Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bad Batch Of Wilson Pro Overgrip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456494)

hyperion99 03-03-2013 04:08 PM

Bad Batch Of Wilson Pro Overgrips

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
I've been using Wilson Pro Overgrip for a while and never had this happened before.
I typically buy the 12 pack but (and never had any issues) this time I bought the 30 pack and found a lot of issues with the grip.
I used 5 of the 30 grips so far and from what I feel the grips feel dry,no cushioning,and it just feels plain cheap to me.
Is this because I bought the grips in more of a bulkier version?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Andyroo10567 03-03-2013 05:06 PM

They were all the same to me. I've tried 30, 12, and 3 and they all felt the same.

parasailing 03-13-2013 03:23 PM

Are you sure it isn't because they changed to a cheaper material? I noticed about a year ago that the new ones are not as good as the old ones. They don't last as long and they wrinkle more than the old ones when you put them on which to me means they use less material or different amount of it and it's for the worse.

I am now testing out other grips to see if I can find a better product. I hate it when manufacturers try to sneak the changes in and hope customers don't noticed.

hyperion99 03-13-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7271296)
Are you sure it isn't because they changed to a cheaper material? I noticed about a year ago that the new ones are not as good as the old ones. They don't last as long and they wrinkle more than the old ones when you put them on which to me means they use less material or different amount of it and it's for the worse.

I am now testing out other grips to see if I can find a better product. I hate it when manufacturers try to sneak the changes in and hope customers don't noticed.

Yes, I have noticed that the Wilson Pro Overgrips have gone down in quality somewhat but I noticed a reel difference with the 30 pack in terms of quality(wrinkles more,less comfortable,and they don't last as long).

BTW what overgrips have you tried so far?
Have you seen any better results from the other grips you have tried(hopefully better price too)?

Thanks

struggle 03-14-2013 01:51 AM

i'm not all that picky about it, but i keep buying the 30 packs of supergrap with no issues. white

tennis007 03-15-2013 10:48 AM

I'm currently using Wilson Pro overgrip as well as the Yonex Super Grap. I feel that Yonex overgrip is better in quality. I also noticed same issue with quality of Wilson overgrip and will likely not purchase them again.

BMWprestigem3 03-15-2013 06:49 PM

All the Wilson Pro overgrips that I have used have been fine. I usually buy the 30 pack and they all felt the same.

parasailing 03-20-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7271568)
Yes, I have noticed that the Wilson Pro Overgrips have gone down in quality somewhat but I noticed a reel difference with the 30 pack in terms of quality(wrinkles more,less comfortable,and they don't last as long).

BTW what overgrips have you tried so far?
Have you seen any better results from the other grips you have tried(hopefully better price too)?

Thanks

I think the quality went down with the latest ones that have new picture of Roger Federer on it, see the 30 pack pic on TW. If you can find the older one of his picture which is the 12 pack pic on TW, it might be still be the original one. I tried the 30 and 50 pack with the his new picture on it and both are lower in quality. I haven't tried the single

Here are the ones I have tried so far:

Babolat VS - totally different type of grip more dry than tacky and pretty bad if you looking for tacky.

Mantis Performa Tac Grip - Pretty close to Wilson in terms of tackiness but the downside is it's a tad too thick. It does last longer and the quality is definitely there.

Kirschbaum Touch It and Touch It Thin grips - better quality better than Wilson but nothing so far matches the initial tackiness of the Pro Grip. Durability is slightly better than Wilson.

Volkl V-tac - Not as tacky as Wilson and felt a tad too thick.

Yonex Super Grap - Not as tacky as Wilson but definitely quality is there though I heard the newer ones also have issues.

I hate it when manufacturers try to sneak a price increase by lowering the quality of the products and hope we don't realize it. Keep the quality the same or improve it and just raise the price instead of giving us an inferior product and raising the price or keeping it the same.

VaporDude95 03-24-2013 12:11 AM

i've had no problems. I usually buy the 12 pack.

RogueFLIP 03-25-2013 12:50 PM

I also have noticed a decrease in the quality of the Wilson over grip. Not enough at first to make me switch (plus I buy the 50 pack so I was stuck for a bit lol)...

But now I use the Volkl v-tac. The good part for me is the more I play with it the tackier it seems to get, but its not as durable as the Wilson. I can see little spots where I've worn out the grip a bit. Still playable but just annoying to my OCD self.

Whereas the Wilson seemed to lose its tackiness rather quickly.

waginen 04-16-2013 12:26 PM

Go pink!

Same here....I have also noticed decrease in quality.
I was trying to find some better grip but none of them made me switch(and I have tried them all). Just Supergrap comes close. It is hard to switch when you use the same grip for last 10 years. Recently, just for run, I have bought 3-pack of pink Wilson Pro Overgrips. And to my big surprise...they are the good old quality! Not like the new white ones I have.