And Cal is an environment you have to want to be part of, especially these days, it is not for everyone. That is more of a statement about the school itself, not the tennis team. Then of course there's Peter Smith and the fact that UCLA is UCLA.

What do you mean by that? Seriously. I visisted Berkeley for the first time maybe 3 years ago, now that my sister lives in the Bay Area. I always go see some friends in Oakland and spend some time in Berkeley when ever I visit the area. Seems like a perfectly nice place.

SoCal10s 03-04-2013 11:31 AM

this is not only a UCLA and USC thing .. I see Duke's and Virginia's bench also loaded with really top talents .. why aren't these guys transferring to a D1 college where they could be starters ?

andfor 03-04-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 7250532)
this is not only a UCLA and USC thing .. I see Duke's and Virginia's bench also loaded with really top talents .. why aren't these guys transferring to a D1 college where they could be starters ?

Same reason why you rarely see other Blue Chips and 5 stars at Mid-Major or up and coming/improving programs. Because tennis players gravitate to the biggest and best univeristy they think they can play at. If coaches can overload their rosters with Blue Chips and 5 stars to keep them from competing against them when they can they will. Mistakes by tennis players choosing programs over their head happens all the time.

JLyon 03-04-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7250703)
Same reason why you rarely see other Blue Chips and 5 stars at Mid-Major or up and coming/improving programs. Because tennis players gravitate to the biggest and best univeristy they think they can play at. If coaches can overload their rosters with Blue Chips and 5 stars to keep them from competing against them when they can. Mistakes by tennis players choosing programs over their head happens all the time.

While others are smart enough to go to a JUCO for 1-2 yrs and improve their game and get an offer to a bigger school then. ;)

treeman10 03-04-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7250524)
What do you mean by that? Seriously. I visisted Berkeley for the first time maybe 3 years ago, now that my sister lives in the Bay Area. I always go see some friends in Oakland and spend some time in Berkeley when ever I visit the area. Seems like a perfectly nice place.

I could make the same statement about every university, Stanford too, it wasn't meant as a slam. Academics, stats on the university, environment, not everyone fits every school and we were specifically discussing Cal and Stanford.

treeman10 03-04-2013 03:30 PM

.................................................. ...................

andfor 03-04-2013 04:57 PM

^^^Working your way up the ladder at top 20 programs is the exception not the norm. If you can't come in and start as a freshmen, that's not a position that's going to change much over the 4 yrears. More players come in the next year and so on.

SoCal10s 03-04-2013 08:16 PM

treeman10 ... come on be realistic... if you're on the bench and you're not top 6 by college age you are not going pro... those odds are less than winning the LOTTO...

treeman10 03-04-2013 09:34 PM

2ndServe 03-05-2013 03:57 AM

not sure why stanford doesn't get the recruits. Did they get a new coach cause for the last 40 years stanford has probably put out more money making pros than any school (a lot of those stanford guys seem to make a decent living a doubles or mixed) which is a pretty smart way of using their skill set.

andfor 03-05-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndServe (Post 7251825)
not sure why stanford doesn't get the recruits. Did they get a new coach cause for the last 40 years stanford has probably put out more money making pros than any school (a lot of those stanford guys seem to make a decent living a doubles or mixed) which is a pretty smart way of using their skill set.

They've trended down since the coaching change.

bluetrain4 03-05-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treeman10 (Post 7250942)
I could make the same statement about every university, Stanford too, it wasn't meant as a slam. Academics, stats on the university, environment, not everyone fits every school and we were specifically discussing Cal and Stanford.

I know you didn't mean it as a slam, I was just wondering if you were referring to something specific that would be a negative to most people. By "environment" I honestly didn't know if you meant the general vibe of Cal and the surrounding area (and as you rightly said, every place is going to be liked by some, disliked by others), or if you were talking about something specifically negative like problems with the team, in the athletic department, or in the university as a whole.

SoCal10s 03-05-2013 11:43 AM

^^^ I can't say what ''treeman'' was referring to but, maybe ... I used go to Berkeley area in the years past and it's what we would say ''very liberal '' .. it's not for everyone but I enjoy it...