Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Could this HS team challenge a top D2 school? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456394)

2ndServe 03-02-2013 01:41 PM

Could this HS team challenge a top D2 school?

I ran across this team while reading a local newspaper. This teams looks like it could be a top D2 college tennis.

http://universitytennis.webs.com/uniboyslatestnews.htm

Overdrive 03-02-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndServe (Post 7246784)
I ran across this team while reading a local newspaper. This teams looks like it could be a top D2 college tennis.

http://universitytennis.webs.com/uniboyslatestnews.htm

The kid in the middle with the tape on his hand looks like he's in a boy band for leisure. :)

tennisfu 03-02-2013 03:08 PM

Yes that would be a top 15 D2 team. I play on a team that finished top ten in D2 last year so I have some perspective on it.

Chemist 03-02-2013 03:52 PM

This team would have a good chance of beating most Mid-Major D1 teams.

andfor 03-02-2013 03:59 PM

They would be a good D2 or Mid-Major D1 team.

MarinaHighTennis 03-03-2013 11:25 AM

yes. Gage, Stephen, Tyler, Kona, etc. could play D1

In fact, Gage is going to UCLA

andfor 03-03-2013 11:43 AM

There a a number of H.S. teams like this around the the country. Maybe 5 or 6. Would be cool to see them play in the same tournament. I believe there's a big tournament every year in California where a bunch of top H.S. teams come together from around the country. Can't remember the name of that tournament. There's also the DecoTurf Tournament in Louisville with a bunch of good teams from all over as well. Sure there are more.

goran_ace 03-03-2013 09:03 PM

I'm not all that surprised at this. Everywhere I've lived it seems like there is always one or two teams that are loaded with all the best talent while all the other schools are lucky to have one or two players with any sort of college-level prospects. Last year, New Trier HS outside of Chicago took 2nd in state even after its #1 and #2 players quit the team mid-season.

Mitch Bridge 03-04-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7249597)
I'm not all that surprised at this. Everywhere I've lived it seems like there is always one or two teams that are loaded with all the best talent while all the other schools are lucky to have one or two players with any sort of college-level prospects. Last year, New Trier HS outside of Chicago took 2nd in state even after its #1 and #2 players quit the team mid-season.

If the players would play for their local school instead of the loaded school, the dual matches would be a lot more exciting. They would rather win state titles without any close matches instead of playing each other. Fun but not good for their tennis or good for the sport.

Hodgey20 03-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7247049)
This team would have a good chance of beating most Mid-Major D1 teams.

Definitely.. Most of their players are D1 talents anyways

tennisjon 03-05-2013 08:58 AM

Hey, Mardy Fish played 1st singles and Andy Roddick played 3rd singles on their HS team. I would say that's pretty good.

My H.S. team had players who played at Georgetown, Virginia, UNC-Ashville, Rutgers, and Providence. I didn't start, but I was on the team at Delaware. My 3rd singles even beat Justin Gimelstob his sophomore year. As good as we were, we didn't even win the NJ Tournament of Champions.

I was only recuited by a few schools, but when one D1 coach found out I wasn't a starter or had a high ranking, he was really ****ed he wasted his time on me. I said, "Sir, you have no idea how good my high school team is. I bet you that my high school team would beat your college team!" Probably right, but if not, it would have been close.

Overdrive 03-05-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 7252361)
Hey, Mardy Fish played 1st singles and Andy Roddick played 3rd singles on their HS team. I would say that's pretty good.

My H.S. team had players who played at Georgetown, Virginia, UNC-Ashville, Rutgers, and Providence. I didn't start, but I was on the team at Delaware. My 3rd singles even beat Justin Gimelstob his sophomore year. As good as we were, we didn't even win the NJ Tournament of Champions.

I was only recuited by a few schools, but when one D1 coach found out I wasn't a starter or had a high ranking, he was really ****ed he wasted his time on me. I said, "Sir, you have no idea how good my high school team is. I bet you that my high school team would beat your college team!" Probably right, but if not, it would have been close.

Really? What did the D1 Coach say in return?

B1G Tennis 03-05-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Bridge (Post 7250062)
If the players would play for their local school instead of the loaded school, the dual matches would be a lot more exciting. They would rather win state titles without any close matches instead of playing each other. Fun but not good for their tennis or good for the sport.

They do play for the local school. It's just that the local school is a gigantic high school that covers several of the wealthiest suburbs in the Chicago area. There are also country clubs everywhere in their jurisdiction. Them and Hinsdale Central (to the west of Chicago) have dominated Illinois high school tennis dating back to the 1970s.

In 2011, New Trier's lineup featured 4 blue-chips (Robert Stineman, the two Hiltziks, and Thomas Fawcett) and a ton of 3-4 star recruits. Hinsdale Central has also been loaded with top recruits (for example, three top 100 recruits for 2015 go there).

Considering that two public high schools from jurisdictions with about 80,000 residents combined manage to consistently produce Division 1 starters, it makes you really question how few people people nationwide play upper-level tennis. If tennis were cheaper and people could play at the rate that they do in those cities, the US would dominate the world tennis scene, even in 2013.

barringer97 03-05-2013 07:19 PM

That's my high school! Uni High still kicking ***.

My team, 20 years ago, had players that went on to play at Santa Barbara, Arizona, UC Santa Cruz, Mississippi St., Rice, Cal, UC Irvine (just to name a few).

We sucked at football and basketball, but we could kick some *** on the courts.

socaltennnis 03-05-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch Bridge (Post 7250062)

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1G Tennis (Post 7253493)
They do play for the local school. It's just that the local school is a gigantic high school that covers several of the wealthiest suburbs in the Chicago area.

I believe the first quoted post is in reference specifically to Southern California where certain foreign players have used academy addresses, out of city players have used aunt's addresses, etc. to play for a public high school either for academic or tennis reasons.

Chemist 03-06-2013 01:41 PM

That would be possible, particularly, if a few top players, who home-school, but choose to play on the same team. These boys probably won't need extra practice in a clinics during the high school season.

tennisjon 03-07-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7253281)
Really? What did the D1 Coach say in return?

Don't remember really. He was just ****ed that he wasted 2 hours on someone who he didn't think was good enough. I wound up in the same conference, but unfortunately, habitually injured.

Rafa4Ever 03-07-2013 07:23 PM

We played them last week. Yes they could definitely challenge college teams

MarinaHighTennis 03-10-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa4Ever (Post 7257840)
We played them last week. Yes they could definitely challenge college teams

what school do you play for? You're in OC?

2ndServe 03-12-2013 09:25 PM

Now I want to know what team had Roddick as 3rd singles. I think Sampras played a little HS tennis and Palos Verdes is always good. Taylor Dent played his freshman year and I think won the CIF which is crazy for a 14 yo serve n volleyer.