Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringing on Wilson Baiardo machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456846)

vinniedafoo18 03-06-2013 11:02 PM

Stringing on Wilson Baiardo machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0T6nryd7k0

comments, thoughts, or tips would be appreciate it, still too slow can't get around the 10 11 mins mark to beat the tenniswarehouse guys lol

zapvor 03-06-2013 11:06 PM

what city do you work in?

zapvor 03-06-2013 11:13 PM

wow it looks like you combine 2 weaving methods. by the way TW uses neos machine which can be faster than the pulling mechanism on something like the bairdo. awesome shop by the way you guys are fully stocked. by the way what string is that

vinniedafoo18 03-07-2013 12:18 AM

I live in Houston, Clear Lake area to be exact. Those are Kirshbaum Spiky Shark and Multifibre

vinniedafoo18 03-07-2013 12:24 AM

Lol and yes I have two weaving methods just because I'm a noob. Still can't master the weaving push method from start to finish, I'm too slow at the beginning part. I also always start my cross on top of the main string. I notice most pro I watch start them at the bottom. Not sure if that affect the weaving speed a bit, but I'm so use to my methods changing is hard for me haha.

Sweet-Spot 03-07-2013 02:24 AM

Nice machine... and its clear you've strung quite a few rackets. Doesn't seem to be a poly string, those thigns are harder to wield.

What was the method you were using to measure the crosses?

You were going for speed here so I thought you took as best care of the string as possible.

Thanks for sharing!

zapvor 03-07-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniedafoo18 (Post 7256076)
Lol and yes I have two weaving methods just because I'm a noob. Still can't master the weaving push method from start to finish, I'm too slow at the beginning part. I also always start my cross on top of the main string. I notice most pro I watch start them at the bottom. Not sure if that affect the weaving speed a bit, but I'm so use to my methods changing is hard for me haha.

i dont think starting on top or under matters. i switch constantly. haha you are no noob. my fastest time is about 60 seconds slower than yours.

zapvor 03-07-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet-Spot (Post 7256162)
Nice machine... and its clear you've strung quite a few rackets. Doesn't seem to be a poly string, those thigns are harder to wield.

What was the method you were using to measure the crosses?

You were going for speed here so I thought you took as best care of the string as possible.

Thanks for sharing!

same method he did for mains. using his arms. 3 lengths plus an elbow

diredesire 03-07-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniedafoo18 (Post 7255994)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0T6nryd7k0

comments, thoughts, or tips would be appreciate it, still too slow can't get around the 10 11 mins mark to beat the tenniswarehouse guys lol

Alright, I'll bite with some nitpicks:

I'll preface this with: Your technique is overall A-OK. I'd be happy handing you my frames to string. You can speed up your mains slightly by hanging on to the string end. Generally speaking, you'll be stringing at max 3 ahead on any given half of the mains. This means at times you'll be doing up to six thread-tension-clamps on any given side. This implies using the same string six times. You drop the string every single time, then spend a few seconds finding the string end. Keep the string end rolled up in a pinky/ring finger while you're tensioning and manipulating your clamps. Once you've clamped, you've already got the string end in your hand, next is just to find the next grommet you're working on. This will save maybe 30 seconds or so (minor, right? Well, not over the course of a pile of 10 frames).

Second gripe is: You tension the "one behind" string before pulling the crosses through (while leaving the tensioning loop). This is a 'theoretical' benefit. Since the point of weaving one ahead is for the second string to weave 'easily,' it should make intuitive sense that it's best to also fan/pull the crosses through as much as possible to minimize friction/string damage. You're also not 'fanning' the crosses much. On a hybrid (i believe) like this one, you won't take any major penalty, but on a sticky poly, you will burn crosses on the top/edges of the frame. You need to be moving your cross more (I see you DO fan it a bit) for safety's sake. This is a major nitpick, I think overall it's going to be fine for the vast majority of strings.

