Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Rackets with no external grommet holes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457130)

Autodidactic player 03-10-2013 05:46 AM

Rackets with no external grommet holes

Here are six of my rackets with no external grommet holes. How many can you identify?

Autodidactic player 03-10-2013 10:39 AM

Here's a picture that ought to make it a bit easier to identify the rackets.

coachrick 03-10-2013 12:38 PM

Naturally, the gruppo would include the Tretorn, Seamco/Seamless, Fox ATP horrible-racket-I've-removed-from-my-memory, can't-remember-the MagLev, Madderraq, or whatever it was called.

BUT, most importantly...where the heck is the T2/3/4/5000 ???

Is one of those a Sterling?

Nice collection. A stringer's nightmare.

Autodidactic player 03-10-2013 01:06 PM

Coach,

You got the Tretorn and the Fox ("ATP Mid-Fox") correct. There is no Sterling. The chrome racket is a "Cortland Steel;" the one with the air valve is the "Maynard AirPower;" and the one on top is the "Midland STR." The Seamless/Seamco looking racket is actually the predecessor called "Hart Pro Aluminum". Here's a better picture.

retrowagen 03-10-2013 02:51 PM

Cool, I recognized your Midland STR right away. I found one of those a few years back; was surprised by the design ideas it embodies, not to mention the weird cast aluminum construction!

coachrick 03-10-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7263231)
Coach,

You got the Tretorn and the Fox ("ATP Mid-Fox") correct. There is no Sterling. The chrome racket is a "Cortland Steel;" the one with the air valve is the "Maynard AirPower;" and the one on top is the "Midland STR." The Seamless/Seamco looking racket is actually the predecessor called "Hart Pro Aluminum". Here's a better picture.

By the way, A p, I lived in Stonesthrow Apts. back in '84-'85. Actually ran a mixed doubles tournament at Spencer Love TC called the "Boast About Greensboro" Tournament. I repped for Boast and others at the time...called on Sedgefield CC, Forest Oaks, Starmount and others. Omega Sports was headquartered there(only a few stores at that time)...My largest account, by far, was SportLine of Hilton Head--also with the HQ in G-boro. Closing in on 30 years now! I am REALLY getting old!

gavna 03-10-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7263231)
Coach,

Aaahhhhh the Hart.....another Ski company trying to get into the tennis biz in the 70s.

Autodidactic player 03-11-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7264453)
By the way, A p, I lived in Stonesthrow Apts. back in '84-'85. Actually ran a mixed doubles tournament at Spencer Love TC called the "Boast About Greensboro" Tournament. I repped for Boast and others at the time...called on Sedgefield CC, Forest Oaks, Starmount and others. Omega Sports was headquartered there(only a few stores at that time)...My largest account, by far, was SportLine of Hilton Head--also with the HQ in G-boro. Closing in on 30 years now! I am REALLY getting old!

What a small world. Spencer-Love is still going strong, I play there every so often in the summer; decent har-tru courts for $4.00 per hour for residents. Ya can't beat that!

I was finishing up law school in Chapel Hill in '84-'85 but when I graduated the Air Force sent me to Bergstrom AFB in lovely Austin TX! The base was actually quite nice, lots of tennis courts, jogging paths and a great golf course. Interestingly, the palm trees outside the officer's club were home to quite a few tropical birds. Unfortunately, the base closed in 1993. I got off active duty in 1991 and moved to Greensboro. Been here ever since.

coachrick 03-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7265855)
What a small world. Spencer-Love is still going strong, I play there every so often in the summer; decent har-tru courts for $4.00 per hour for residents. Ya can't beat that!

I was finishing up law school in Chapel Hill in '84-'85 but when I graduated the Air Force sent me to Bergstrom AFB in lovely Austin TX! The base was actually quite nice, lots of tennis courts, jogging paths and a great golf course. Interestingly, the palm trees outside the officer's club were home to quite a few tropical birds. Unfortunately, the base closed in 1993. I got off active duty in 1991 and moved to Greensboro. Been here ever since.

