Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Double bend or straight arm forehand? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456501)

Relinquis 03-03-2013 06:17 PM

Double bend or straight arm forehand?

How do you hit?

Do you hit a double bend (i.e. elbow bent) or straight arm forehand (when swinging forward)? Have you been taught this, or did it just happen this way?

Coaches, do you teach a particular style?

Examples*:

Bent Elbow:
Murray...

Straight Arm:
Verdasco...

* Let me know if these photos are too big.

KayFactor 03-03-2013 06:19 PM

The double bend is more popular because the straight-arm forehand requires more effort on footwork.

Fuji 03-03-2013 06:21 PM

Definitely bent elbow. If I hit straight arm, it puts a little bit too much torque on my outer elbow which is uncomfortable and my contact point feels too far away. I'm sure I could adjust if I had to, but I much prefer the way that the DB feels. :)

No coach I've worked with has specifically said "oh your elbow is/isn't bent, change that." I think it's just a natural thing.

-Fuji

Relinquis 03-03-2013 06:46 PM

Interesting responses so far...
I hit straight arm, always have...
Feels better when i hit through the ball, like i can really let loose...

I've tried the double bend when messing around to see what it feels like. Didn't feel natural to me, obviously, but can see how a lot of people play that way.

TennisA 03-03-2013 06:58 PM

Bent elbow forehand. I feel like I can control it a lot more than a straight arm, although on occasion I use it. I had my first private lesson after around 5 or so years of playing, so I'd say it developed pretty naturally, or unnaturally depending on how you see it.

Cheetah 03-03-2013 07:00 PM

Both

TheCheese 03-03-2013 08:00 PM

Both, depends how good my footwork is. Straight if I'm set up well.

Greg G 03-03-2013 08:32 PM

In my mind I hit it straight arm. On video, it's mostly slightly bent :)

TheLambsheadrep 03-04-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7249271)
No coach I've worked with has specifically said "oh your elbow is/isn't bent, change that." I think it's just a natural thing.

-Fuji

+1

After recording my strokes I realized that I was hitting straight arm forehands, I never knew or felt a difference before seeing it on camera. But as like many people say about Fed and Nadal, they don't always hit straight arm. The normally straight arm to bent arm forehand happens mainly when you're out of position or when swing timing is bad. My first correlation of this was seeing the distance to contact. Watching myself hit, I would say 8 or 9 out of 10 of my forehands were hit with a straight arm (at least 90% straight), and the ones that were bent arm forehands were because I was too close to the ball (and had to naturally bend my arm to make contact closer to my body). They were caused by being out of position and/or bad swing timing, so it's all one big circle of cause and effect, mainly determined by how far you naturally make contact from your body.

widmerpool 03-04-2013 11:44 AM

Mine is bent. My 8 y/o son is straighter which is a good thing. Clearly the best FHs hit with a straight arm.

DakotaM 03-04-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widmerpool (Post 7250452)
Mine is bent. My 8 y/o son is straighter which is a good thing. Clearly the best FHs hit with a straight arm.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the best use only straight. I think it's a preference thing.

I use a double bend because I feel like I have more control.

Byakuya 10-03-2014 08:21 PM

straight arm obviously would yield a more powerful shot than a double bend. It's just physics. That said, people can't be in perfect position for a straight forehand all the time :-?

Easy Rider 10-03-2014 11:06 PM

Ive played with bent elbow ... Switched to straight when got info on how to teach it ... First, I tried, to see whats that all about ... From that point on = straight arm ALWAYS !!!

Unfortunately, you cant implement that FH on every player

enishi1357 10-03-2014 11:27 PM

surprise to see so many can hit straight; I thought I was the few.

magnut 10-03-2014 11:33 PM

Both....depends what i am trying to do with the ball.

ReggieHurley 10-03-2014 11:42 PM

in my head it is straight, but on video it is bent.

cjs 10-04-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enishi1357 (Post 8775610)
surprise to see so many can hit straight; I thought I was the few.

I rarely see straight arm at my local club, and the club has some very good players.

People posting on TW Tips are probably more concerned with technique than the average Joe. Hence the poll results.

aimr75 10-04-2014 02:04 AM

i hit straight arm.. have done so before really thinking at all about technique (i.e. before joining this forum), so not a conscious thing. I didnt even know what the difference was until i joined this forum :)

SystemicAnomaly 10-04-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7249271)
... No coach I've worked with has specifically said "oh your elbow is/isn't bent, change that." I think it's just a natural thing...

If a straight-arm technique works well for a student, I will not say anything. However, if it appears that the student has significant control issues (or other problems) with a wandering elbow or a straight-arm approach, I will definitely suggest a double-bend approach. Tennis stroke mechanics are rarely "natural".

Surprised that such a large % of posters claim to employ a straight-arm technique. Other that Federer, Nadal and Verdasco, not that many top pros come to mind who use a straight arm for most of their FHs. The double-bend, still appears to be the de facto standard for the pro tour (for both the ATP and the WTA).

LeeD 10-04-2014 09:09 AM

If you wonder and gotta ask, use double bend.
If your forehand is already advanced, use what you want.