Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Toughest matchups for Federer, in order (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456497)

Federer20042006 03-03-2013 04:53 PM

Toughest matchups for Federer, in order

1. Nadal. No explanation necessary.

2. Berdych. Emphasis on this being in the present. I'm sure this will be hotly contested, but I contend that Federer has a better chance of beating Djokovic/Murray at this point than he does Berdych.

3. Murray. Murray has a level that, if he plays to it, Federer can't match at this point.

4. Djokovic. Federer/Djokovic matches, even now, basically come down to a coin flip. If Federer comes out on fire, he can beat Djokovic anywhere but possibly at the AO. If Federer is lackluster, Djokovic will take him out.

5. Del Potro. I give him the edge over Tsonga as he's been tougher, more consistently. His backhand isn't something Federer can attack in the clutch moments, unlike with Tsonga.

6. Tsonga. Federer generally finds a way to handle him, but the serve and forehand power are still really dangerous to Federer.

7. Simon. They've only played 3 times, but this is not a guy Federer likes playing.

8. Benneteau. It's no longer just a fluke thing. He's beaten Federer twice and scared the crap out of him at Wimbledon.

The-Champ 03-03-2013 04:58 PM

Federer has major advantage (with his incredible talent and his plan a, b, c etc multidimensional game) everytime he faces the one-dimensional and no-talent Nadal.

So Nadal should be last on the list of opponents to fear for the talented Federer.

timnz 03-03-2013 04:58 PM

All except point 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federer20042006 (Post 7249237)
1. Nadal. No explanation necessary.

2. Berdych. Emphasis on this being in the present. I'm sure this will be hotly contested, but I contend that Federer has a better chance of beating Djokovic/Murray at this point than he does Berdych.

3. Murray. Murray has a level that, if he plays to it, Federer can't match at this point.

4. Djokovic. Federer/Djokovic matches, even now, basically come down to a coin flip. If Federer comes out on fire, he can beat Djokovic anywhere but possibly at the AO. If Federer is lackluster, Djokovic will take him out.

5. Del Potro. I give him the edge over Tsonga as he's been tougher, more consistently. His backhand isn't something Federer can attack in the clutch moments, unlike with Tsonga.

6. Tsonga. Federer generally finds a way to handle him, but the serve and forehand power are still really dangerous to Federer.

7. Simon. They've only played 3 times, but this is not a guy Federer likes playing.

8. Benneteau. It's no longer just a fluke thing. He's beaten Federer twice and scared the crap out of him at Wimbledon.

Agree with this list except point 3

Murray only beat Federer over 5 sets at the AO. Federer at 31 recovery time isn't as good as it used to be. Having played 5 sets the previous round...he was a bit jaded. Haven't seen any evidence about this Murray level you refer to. Olympics was a bit of the same thing....though Federer genuinely was having an off day that day (not to take away anything from Andy's great play that day). Concerning point 1 I think it is a shame that the range of surfaces/conditions they played on wasn't more evenly spread especially during Federer's prime (many more indoor clashes would have evened out the clay). I think we would have a completely different result then. I do agree though that Nadal is a very tough brick for Federer to knock over.

timnz 03-03-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Champ (Post 7249241)
Federer has major advantage (with his incredible talent and his plan a, b, c etc multidimensional game) everytime he faces the one-dimensional and no-talent Nadal.

So Nadal should be last on the list of opponents to fear for the talented Federer.

Not on Clay or Slow Outdoor Hard ie most of the matches they have played.

Murrayfan31 03-03-2013 05:10 PM

1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Berdych

TTMR 03-03-2013 05:14 PM

Alejandro Falla.

cc0509 03-03-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrayfan31 (Post 7249254)
1. Djokovic
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Berdych

LOL at you saying Djokovic and Murray are tougher match-ups for Federer than Nadal is. Nadal is Federer's toughest match-up by far, the other three are way below Nadal for sure.

jaggy 03-03-2013 05:24 PM

No Rosol? Oh yea thats the other guys problem

forzamilan90 03-03-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7249277)
No Rosol? Oh yea thats the other guys problem

Rob31 03-03-2013 05:27 PM

David Ferrer.