Edit: I should also point out that IF you do change this part of your technique, you lose the "built in" end-of-string finder you have by leaving the last cross un-pulled. IF you try to adopt the above due to string safety, you need to start holding the string end, or else it'll actually slow you down :lol:

I think your weaving technique as it is (half stich half push) is actually pretty AWESOME. That stitch weave will benefit you on the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the frame. It's hard to push weave with very little room to "V" weave. I wouldn't change it at all. The variety will help, and I imagine polys are actually easier for you on average due to the stitch. It's also very low impact over many many frames, I'd imagine.

Also... are you using an awl as a setting off tool? :shock: Move those clamps out from under the frame when you're doing it ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniedafoo18 (Post 7256076)

I'd say your level of stringing is pretty high. Don't bother trying to push weave at the beginning, your stitch is quicker than you think. Starting above/below doesn't matter, as long as you're consistent. Developing and having a habit is a good thing, IMHO. I start under because I find it's easier to guide the cross into the hole when it ends over rather than pulling slack and then poking it into a grommet. It's marginally faster, as above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7256614)
i dont think starting on top or under matters. i switch constantly. haha you are no noob. my fastest time is about 60 seconds slower than yours.

If you have absolutely no preference, this isn't a big deal, but I'd argue having a "style" here is a good thing. If you always start under (on the outside most cross), you have an error checking method (or misweaving check). If you always expect to start under the outermost cross, and you find yourself starting over (due to the previous string), you've got a mis-weave check built in to your process. If you always start under, and the previous string ENDED under, you know you've made at least an odd number of mistakes on the previous cross (skipped one weave or three). If that makes any sense... Speed wise, I don't think it matters unless you find guiding the string straight into the grommet easier one way or the other. It's one of those "diminishing returns" issues, but that'll get you your 30s-1m shaved off in the long run.

I don't generally string strictly for speed, but eliminating wasted movement adds up over the course of a large pile of racquets, which is why I even think about these things to begin with.

Wikky 03-07-2013 09:09 AM

Fast time, I think I'm right around the same on a baiardo. I actually take a lot longer on the mains though, mainly because i'm lazy. It would be interesting to see you weave with all poly and how much your speed decreases.

Overall you're a great stringer though, definitely could string any synthetic faster than me.

Lakers4Life 03-07-2013 10:19 AM

Doesn't he work for the other Tennis company in Texas? I find it easier to pull string from reel when the reel is being held. Like on a rack or holder.

vinniedafoo18 03-07-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7256942)
Doesn't he work for the other Tennis company in Texas? I find it easier to pull string from reel when the reel is being held. Like on a rack or holder.

No I don't work for tennis express lol, I work for a small local shop (40 miles away) that tennis express try to prevent us from opening because they didn't want to lose their market/customers.

vinniedafoo18 03-07-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7256696)
Alright, I'll bite with some nitpicks:

I'll preface this with: Your technique is overall A-OK. I'd be happy handing you my frames to string. You can speed up your mains slightly by hanging on to the string end. Generally speaking, you'll be stringing at max 3 ahead on any given half of the mains. This means at times you'll be doing up to six thread-tension-clamps on any given side. This implies using the same string six times. You drop the string every single time, then spend a few seconds finding the string end. Keep the string end rolled up in a pinky/ring finger while you're tensioning and manipulating your clamps. Once you've clamped, you've already got the string end in your hand, next is just to find the next grommet you're working on. This will save maybe 30 seconds or so (minor, right? Well, not over the course of a pile of 10 frames).

Second gripe is: You tension the "one behind" string before pulling the crosses through (while leaving the tensioning loop). This is a 'theoretical' benefit. Since the point of weaving one ahead is for the second string to weave 'easily,' it should make intuitive sense that it's best to also fan/pull the crosses through as much as possible to minimize friction/string damage. You're also not 'fanning' the crosses much. On a hybrid (i believe) like this one, you won't take any major penalty, but on a sticky poly, you will burn crosses on the top/edges of the frame. You need to be moving your cross more (I see you DO fan it a bit) for safety's sake. This is a major nitpick, I think overall it's going to be fine for the vast majority of strings.

Edit: I should also point out that IF you do change this part of your technique, you lose the "built in" end-of-string finder you have by leaving the last cross un-pulled. IF you try to adopt the above due to string safety, you need to start holding the string end, or else it'll actually slow you down :lol:

I think your weaving technique as it is (half stich half push) is actually pretty AWESOME. That stitch weave will benefit you on the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the frame. It's hard to push weave with very little room to "V" weave. I wouldn't change it at all. The variety will help, and I imagine polys are actually easier for you on average due to the stitch. It's also very low impact over many many frames, I'd imagine.

Also... are you using an awl as a setting off tool? :shock: Move those clamps out from under the frame when you're doing it ;)

I'd say your level of stringing is pretty high. Don't bother trying to push weave at the beginning, your stitch is quicker than you think. Starting above/below doesn't matter, as long as you're consistent. Developing and having a habit is a good thing, IMHO. I start under because I find it's easier to guide the cross into the hole when it ends over rather than pulling slack and then poking it into a grommet. It's marginally faster, as above.

If you have absolutely no preference, this isn't a big deal, but I'd argue having a "style" here is a good thing. If you always start under (on the outside most cross), you have an error checking method (or misweaving check). If you always expect to start under the outermost cross, and you find yourself starting over (due to the previous string), you've got a mis-weave check built in to your process. If you always start under, and the previous string ENDED under, you know you've made at least an odd number of mistakes on the previous cross (skipped one weave or three). If that makes any sense... Speed wise, I don't think it matters unless you find guiding the string straight into the grommet easier one way or the other. It's one of those "diminishing returns" issues, but that'll get you your 30s-1m shaved off in the long run.

I don't generally string strictly for speed, but eliminating wasted movement adds up over the course of a large pile of racquets, which is why I even think about these things to begin with.

Thanks for the tips and the compliment. I understand your point totally on holding onto the string for the mains. The crosses I did fan it a lot moving my fingers up and down, just kinda fast, and maybe the camera angle didn't do it enough justice. This racket was for a good customer so I wouldn't want to burn her string for sure. The awl is dull so I'm not damaging the string at all, unless you got any other tools suggestions for me to try ;D Maybe if I get a slow day I'll string up my Prestige MP with a full poly and record another one for fun :)

Roger Wawrinka 03-07-2013 07:49 PM

Nice stringing man and nice shop! :)

zapvor 03-07-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniedafoo18 (Post 7257870)
No I don't work for tennis express lol, I work for a small local shop (40 miles away) that tennis express try to prevent us from opening because they didn't want to lose their market/customers.

40miles is a long way.

zapvor 03-07-2013 07:55 PM

i somehow have my own system of checking misweave. i havent had one in the last 1000 or so. i am not sure. i just kind of feel it.

Lakers4Life 03-07-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Hey Man, I did not mean to "out" you, but that's a load BS. 40 miles is a long way for a competing tennis shop...LOL

I order from TE once in a while and recall seeing your name on the person who packed my order.

Here is his previous thread on a Alpha Revo 4000 with a Wise.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=326517

diredesire 03-07-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7257896)
i somehow have my own system of checking misweave. i havent had one in the last 1000 or so. i am not sure. i just kind of feel it.

Most stringers are going to feel a misweave, always going one way on start is just a process optimization, IMHO. Like I said, it's not going to hurt you, but adding consistency is never going to hurt from a process perspective.

Macedo 03-08-2013 02:18 AM

What were you doing in the end? Never saw that :???:

gavna 03-08-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

How would TE try to stop you from opening a shop in Clear Lake? Don't think that many folks drive all the way to the Memorial area to get stuff done, your competition are the small shops in the various clubs in CL.

Opening a new shop very cool, that now gives Houston 4 Tennis specific shops.......where are you located? Bay Area, NASA 1, Kemah?