Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   does anybody see murray at no .1? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456471)

mike danny 03-03-2013 12:16 PM

does anybody see murray at no .1?
 
personally i do not. even if he passes fed(which he should given the age difference) there are still nole and rafa in his way. and to be no.1 at this point he has to be consistent week in and week out and also beat rafa and nole consistently. he has not played rafa since 2011 so i just have to wait for the match-up but he has lost the last 3 matches with djokovic. so beating them consistently is out of the question. and i do not see him making every final in events like fed and nole used to do. personally i think the best he can acheive is the no.2 ranking but IMO no.1 will never happen for him

90's Clay 03-03-2013 12:18 PM

I could see him at #1 maybe for a short run.. But definitely nothing long term

Sid_Vicious 03-03-2013 12:28 PM

I think Murray has a mental block against Djokovic. I think the rivalry could get more one-sided over the next few years. He has lost a lot of close matches against Djokovic and in many of them he threw away sizeable leads (He almost did that at the USO last year too).

So, I only see Murray getting to number 1 if he starts beating Djokovic more often.

sportsfan1 03-03-2013 12:34 PM

^^ exactly what he said. Not until Murray shows that he can beat Djoker consistently.

Goosehead 03-03-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike danny (Post 7248636)
personally i do not. even if he passes fed(which he should given the age difference) there are still nole and rafa in his way. and to be no.1 at this point he has to be consistent week in and week out and also beat rafa and nole consistently. he has not played rafa since 2011 so i just have to wait for the match-up but he has lost the last 3 matches with djokovic. so beating them consistently is out of the question. and i do not see him making every final in events like fed and nole used to do. personally i think the best he can acheive is the no.2 ranking but IMO no.1 will never happen for him

lol wut ?....dont think rafa is in the way when rafa is behind him in the rankings at no 5.

Clarky21 03-03-2013 01:10 PM

As long as **** is still breathing, Andy is not getting to #1.

The Bawss 03-03-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7248736)
As long as **** is still breathing, Andy is not getting to #1.

Novak and Nadal.

TTMR 03-03-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7248736)
As long as **** is still breathing, Andy is not getting to #1.

Actually due to his superlative dominance, **** will be given an honourary permanent ranking of Perpetual #1 upon his retirement. The highest possible ranking an ATP professional will be able to achieve after that point is #2, in recognition of ****'s extraordinary and unmatchable achievements.

kishnabe 03-03-2013 01:37 PM

Nope.....he the weakest of the 4 big guys.

Terenigma 03-03-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7248791)
Nope.....he the weakest of the 4 big guys.

Not right now he isnt, Id argue he's the 2nd best player in tennis right now and his game is certainly not the weakest of the 4 either. The only thing the others have over Murray is mental focus.

If Murray had Djokovic's rediculous resilience when he's down in a match then i think he would have a real shot of being #1. Maybe even finish this year as #1 if he could win wimbledon (do'able) and retain his US open.

ktid 03-03-2013 01:50 PM

Not this year, Djokovic is far too dominant, but maybe eventually, 2015 I think he will

mike danny 03-03-2013 03:13 PM

i think when djokovic starts to slip murray will become no.1. he barely beat him at the us open with the wind so with the conditions not favouring djokovic. djokovic is for murray what nadal used to(and still is) be for federer: he simply does not go away therefore he cannot beat him. proof enough are the matches at shanghai and london. also he does not have his stamina. last year nole played 2 consecutive tough 5 setters against both andy and rafa and clinched the AO title. this year andy barely played a JUST a tough 5 setter after a very easy draw and still did not have enough left in the tank to win the final. i mean everything worked perfectly for him: an easy draw, federer not at his best and of course his amazing form which helped him beat the swiss and reach the final. if he cannot sustain that form for the most important 2 matches than no.1 is totally out of the equation for him

Cup8489 03-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7248736)
As long as **** is still breathing, Andy is not getting to #1.

His name is Novak Djokovic.

Please stop with the inane nicknames.

sureshs 03-03-2013 04:10 PM

When he is using the urinal, yes

mariecon 03-03-2013 04:14 PM

I'm really confused as to why Murray took so much time off between the AO and IW. Wouldn't a little match play be helpful? He's going to be rusty heading into the US HC swing. He won't make it to #1 by skipping tournaments and forfeiting points that he should be defending. He just lost his 300 Dubai points from last year and he's going to lose 750 Olympics points in August. He's going to have to win Wimbledon to make up any points there. I don't see him doing anything major on clay. It's not his forte. I can't see him getting to #1 in the foreseeable future because Djoker's just too strong right now.

ktid 03-03-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7249079)
I'm really confused as to why Murray took so much time off between the AO and IW. Wouldn't a little match play be helpful? He's going to be rusty heading into the US HC swing. He won't make it to #1 by skipping tournaments and forfeiting points that he should be defending. He just lost his 300 Dubai points from last year and he's going to lose 750 Olympics points in August. He's going to have to win Wimbledon to make up any points there. I don't see him doing anything major on clay. It's not his forte. I can't see him getting to #1 in the foreseeable future because Djoker's just too strong right now.

He's really not playing a lot this year Queen and Tokyo are the only tournaments he's playing outside the slams, 1000's and WTF

Mainad 03-03-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7249079)
I'm really confused as to why Murray took so much time off between the AO and IW. Wouldn't a little match play be helpful? He's going to be rusty heading into the US HC swing. He won't make it to #1 by skipping tournaments and forfeiting points that he should be defending.

Officially, he gave the reason that he wants to be as fit as possible for the 2 back-to-back HC Masters where's he had such patchy results in the last 3 years. He's determined to be a bit more consistent in them than he has shown during that time. However, I too am a bit surprised he didn't defend his finalist points in Dubai. As you say, he's going to be a bit match-rusty going into IW. IMO the foot injury he picked up at the AO final was probably a bit more serious then he let on. Either that or there have been other fitness concerns. Either way, I think the real reason is that he has needed all this time off to get his physical fitness back to as near-peak condition as possible. No doubt, we'll soon see if it has worked.

Paullaconte1 03-03-2013 04:48 PM

Can't see it, at least any soon

fps 03-03-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7249112)
Officially, he gave the reason that he wants to be as fit as possible for the 2 back-to-back HC Masters where's he had such patchy results in the last 3 years. He's determined to be a bit more consistent in them than he has shown during that time. However, I too am a bit surprised he didn't defend his finalist points in Dubai. As you say, he's going to be a bit match-rusty going into IW. IMO the foot injury he picked up at the AO final was probably a bit more serious then he let on. Either that or there have been other fitness concerns. Either way, I think the real reason is that he has needed all this time off to get his physical fitness back to as near-peak condition as possible. No doubt, we'll soon see if it has worked.

If his foot injury is more serious than stated, kudos to him for not coming out and saying it. That's what champions do, no excuses.

NEW_BORN 03-03-2013 04:56 PM

Murray needs to be within 2000 points of Djokovic by Wimbledon, otherwise he has way too many points to defend post Wimbledon to make a run for No.1 this year


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse