Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Poll: When do you declare a shoe is done? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456815)

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-06-2013 04:31 PM

Poll: When do you declare a shoe is done?
 
Hey y'all, I'm curious to see when you retire a pair of shoes.

I've been cycling through 6 pairs of Nike Vapor 8's for the last year, and none of them have any tread left on the big toes area (I slide on hard courts).

I have some Vapor 9's that I will start cycling once the V8's are done. So I'm debating whether or not to retire the V8's.

On one hand, I am concerned about the lack of tread in the most abused area and my safety. On the other hand, tennis shoes ain't cheap and they're still wearable technically.

Or, you can think of it as: "How cheap are you? :twisted: "

Thanks, and have fun!

dr. godmode 03-07-2013 05:19 PM

I would say if you start slipping when you should or when you can see foam switch em out

PhotoBlue 03-07-2013 05:36 PM

When there's a good amount of midsole foam showing or I slip from lack of traction.

parasailing 03-07-2013 05:40 PM

Once it goes into the foam area, it's time to use them for other purposes such as gardening or housework. I wouldn't risk injury wearing shoes with limited traction on hard courts given how expensive medical expensive and loss time from playing tennis.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-07-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7257635)
Once it goes into the foam area, it's time to use them for other purposes such as gardening or housework. I wouldn't risk injury wearing shoes with limited traction on hard courts given how expensive medical expensive and loss time from playing tennis.

I do that too, I had a pair of V8's that was in bad shape, so I used it for serving practice. (If i slip and twist my own ankles on a serve, I should just give up tennis altogether)

Now I have 6 more pairs of V8's for serving practice... -.-

Or I can donate them! :)

Andyroo10567 03-07-2013 10:54 PM

When my toe starts to bleed from shredding on the court, I think it may be time for me to switch. :)
Just to the point where i can see my insole.

Bobby Jr 03-08-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7255378)
...I've been cycling through 6 pairs of Nike Vapor 8's for the last year, and none of them have any tread left on the big toes area (I slide on hard courts

So your issue is the shoes now have too much grip now to slide?

NickJ 03-08-2013 05:08 AM

A shoe is done when i see something else i like!!
I am nothing but a magpie, searching for shiny things to adorn me . . . . Gel Noosas on order.

I still wear all my old shoes, I just dont wait for one pair to fall apart until I buy some new ones. The wife hates it!

dr325i 03-08-2013 05:23 AM

I go through a pair of Barricades every 3-5 months dpending on my travel schedule.
Unfortunately, I totally destroy the sole on the right foot only, toe area (dragging on serves and FHs), the rest of the shoe usually looks 8/10...

smarog 03-08-2013 06:00 AM

I switch mine out when I where through the tread on the bottom and I see the other "stuff" underneath the rubber tread. I wear different shoes for clay and hard courts, so my "worn" hard court shoes look perfect except for the wear on the bottom. From there - this year's hard court shoes turn into next year's casual sneakers - this year's casual sneakers turn into next year's lawn mowing shoes. The cycle repeats every year!

PhotoBlue 03-08-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7258315)
I go through a pair of Barricades every 3-5 months dpending on my travel schedule.
Unfortunately, I totally destroy the sole on the right foot only, toe area (dragging on serves and FHs), the rest of the shoe usually looks 8/10...

Yeah, I'm gonna send in my Barricade 7's this weekend and the left toe is destroyed while the right toe is just starting to lose tread. It's strange :confused:

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-08-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7258268)
So your issue is the shoes now have too much grip now to slide?

Man, you don't read or are you just having a bad day and you'd like to pick a fight with me, again? I said I think my shoes are done (or getting close to being done) because I slide quite a lot, and the area nearby my toes don't have anymore tread left.

But yeah, sure, my "issue" is that new shoes have too much grip for me to slide. I sand them down just so I can slide. Whatever makes you happy, believe it.

