Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Indian Wells court speed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456996)

SassyRamirez 03-08-2013 11:16 AM

Indian Wells court speed

So how mind-numbingly slow are the courts this year? Same old same old or did they manage to get them to be even slower? :shock:

cluckcluck 03-08-2013 11:20 AM

I hear from some friends that it is in fact much slower this year. I'll be out there tomorrow to confirm what they're saying.

In about 5 years, I imagine it will be about as slow as clay.

Murrayfan31 03-08-2013 11:21 AM

Miami is slower. Indian Wells is pretty neutral imo. But Miami is like purple clay.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-08-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrayfan31 (Post 7259141)
Miami is slower. Indian Wells is pretty neutral imo. But Miami is like purple clay.

That can't be, otherwise Nadal would have said something already.

SassyRamirez 03-08-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7259139)
I hear from some friends that it is in fact much slower this year. I'll be out there tomorrow to confirm what they're saying.

In about 5 years, I imagine it will be about as slow as clay.

Yes according to Stakhovsky it's been slowed down even more:

Also I'm pretty sure their are clay tournaments faster than IW and Miami.

Federer20042006 03-08-2013 12:09 PM

IW's always been pretty low bouncing, though. Federer mentioned he likes the surface because his slice stays low.

db10s 03-08-2013 01:45 PM

Is it me or did the color change?

VeryVolkl 03-08-2013 01:56 PM

I have a goofy but related question - is the grittiness of the courts the cause of them looking so beat up already?

db10s 03-08-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryVolkl (Post 7259392)
I have a goofy but related question - is the grittiness of the courts the cause of them looking so beat up already?

Yep, even as a ballboy at Delray my B7s got some noticeable wear on the outsole.

rainingaces 03-08-2013 02:02 PM

They clearly want Nadal and Djokovic to do well. $$$

cluckcluck 03-08-2013 02:17 PM

Just got this from a friend who is down there right now, "Hit on them last night.. They're slow but the new ball they're using is fast."

I asked if it was still Penn and he said yes.

Relinquis 03-08-2013 02:19 PM

i've only seen the women play, we'll find out how slow it is when the men play.

tlm 03-08-2013 02:27 PM

Do these endless slow court crybaby threads have to be started for every atp tournament? If so many hate the way the courts play today then quit watching the matches.

Go watch the old time fast surface serve contest tennis and quit whining about todays courts and game.

augustobt 03-08-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7259436)
Do these endless slow court crybaby threads have to be started for every atp tournament? If so many hate the way the courts play today then quit watching the matches.

Go watch the old time fast surface serve contest tennis and quit whining about todays courts and game.

Dude... just stop.

Horrible, but I think it's faster than Miami. Everything is faster than Miami, Madrid is, for sure.

Costagirl 03-08-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassyRamirez (Post 7259215)
Yes according to Stakhovsky it's been slowed down even more:

Also I'm pretty sure their are clay tournaments faster than IW and Miami.

How has it gotten past me that IW is a slow hard court? Notably slow...do player complain? What gives there?

ark_28 03-08-2013 04:47 PM

If it has been slowed down then it is a disgrace for tennis and from the USTA the fact is the American number 1 John isner on a super fast court with his serve would be lethal! The tournament officials should have considered this and prepared a lightning fast surface! Slowing the courts down universally is runining our sport.

Overdrive 03-08-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7259704)
If it has been slowed down then it is a disgrace for tennis and from the USTA the fact is the American number 1 John isner on a super fast court with his serve would be lethal! The tournament officials should have considered this and prepared a lightning fast surface! Slowing the courts down universally is runining our sport.

Regardless if it is fast or slow, there are always going to be players who will have advantage or disadvantage from this... unfortunately, it's only going to be the top players in the Semis and the Finals again just like the Australian Open... :(

Murrayfan31 03-08-2013 05:03 PM

Every time they resurface, the courts start slow and speed up over time.

Relinquis 03-08-2013 05:10 PM

On tennis channel, davenport mentioned that nadal and blake have said the ball travels fast through the air, but bounced high, i.e. slow court.

I think blake mentioend, during his tennis channel interview, that they were high bouncing but i don't recall him saying that they were slow. he said it worked for his game as he could take a good rip at the ball.

can't remember blake interview word for word, so don't quote me.

Goosehead 03-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7259704)

its not ruining the sport..the viewing public and tv audiences like it, thats why its happening (slower courts).