Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mental Trick To Cure Floppy Forehand? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456682)

tennismonkey 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

Mental Trick To Cure Floppy Forehand?

on my best day i have a passable topspin forehand. fairly good spin and pace. using eastern forehand grip that i sometimes slide over a bit to strong eastern.

on my worst days, i have a wristy, slap happy, floppy forehand. i know what the issue is but i am having problems mentally correcting it. at contact on my forehand, my wrist kinda snaps forward. this screws up any firm contact with the ball and the racquet and the shot goes all over the place with no directional control or power.

to compensate on my worst days, i will often slice forehands. yeah it's ugly. i am currently playing with a slightly larger than my normal grip size (closer to 4 1/2 than my usual 4 3/8) and that helps a bit. i'm also playing with a wrist brace all the time. and that also helps a bit.

so the question is this: what is the easiest way to train myself to maintain this firm wrist on contact? is there a mental trick or phrase? should i buy a wrist assist or racket bracket? only hit slice forehands for the rest of my life?

MeHere2PlayTennis 03-05-2013 12:24 PM

I believe there are some training tools that you can buy that you can wear practicing that keep your wrist in place.

boramiNYC 03-05-2013 09:06 PM

when the arm is out of the optimal range of function the muscles holding the wrist cannot be as firm. keep the whole arm firm right in the middle of the range. This means the shoulder must be better controlled as well. do the thrower's ten workout for your shoulder and try to keep the arm in the optimal range (don't let your shoulder get all loosey goosey) and try to keep the wrist firm.

aznhippos 03-05-2013 09:30 PM

Keep your balance and always rotate the body; arms will follow

BevelDevil 03-05-2013 10:56 PM

Imagine you're slapping the ball with your hand.

tennismonkey 03-07-2013 06:43 AM

thanks all! i'll try these tips out.

when i'm playing many times a week - i don't have to think about hitting. i just hit.

it's when i haven't hit in a week or two and i get out there and just start floppy wristing forehands.

navorski_o9 03-07-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznhippos (Post 7253800)
Keep your balance and always rotate the body; arms will follow

i totally agree with this suggestion...i too uses a strong forehand grip and has the same issue, usually at the start of the hit when warming up...when rallies get long during the hit, i get really winded when heart rate just starts to increase and i find my self not moving my feet and balance and the next thing i know, i wasnt looking at the ball properly and do the floppy wrist slap...so yeah, best thing i do is move my feet and focus more on the ball...let me know if there are other stuff you find out to fix it, so i can fix mine too!

cork_screw 03-29-2013 10:00 PM

there's no "mental trick" just get a coach and apply fundamentals to your lack of and that will fix it.

corners 03-30-2013 07:17 AM

Imagine the ball is made of concrete.