Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   SPAIN tennis camps for juniors...help? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457007)

EAItennismum 03-08-2013 02:36 PM

SPAIN tennis camps for juniors...help?

We have been looking at summer tennis camps in and around Barcelona for the month (or three weeks) of July for our daughter who is a junior in Canada (u14). There are quite a few options..some extremely pricey. We are looking more at honing her skills rather than a tennis vacation (that will happen at the end of July!!!). Still, we would like her to have fun and remain passionate about her game and really prepare her for u16 tournament play that she will face in the fall. We were told to look at Sanchez-Casal, Bruguera and elite...all of which offer different options. Does anyone have experience or knowledge with any summer camps in Spain? Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Costagirl 03-08-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAItennismum (Post 7259448)
We have been looking at summer tennis camps in and around Barcelona for the month (or three weeks) of July for our daughter who is a junior in Canada (u14). There are quite a few options..some extremely pricey. We are looking more at honing her skills rather than a tennis vacation (that will happen at the end of July!!!). Still, we would like her to have fun and remain passionate about her game and really prepare her for u16 tournament play that she will face in the fall. We were told to look at Sanchez-Casal, Bruguera and elite...all of which offer different options. Does anyone have experience or knowledge with any summer camps in Spain? Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Yes! I can tell you that Sanchez has nice facilities if she is boarding there..I am not going to tell you I was that impressed with the tennis or customer service. More marketing than anything else. I can tell you Bruguera is a 20 minutes out of Barcelona and kids are happy there. I read posts all the time saying how they aren't that good anymore. I was there - first hand - the kids that board are high level. It is a homey environment...kids her age..from allover the world. Facilities are fine. Customer service is great. Xavier / Director - class act. Elite has a good reputation. I looked there for adults and college tennis. Just not certain about juniors. And I must tell you there is a fantastic spot in Mallorca with Jofre Porta that is incredible. Again it's an intimate boarding academy, homey feel, jofre and his wife live there, great instructors, everyone is working for sure but serious and smiling.

Great experience for her to train a bit in Spain...so kudos to you! You won't regret it.:)

EAItennismum 03-10-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks so much Costagirl!!! I was a bit nervous about Sanchez and we have finally ruled that one out. We were also looking at BTA tennis, any thoughts? I will absolutely look into the camp at Majorca. I am a bit leery about her boarding and thought I would go beforehand with her, perhaps rent an apartment and then meet my family later in the month. Daily transportation to the academy could grow to be a headache though. Just nervous, I suppose. I really do want her to have fun but we REALLY want her to work on her skills and ultimately have an incredibly positive experience. Thank you so much for your input!!!

gavna 03-10-2013 06:27 PM

My daughter was at Sanchez for almost 2 yrs and spent time in Spain and the US.......we have no complaints, BTA is good and what's really nice it's still quite intimate......also being away from Barcelona (about 30 min south) just makes it that much more attractive. Barcelona awesome but it's a huge mess at times and some of the worst traffic in the world!:):) much nicer to visit then spend that much time there.

Raphael at BTA excellent coach btw.

EAItennismum 03-10-2013 08:05 PM

Thanks so much Gavna. It is indeed a difficult decision!!! I am concerned that Sanchez is all about marketing but I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience there! Cost is a factor and I am waiting to hear from the academy in Mallorca and BTA and then we will go from there. I am hoping that 2-3 weeks will help our daughter improve her skills and gain more confidence for tournament play. She is so SO enthusiastic and is out there on the courts everyday...we really hope that this training will give her a leg up and prepare her for u16 in December. If anyone else has ANY thoughts, I would love to hear them.

gavna 03-10-2013 10:26 PM

My 15 yr old spent 4 weeks this past summer at Mouratoglou Aademy outside Paris in Thiverval - we stayed one week and for the rest with family in Paris. He used it as a base for some ITF events he ayed in France then Spain.

Actually we liked it here the best of all......getting more popular and the work the kids get is excellent. They base much of the training from the French FFT system but Patrick very hands on. We will be going back in June and he is set to stay all summer - we all speak French but English by common as well.

EAItennismum 03-11-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks Gavna. Do you prefer France to Spain for tennis?

gavna 03-11-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAItennismum (Post 7266663)
Thanks Gavna. Do you prefer France to Spain for tennis?

That's easy FRANCE.........but I'm biased, grew up in France but I have family in Spain (Catalona region) and in France.

We vacation in both places - we have a house on the border between France and Spain and spend summers there. The whole Catalan coast is awesome - not that crowed until late July then all the Germans, Danes and Brits show up and take over.

The French have what is probably the highest tennis participation in Europe........the sport is easily the Number 1 participation sport and is only behind football in popularity. They are truly nuts about tennis and the FFT regulates it very well. Very easy to find and play in tournaments -

Spain also big tennis nation but nothing like the French. Check out the FFT and the RFET sites to get a good idea of each.

EAItennismum 03-11-2013 08:59 PM

Fantastic! GAVNA!!!! ...a lovely place to have a home. I am certain your summers are dreamy! We are going to vacation in that area for 4 weeks in August so I thought it would be nice to go 3 weeks earlier with my daughter and so she could train ( I will run and perhaps hit a ball or two as well)...and the rest of the family meet up at the end of July....it's just finding the academy that best suits her. I think it is between BTA and Jofre Porta in Mallorca...unless I hear something to the contrary.

gavna 03-12-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAItennismum (Post 7267206)
Fantastic! GAVNA!!!! ...a lovely place to have a home. I am certain your summers are dreamy! We are going to vacation in that area for 4 weeks in August so I thought it would be nice to go 3 weeks earlier with my daughter and so she could train ( I will run and perhaps hit a ball or two as well)...and the rest of the family meet up at the end of July....it's just finding the academy that best suits her. I think it is between BTA and Jofre Porta in Mallorca...unless I hear something to the contrary.

I would choose Mallorca just cause its such an awesome place. Sitges (where BTA is now) is a nice town and is close to Barca so you can take day trips (never never never drive the car into Barca - take the train - traffic is worse than anything I have seen at times!) stuff in L.A. even Mexico City not as bad.

Costagirl 03-12-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAItennismum (Post 7263687)
Thanks so much Costagirl!!! I was a bit nervous about Sanchez and we have finally ruled that one out. We were also looking at BTA tennis, any thoughts? I will absolutely look into the camp at Majorca. I am a bit leery about her boarding and thought I would go beforehand with her, perhaps rent an apartment and then meet my family later in the month. Daily transportation to the academy could grow to be a headache though. Just nervous, I suppose. I really do want her to have fun but we REALLY want her to work on her skills and ultimately have an incredibly positive experience. Thank you so much for your input!!!

No worries at all. Gavna has a lot of experience in the area as well. But check out here under Mallorca college or adults. you can get a good idea of the Mallorca property. And I sincerely believe there is no one better than Jofre Porta and his team for juniors. If you need me to make an introduction..connect with me on my website.
http://www.costa-del-tennis.com/

Costagirl 03-12-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7264093)
My daughter was at Sanchez for almost 2 yrs and spent time in Spain and the US.......we have no complaints, BTA is good and what's really nice it's still quite intimate......also being away from Barcelona (about 30 min south) just makes it that much more attractive. Barcelona awesome but it's a huge mess at times and some of the worst traffic in the world!:):) much nicer to visit then spend that much time there.

Raphael at BTA excellent coach btw.

Thanks for the tip Gavna ... :)