Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Will this damage frame? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456899)

jatnut 03-07-2013 11:47 AM

Will this damage frame?

I have some older 200Gs but they have always been strung using nylon tubing on a few of the holes. Will the frame be damaged if I dont use the tubing especially on any that have cracked grommets?

Thanks much.

bcart1991 03-07-2013 11:49 AM

The tubing is there to protect the string more so than the frame. The sharp edges will cut the strings long before it will damage the frame.

jatnut 03-07-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks Bcart. I was just concerned as I dont want to ruin these 20+ years old frames and almost everytime I see one strung they use tubing. So I was wondering if these frames are particularly soft or something.

Squidward 03-07-2013 12:38 PM

Why chance it? The tubing is cheap insurance...

diredesire 03-07-2013 01:07 PM

Which 200G? Are we talking about the MAX? If so, tubing not really required ;)

If anything else (MW, HM, AG, MFIL, etc), I'd opt for the tubing. I'd also recommend just using whatever modern rendition is out, as the mold on the classic 200g line is likely to be shared.

jatnut 03-07-2013 01:30 PM

Its the 198+ old IMF grafil MAX 200G that has the strategical position grommets in the side and throat. I have seen tubing generally used in 12 of the head holes and 4 of the throat.
The shared hole grommets on one of the racquets are cracked so I ordered both fittex individual grommets as well as tubing but its going to take about 2 weeks at least for me to get it and I have some racquets that need restringing by the weekend.

diredesire 03-07-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jatnut (Post 7257362)
Its the 198+ old IMF grafil MAX 200G that has the strategical position grommets in the side and throat. I have seen tubing generally used in 12 of the head holes and 4 of the throat.
The shared hole grommets on one of the racquets are cracked so I ordered both fittex individual grommets as well as tubing but its going to take about 2 weeks at least for me to get it and I have some racquets that need restringing by the weekend.

Ah, that version I am not familiar with (after some google searching, I see what you mean). I'd have to see it in person to give it a blessing, but the version I had for a short while had no grommets to my recollection. If the 'strategic' (corner)/shared holes were drilled, then all bets are off. If they are constructed in the same way as the rest of the grommets, I'd say no problem.

In short: I have no idea.

uk_skippy 03-07-2013 01:38 PM

IMO the rqt was originally strung using tubing at the top, and on the throat area; and so I'd always string it that way.

Would it hurt the frame it tubing wasn't used? probably not unless those holes are damaged.

Regards

Paul