Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal is back = worst possible news for Murray fans? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456455)

always_crosscourt 03-03-2013 07:37 AM

Nadal is back = worst possible news for Murray fans?

Murray was only allowed to win a slam and make slam finals because of Nadal's absence from the tour. It is no news that for some reason Murray's game matches up very well to Djokovic's game.

However, now that Nadal is back, it is unlikely that Murray will even get to play Djokovic.

Once Nadal is back to world no. 4, we will have Djokovic//Federer semi's, and Nadal/Murray semi's once again. Technically it is theoretically possible to have Djokovic/Murray and Federer/Nadal semi's, as seedings are *supposedly* random, but we know it will never happen.

If we cast back out minds to 2011, Nadal shut the door on Murray in the semi's of 3 of 4 slams. And at the AO, didn't face Murray, but likely would have beat him there too.

Do you envisage a similar thing happening in 2013? Nadal to stop Murray at the semi's of all slams, except the FO, where he'll probably stop him in the quarters...?

ktid 03-03-2013 07:55 AM

In a strange way Murray might want to stay number 3 to avoid Nadal in the hope Djokovic takes him in a semi but we have to see how Nadal plays on other courts, on clay Nadal will always win but Murray could get wins on grass and HC we never know, I'm not overly worried cause Murray has proven he is a better players compared to last year

DropShotArtist 03-03-2013 07:57 AM

Murray will never lose to Nadal again in a slam off clay.

Hitman 03-03-2013 07:58 AM

Murray has drastically improved, and I think he will want to play Nadal to see how he matches up against him, having beating Novak and Roger in the last two slams. It was the first time he both of those two players in a slam also. I am really looking forward to this match up.

thecrusher956 03-03-2013 08:00 AM

I think Nadal will come up against a different Murray. We will have to see what the result of that will be.

TTMR 03-03-2013 08:03 AM

Correct. Grand slam tournaments will revert to their regular pattern: exhilarating late semi-final match between Federer and Djokovic where an aging Federer overcomes all odds or Djokovic gets lucky, and the customary early walkover for Parera--pigeon Ferrer at the French and pigeon Murray at all other events, leaving Parera well-rested and consequently asteriked regardless of which opponent in the final he faces.

sureshs 03-03-2013 08:07 AM

Murray and Federer can win only when Nadal is not around. Djokovic is the only true contender against Nadal.

always_crosscourt 03-03-2013 08:12 AM

A huge portion of Nadal's slam count is due to tournament directors insisting on 'randomly' ALWAYS putting Federer with Djokovic and Nadal with Murray. Murray will bend for Nadal, leaving Nadal well rested.

Then Nadal will feed off the scraps of a tired Fedjokovic classic, which will have gone on for hours, and he'll usually (historically) get Federer to feast on.

Could you imagine how different Nadal's slam count would have been if he had Djokovic in every semi? If Djokovic would not have beaten Nadal outright, then he would have at least ground him right down and winning the finals would have been so much tougher.

kalyan4fedever 03-03-2013 08:17 AM

The only guy who has not won a single tournament after NADAL's departure is Roger, i dont know why but it happened and only ones gained were djoker and murraa , so RF has nothing to lose while the other two...

Hitman 03-03-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7248271)
The only guy who has not won a single tournament after NADAL's departure is Roger, i dont know why but it happened and only ones gained were djoker and murraa , so RF has nothing to lose while the other two...

I wouldn't add Djokovic to that list, since he did not get a medal at the Olympics, lost the US Open. Shanghai is not some place where Nadal exactly shines brightly, Murray does, and Djokovic beat him there. As for the WTF, Djokovic has won the event before, and beaten Nadal there also, and Federer is the biggest obstacle there, and he beat him last year.

As for the AO, well Djokovic beat Nadal last year, and is a better AO player in general. So, he didn't really gain with Nadal's absence. You could have said that if he swept the upcoming clay without Nadal around.

TMF 03-03-2013 08:33 AM

I don't see Nadal having the best of Murray except on clay. Murray has proven that he's better than Nadal on hc and grass.

kishnabe 03-03-2013 08:35 AM

Djokovic has to trouble beating Nadal. Federer is good at avoiding the Nadal.

Murray the one who has most benefited from Nadal absence. No Olympic or US Open win with a Healthy Rafa in his half. No Wimbledon final either.

kishnabe 03-03-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7248305)
I don't see Nadal having the best of Murray except on clay. Murray has proven that he's better than Nadal on hc and grass.

Nadal owns Murray on grass based on h2h. HC....Murray is better but he is mentally weak so it doesn't always factor out his way.

Nadal makes many aggressive changes that put him above Murray on grass even though Murray a natural on grass.

Fiji 03-03-2013 08:37 AM

Outside of clay, Murray will win this matchup because the Brit has more room for improvement than Nadal whose career is winding down.

ultradr 03-03-2013 08:39 AM

Of course, it's Federer.

MichaelNadal 03-03-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Uh, what? Lol. Because of more HC masters?

TMF 03-03-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelNadal (Post 7248335)
Uh, what? Lol. Because of more HC masters?

He's playing extremely well at the USO and AO. How could one can say Nadal is the favorite if he meet Murray in IW? I don't care who win, but if I have to pick, it's Murray this time.

TMF 03-03-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7248317)
Nadal owns Murray on grass based on h2h. HC....Murray is better but he is mentally weak so it doesn't always factor out his way.

Nadal makes many aggressive changes that put him above Murray on grass even though Murray a natural on grass.

I'm talking about their curtain condition. The OP is insinuating Nadal will have the better of Murray. I don't think so except on clay. Murray Wimbledon finalist and Olympic gold has something to say about that.

raging 03-03-2013 08:56 AM

Murray will be delighted to have a go at Rafa again!

It's great that he is back & fantastic that the top 4(apologies to Daveed) is back together again.

If Muzza wants to be the best, he has to beat the best.

NadalAgassi 03-03-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Yes Murray with 0 Wimbledon finals to date has already proven he is a better grass courter than Nadal with 5 Wimbledon finals and 2 Wimbledon titles. The Master of Fool up to his usual nonsense I see. Nadal has even won more major events on hard courts than Murray.

You are best to make no predictions for the future regarding Nadal though less you want to continue making a further fool of yourself as my sig shows.