Anyway, do you have anything positive to contribute to the discussion? If not, go pick a fight somewhere else.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-08-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoBlue (Post 7258554)
Yeah, I'm gonna send in my Barricade 7's this weekend and the left toe is destroyed while the right toe is just starting to lose tread. It's strange :confused:

I'm the opposite, right toe goes way sooner than my left toe.

ollinger 03-08-2013 10:53 AM

Since you can get excellent tennis shoes from TW for $50 if it's a discontinued model (I use Prince, the T9 Roadsters, which they seem to keep restocking), maybe the more intelligent thing to do is stop trying to squeeze maximum wear out of the $130 shoes you buy, get a cheaper model that you'll feel more comfortable about discarding when it's still got some tread on it, and then relax a bit about it. Or do you actually believe there are year-to-year advances in shoes rather than silly marketing hype?

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-08-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7258959)
Since you can get excellent tennis shoes from TW for $50 if it's a discontinued model (I use Prince, the T9 Roadsters, which they seem to keep restocking), maybe the more intelligent thing to do is stop trying to squeeze maximum wear out of the $130 shoes you buy, get a cheaper model that you'll feel more comfortable about discarding when it's still got some tread on it, and then relax a bit about it. Or do you actually believe there are year-to-year advances in shoes rather than silly marketing hype?

That's why I buy off season shoes. The V9's I have are from last year.

jatnut 03-08-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7258959)
Since you can get excellent tennis shoes from TW for $50 if it's a discontinued model (I use Prince, the T9 Roadsters, which they seem to keep restocking), maybe the more intelligent thing to do is stop trying to squeeze maximum wear out of the $130 shoes you buy, get a cheaper model that you'll feel more comfortable about discarding when it's still got some tread on it, and then relax a bit about it. Or do you actually believe there are year-to-year advances in shoes rather than silly marketing hype?

I wish it was that simple. I bought those same T9 and had to turf them as my well beat up and worn out Asics felt waaaaay better on my knees than the T9s.

NJ1 03-08-2013 11:38 AM

When I reach the foam, which usually occurs within c.30(CB 3.3) to c.50 hours (B7) (4 months or so as I don't play much) of 6 mo warranty shoes as I'm hard on the area under toes. Normally the front of the left shoe in particular (I'm a righty). Vapors would last me about 5 matches, and I find even the 6mo warranty shoes wears a hole long before the cushioning or grip becomes dangerous. Bought from TW on sale, this represents not only the best value for me, but also allows the use of top level shoes so it's a win-win.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-08-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ1 (Post 7259051)
When I reach the foam, which usually occurs within c.30(CB 3.3) to c.50 hours (B7) (4 months or so as I don't play much) of 6 mo warranty shoes as I'm hard on the area under toes. Normally the front of the left shoe in particular (I'm a righty). Vapors would last me about 5 matches, and I find even the 6mo warranty shoes wears a hole long before the cushioning or grip becomes dangerous. Bought from TW on sale, this represents not only the best value for me, but also allows the use of top level shoes so it's a win-win.

5 MATCHES?! :shock:

Assuming you buy them in-season, fresh off the showroom, that comes out to be $26/match!

grolson1993 03-08-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7258831)
Man, you don't read or are you just having a bad day and you'd like to pick a fight with me, again? I said I think my shoes are done (or getting close to being done) because I slide quite a lot, and the area nearby my toes don't have anymore tread left.

But yeah, sure, my "issue" is that new shoes have too much grip for me to slide. I sand them down just so I can slide. Whatever makes you happy, believe it.

Anyway, do you have anything positive to contribute to the discussion? If not, go pick a fight somewhere else.

Lol, it seems like you are the one who is angry... :)

NJ1 03-08-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7259104)
5 MATCHES?! :shock:

Assuming you buy them in-season, fresh off the showroom, that comes out to be $26/match!

Yup that's just an estimate given that I put a hole right through to my socks in the toe section of CB 3.3s inside 30 hours. Maybe would be more like like 8 matches for Vapors, but it's no wonder I only buy discounted 6 month warranty shoes. A couple of my close friends are strong open level players so I'm continually tearing around court trying to catch up to their shots. Plus I drag on my backhand and serve.

I wish I could justify wearing Vapors, they sound like very comfortable, light and stable shoes.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse