Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What Got You Hooked On Tennis As A Kid? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456873)

max 03-07-2013 08:23 AM

What Got You Hooked On Tennis As A Kid?

I'm curious how you got into tennis, and what really made it go for you as a sport.

In my case, I liked hitting the ball with the racquet. It was a good feel. It was also a challenge to put the ball across the net and into the other court.

BHiC 03-07-2013 09:17 AM

My dad is a decent 4.0 player and I always watched him play when I was little. I wanted to play tennis just like him, and at 6 I took my first lesson. From then on I have loved the sport. Another reason why I played tennis is that I wasn't exceptionally quick or athletic as a kid, but I was a good ball striker and had good hands at the net.

I quit tennis for about 4 months to play basketball when I was 9 (my parents were big believers in 1 sport at a time), but once spring came back around I just had to pick up a tennis racquet again. From then on it has been all tennis and to this day I can't think of much I would prefer to do than practice. Now if I could just figure out how to enjoy competing I would be in business!:)

slowfox 03-07-2013 10:17 AM

Not sure, but my friends were all playing... good times :)

JRstriker12 03-07-2013 10:26 AM

Hitting against my dad under the lights at night. Loved it. I wanted to just rally all night.

Fyrepower 03-07-2013 10:33 AM

I started because my mom said that i had to be in a sport when i was in the 7th grade and i have never looked back.

nyc 03-07-2013 10:37 AM

Watching my dad play on these awesome clay courts that had the same courts as Roland Garros, and playing with him when I was 6,7...and hours of hitting the wall, waiting for him to finish so we can hit.

If I close my eyes, I can still smell the wet red clay / the locker room combo in that club.

That's still the best Tennis memory for me.

And beating him when I was 15. :)

VaththalKuzhambu 03-07-2013 11:02 AM

Have a sob story behind me getting into tennis. I grew up in a location where tennis facilities were affordable / reserved / restricted to the upper echelons of society. I would walk past the court almost everyday and watch bald, obese, 40-something and 50-something men struggle to keep the ball in the court despite the 10-foot fence on all 4 sides. I have even been asked to pick up balls from the road and return them to court several times. At that time I longed to set foot into the court and feel the clay surface and even hold and feel a racquet.

Never got the chance until the age of 23, having moved to the US, when my then-girlfriend, current-wife dragged me to the court one summer evening out of boredom. A couple of Walmart Wilson racquets and a few used balls scoured out of the woods behind the courts is what I started out with. Two weeks later I came across a 110 sq. in, 3-grip-sizes larger racquet at TJ Maxx's, of all the places. Played with that racquet for a year until someone I met at a pick-up-courts explained to me that racquets come in different head and grip sizes.

In the last 10 years since then, my wife has wished several times that she had not dragged me to the court that fateful evening. :)

forzamilan90 03-07-2013 11:17 AM

Federer vs Hewitt. Bad tv quality can't remember where but i thought guy with ponytail is bad ***

TahoeTennis 03-07-2013 11:34 AM

2 of my best friends picked it up in the late 80's. By 89 we were all about Rock N Roll Tennis.
So in one word:

Andre

After picking up a racquet and playing with my friends, i was hooked for life.

Dedans Penthouse 03-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaththalKuzhambu (Post 7257056)
Have a sob story behind me getting into tennis. I grew up in a location where tennis facilities were affordable / reserved / restricted to the upper echelons of society. I would walk past the court almost everyday and watch bald, obese, 40-something and 50-something men struggle to keep the ball in the court despite the 10-foot fence on all 4 sides. I have even been asked to pick up balls from the road and return them to court several times. At that time I longed to set foot into the court and feel the clay surface and even hold and feel a racquet.

Never got the chance until the age of 23, having moved to the US, when my then-girlfriend, current-wife dragged me to the court one summer evening out of boredom. A couple of Walmart Wilson racquets and a few used balls scoured out of the woods behind the courts is what I started out with. Two weeks later I came across a 110 sq. in, 3-grip-sizes larger racquet at TJ Maxx's, of all the places. Played with that racquet for a year until someone I met at a pick-up-courts explained to me that racquets come in different head and grip sizes.

In the last 10 years since then, my wife has wished several times that she had not dragged me to the court that fateful evening.
:)

^^^
THAT is a winning volley of a post - nice share!

JRstriker12 03-07-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaththalKuzhambu (Post 7257056)

In the last 10 years since then, my wife has wished several times that she had not dragged me to the court that fateful evening. :)

LOL! (10 char)

fps 03-07-2013 12:07 PM

Funnily enough I wasn't a kid. I wish I had been though. I played socially with friends in doubles and one time I nailed a serve, which I'd never done before, and it was the best feeling. I had to get that feeling back!

The Meat 03-07-2013 01:53 PM

A combination of this man right before he retired

and this epic match

Edit: copied wrong url, but don't get me wrong Edberg is in my top 3.

Chivo 03-07-2013 02:01 PM

My dad married a tennis pro.

Tennis pro stepmom = free lessons!!

Oz_Rocket 03-07-2013 02:13 PM

We had a tennis court next door and three doors down that my mum played social tennis on when I was a kid. So at the age of 4 or 5 she let me hit with her wooden Dunlop racquet. Was never a natural athlete but had great hand/eye coordination so I stayed with tennis.

thejackal 03-07-2013 02:41 PM

when I was 5 my dad went to play at an indoor club in my hometown with a few of his university friends. he brought me along because my mom was busy so he just had me sit on the bench and watch them for two hours. I kept bugging him to let me play but he never did. didn't actually touch a racquet until my early teens, when I got into it after watching epic matches at the US Open (el aynaoui vs moya & pete vs andre in 2002) and Wimbledon (Federer's finals in 03 and 04)

funny enough, I ended up becoming friends with a girl from my hometown who is roughly my age and became a WTA pro (she's around #130 in singles and #35 in doubles). we talked once about how she got started (dad was a pro soccer player, mom was a pro volleyball player, she was kind of forced into playing tennis when she was 4 or 5) and my missed connection with the game. turned out she's a bit jealous that I had a normal life - school, friends, job, etc. while I'm obviously very envious that she gets to travel the world and play tennis for a living. guess that's life.

LeeD 03-07-2013 03:01 PM

Yeah, most tennis kids, even if successful in tennis, are intriqued by someone who plays tennis for fun, and does other sports for fun also.
They are pressured to play tennis. They see the other side too.

Overdrive 03-07-2013 04:04 PM

When I was 13, I told my friend in tennis: "I'm joining tennis so I can beat you".

After school, I grabbed a racquet my current-coach's "club" of a racquet and played with him. We only played three games and I lost 0-3. :)

A year later, I beat him to be the #2 player on the team. I quickly developed more than other players due to intense workout and practicing for hours with other coaches and pros. I even won a few singles tournaments too! :D

Relinquis 03-07-2013 05:05 PM

As all children did where i grew up i played a lot of football (the foot kind)... ever since i can remember really. playing the neighbourhood, school, etc... and as a young child played table tennis daily with my brothers and friends. sometimes i played against the adults in my family for snacks as prizes, but mostly we competed for pride. I was hooked on competing.

pestered my parents into signing me up for group tennis (not the table kind) lessons at the national academy one summer. first time i noticed that there were kids that could hit harder than me. was quite the hit to my ego, so i swung harder! the problem was there was no competition. just drills. we didn't play sets, on a few points occasionally and lots and lots of drills. I wanted to compete*.

I remember agruing with my friends about grips. continental vs. eastern. having one grip vs. changing for each stroke. hitting closed face vs. flat... my racquet felt so heavy.

used to play with my cousins and friends at a club my uncle was a member of. that was more fun, competing. i remember having a buggywhip forehand when on the run** (some strange amalgam of my football and table tennis habits); i remember people trying to coach me out of it, telling me to stop and set up and to swing across to my shoulder not above my head, but the ball seemed to keep me in points so i stubbornly stuck with it.

but that was defense, i was mostly an attacking player. i used to take everything on the rise until i got to the net. wanted to end every point with a smash, sampras style. i remember the nerves when girls were watching us play. i remember how cold the pool was when we'd jump in after practice and i remember the end of day barbecues.

fast forward to my 30s... most of the friends i used to play with are busy child rearing. i still go to the courts to hit, practice and play whomever. i still swing all out. still take the ball on the rise, still have that buggywhip forehand when on the run. still love to compete. still stubborn about how i play tennis.

* I had no idea that there were tournaments for children, or teens. i thought only adults played those.
** My regular forehand was very flat and was either a winner or in the back fence.

Seth 03-07-2013 08:26 PM

I was attending a week-long summer camp that required campers to attend two "tracks" during the week. These tracks consisted of sports, music, crafts, and so on. My best friend saw a pretty girl sign up for tennis, so he asked me to sign up for tennis with him as his "wingman" of sorts.

While he tried (fruitlessly) to flirt with the girl, I began learning the fundamentals of the game. As soon as I returned home, I went to Walmart and bought a Wilson Mach 3.

12 years later, I'm absolutely obsessed with the sport.