Mighty Matteo 03-03-2013 05:39 PM

Nadal
Djokovic
Murray
Berdych
Del Potro
Tsonga

My reasoning for djokovic ahead of murray on the list is that as of late, federer has been doing much better against murray than djokovic. The only exception was the australian open when he was probably tired. He was definitely tired at the olympics. not to make excuses since Murray definitely played fantastically both matches, but federer has had more trouble with djokovic as of late.

corners 03-03-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7249242)
Agree with this list except point 3

Murray only beat Federer over 5 sets at the AO. Federer at 31 recovery time isn't as good as it used to be. Having played 5 sets the previous round...he was a bit jaded. Haven't seen any evidence about this Murray level you refer to. Olympics was a bit of the same thing....though Federer genuinely was having an off day that day (not to take away anything from Andy's great play that day). Concerning point 1 I think it is a shame that the range of surfaces/conditions they played on wasn't more evenly spread especially during Federer's prime (many more indoor clashes would have evened out the clay). I think we would have a completely different result then. I do agree though that Nadal is a very tough brick for Federer to knock over.

I've seen the level that the OP is referring to - 1st half of 1st set at WTF last year and in parts of the AO semi. Comes out firing and bossing Fed; makes Federer look like twilight Agassi when he played prime Fed. But I think this is somewhat a surprise tactic and requires a level of agression and risk that Murray is not really comfortable with, thus his failure to keep it up for more than a set. That said, he's clearly more dangerous to Fed now than he ever has been, and he's always given Fed trouble. That he finally beat him in a slam, albeit while in a better-rested condition than Fed, could spell trouble down the road. But if Federer plays his best I don't think Murray has a level that can match that, even today. But he does have a level to stick with him, and over five sets that may be enough.

I do agree with the placing, though - Murray is a worse matchup than Djokovic for Federer, but Djokovic is the better player, so I'd put my money on Djoker over Fed before I'd put anything on Murray over Fed.

Hawkeye7 03-03-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mighty Matteo (Post 7249304)
Nadal
Djokovic
Murray
Berdych
Del Potro
Tsonga

My reasoning for djokovic ahead of murray on the list is that as of late, federer has been doing much better against murray than djokovic. The only exception was the australian open when he was probably tired. He was definitely tired at the olympics. not to make excuses since Murray definitely played fantastically both matches, but federer has had more trouble with djokovic as of late.

True, he's 2-1 against him in their last three matches (including a bagel), while he's 1-2 against Murray. That clearly indicates he's had more trouble against Djokovic lately.

Murrayfan31 03-03-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7249265)
LOL at you saying Djokovic and Murray are tougher match-ups for Federer than Nadal is. Nadal is Federer's toughest match-up by far, the other three are way below Nadal for sure.

Djokovic owns Federer in the hardcourt slams. I doubt Nadal could do the same based on WTF.

okdude1992 03-03-2013 06:03 PM

Nice thread. I'm not sure if I agree about number 3. Murray gives Federer trouble because of his defensive skills and fitness, its not like his level is actually better.

I'd also like to nominate Igor Andreev, (who played Federer like a righty Nadal)

WhiskeyEE 03-03-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrayfan31 (Post 7249329)
Djokovic owns Federer in the hardcourt slams. I doubt Nadal could do the same based on WTF.

He's 3-4 and had match points on 2 of those losses, including their last HC slam match. Kind've a dumb thing to say.

Murrayfan31 03-03-2013 06:04 PM

Nadal never beat Federer at the US Open. That's a fact. And he's lost twice to Federer on grass. WTF is an embarrassment for Nadal. Djokovic beat Federer there to. My points are legit.

WhiskeyEE 03-03-2013 06:09 PM

Joker is a tougher matchup than Nadal everywhere but clay nowadays, but he doesn't own Roger at HC slams.

Murrayfan31 03-03-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 7249342)
Joker is a tougher matchup than Nadal everywhere but clay nowadays, but he doesn't own Roger at HC slams.

No one does. But I like Djokovic's chances on a fast surface better than Murray's or Nadal's.

Beryl 03-03-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7249318)
True, he's 2-1 against him in their last three matches (including a bagel), while he's 1-2 against Murray. That clearly indicates he's had more trouble against Djokovic lately.

Small sample size. Isn't Djokovic 6-3 against Federer since the start of 2011?