Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Carlos Moya wins Roma Final 6-3 6-3 6-1 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=4571)

Free_Martha 05-09-2004 10:13 AM

Carlos Moya wins Roma Final 6-3 6-3 6-1

Congratualtions to Carlos Moya on his third TMS career title and his third win of the year. Nalbandian didn't stand a chance. Moya is surely one of the favorites going into Roland Garros now. :)

Mighty Moya Blitzes Nalbandian in Rome Final

Sixth seed Carlos Moya captured his third ATP Masters Series shield and 17th career title when he defeated Argentine David Nalbandian 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 in the final of the Telecom Italia Masters in Rome. Moya, who has appeared in five finals on five continents in the first five months of the season, surges from fifth to second in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race. Moya’s victory means that the Top four players in Monday's new Race standings have won the first four ATP Masters Series tournaments of the year: Roger Federer (Indian Wells), Andy Roddick (Miami), Guillermo Coria (Monte Carlo) and Moya (Rome).

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 05-09-2004 10:32 AM

Thats my boy Moya. He's gotta be like top 3 favorite for RG along with Coria and Ferrero. He could go all the way. I'm looking at about 2 more titles this year for Moya, that would be 5 in one year, aka awesome.

Feña14 05-09-2004 11:08 AM

Moya looked to good for anyone this week, I think that he could of taken care of Federer the way that he played this week.

Not bad for the second best Spanish player :wink:

Liam

juu 05-09-2004 01:02 PM

I saw a forehand he made between his legs while facing the net (ball too close, decided against volleying)... impressive (or just very lucky).

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 05-09-2004 01:25 PM

That was awesome. He had just hit an inside out forehand for an attempted angle winner. Bandy went way out wide for it, then whacked a backhand cross right back at Moya, Moya just kinda stepped back, hit a through the legs approach, Bandy ran back, went for a lob, Moya put away an overhead, it was great.

Jonas 05-09-2004 03:57 PM

I have always been a fan of Moya and his game, but have been guilty of writing him off on several different occasions. (I.e. should have beat andre in that '99 french quarter and choked) (verkerk in last year's french) just to name a couple, but every time i do this he comes back and when's a big tournament and has really had the best season of anyone on the tour (federer) Right now he is peaking at the right time and with the lack of matches and injuries to jcf and coria this looks like his best shot since well, last year to win the french again. It would be very moya-like for him to lose first or second round to someone like david sanchez or galo blanco at roland garros. Let's just hope for the best. I guess it's a safe bet to say that someone from either spain or argentina will win the french :)

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 05-09-2004 04:22 PM

And that person will be Moya or Coria. They're gonna meet in the final, and Moya will take it. He's gonna go semis or beyond for sure. He is so hot right now, not many can stop him.

VamosRafa 05-09-2004 05:16 PM

I'm so pleased about Carlos's win. He has struggled at this tourney in the past, and it's nice for him to make this breakthrough. It's something that will give him confidence in future tourneys.

And besides, I'd really like to see him in Houston again this year. :wink:

Vamos, Carlos!

@wright 05-09-2004 05:41 PM

Big win for Moya, if his backhand and tenacity hold up, he could definitely be the one who lifts the hardware in Paris.

robbie_dademo 05-09-2004 09:07 PM

hey guys i didnt see the much but did nalbandian play bad or moya just awesome? what happened

jings 05-09-2004 11:11 PM

@wright kinda got it, his b/h held up well which let the rest of his game talk. Serve was working but the forehand was just motoring last night, too much on it for Nalbandian (we must find a nick for him ... Nalby is too wet) - just crushing it up the lines. Moya has looked better every time I've watched him this year - he's gonna be thereabouts at RG.

Hyperstate 05-10-2004 05:55 AM

Good to see Moya firing on all cylinders and hitting his shots. It was definitely a good win over Nalbandian. No choking this time! Hope he maintains his form going into the French :D

irishbanger 05-10-2004 06:13 AM

Don't read too much into this. His lack of consistancy makes me question his desire. I'm guessing he will celebrate for a few weeks and do poorly at French.

baseliner 05-10-2004 08:15 AM

This one wasn't even a match. Moya never let Bando into the match. I think he tanks German Open and plays well in Paris. If he were to go deep into the draw in Germany, he arrives in Paris worn out.

jings 05-10-2004 05:19 PM

"bando" - like it baseliner. Don't think I've seen this one. Given his unruly curls and head gear, it is even more apt.

pound cat 05-10-2004 05:24 PM

His play to-day was as smooth as silk & a delight to watch