As long as I have derailed the thread, Bergstrom more or less became the city's airport: ABIA, Austin-Bergstrom Int'l. The old Mueller city airport is now an 'urban development' of housing, retail along with a hospital. We looked at the area in its infancy-just a few row-style homes and a control tower!!! Acres and acres of F-L-A-T.http://www.muelleraustinonline.com/about.php

I almost bought my first house in Chapel Hill...on the road toward the Tennis Club...little bitty one-bedroom and a loft-style homes...single car garage. Just a shade over $100k, IIRC. The two-year stint in G'boro was my only personal connection; although Mom went to UNC-G when it was a women-only school back in the dark ages. The closest I come now is to visit our house in Highlands or get back to the Raleigh-Smithfield area for a reunion. If you have an interest in bluegrass music, my cousin Russell heads up a group called the "Grass Cats" out of the Raleigh-Smithfield-Four Oaks area. :)

jimbo333 03-12-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7262863)
Here's a picture that ought to make it a bit easier to identify the rackets.

Excellent great to see these, the more photos of rackets shown on here the better as far as I'm concerned:)

I spotted the Maynard, ATPFox, Tretorn and what I thought was a Seamco/Seamless. Didn't know about the Hart, very nice!

coachrick 03-12-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 7268228)
Excellent great to see these, the more photos of rackets shown on here the better as far as I'm concerned:)

I spotted the Maynard, ATPFox, Tretorn and what I thought was a Seamco/Seamless. Didn't know about the Hart, very nice!

I have a Hart somewhere; but I also have the Seamco 'Liberator' that uses the same green color stickers on the throat.

Back to the Research Triangle connection, the last Seamco Rosewall I strung was an emergency for Steve Friedman's Pro Shop in the Shops of Carrboro(Village of Carrboro?). This would have been about '84 and the young shop fellow took in the Seamco while Steve was out of the shop. Steve came back and panicked, having never strung one of those(long before the days of comprehensive stringing digests and them internets ;) ). Steve was getting a bit upset since he couldn't call the customer(no cell phones in every pocket); BUT, I was able to string the racket from memory, even though it had been a good 7 years since my last one. Saved the day, donchaknow ;) .

Sanglier 03-12-2013 01:32 PM

How common a sight was this back in the day, Coach?

It looks like whenever one of these plastic (glass reinforced nylon?) loops went pop, the whole racquet would have had to be disassembled to replace it. That has got to be one massive nightmare for the stringer (and an excellent reason not to allow these frames anywhere near one's shop)!

I wonder whoever strung this one up got paid for his ingenuity/laziness. :) However, it's also abundantly clear now which two loops will pop next if the racquet is put to use again with even moderate vigor.

Edit: I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but I am obviously looking at the aftermath of the popping of the two top loops, rather than the product of a creative string job. My guess is that no shop would accept it, and I can't blame them!

coachrick 03-12-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanglier (Post 7268696)
How common a sight was this back in the day, Coach?

It looks like whenever one of these plastic (glass reinforced nylon?) loops went pop, the whole racquet would have had to be disassembled to replace it. That has got to be one massive nightmare for the stringer (and an excellent reason not to allow these frames anywhere near one's shop)!

I wonder whoever strung this one up got paid for his ingenuity/laziness. :) However, it's also abundantly clear now which two loops will pop next if the racquet is put to use again with even moderate vigor.

Edit: I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but I am obviously looking at the aftermath of the popping of the two top loops, rather than the product of a creative string job. My guess is that no shop would accept it, and I can't blame them!

Hey...I wouldn't put it past some stringers to try that method! I agree, it likely pulled out after the racket was properly strung. I never saw this condition...even though we had a top-6 University of South Carolina player using that frame strung with 15ga Victor Imperial.

It wouldn't have taken but about two of those for us to quit carrying and stringing the rackets ;) !

jimbo333 03-12-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7268552)
I have a Hart somewhere; but I also have the Seamco 'Liberator' that uses the same green color stickers on the throat.

Back to the Research Triangle connection, the last Seamco Rosewall I strung was an emergency for Steve Friedman's Pro Shop in the Shops of Carrboro(Village of Carrboro?). This would have been about '84 and the young shop fellow took in the Seamco while Steve was out of the shop. Steve came back and panicked, having never strung one of those(long before the days of comprehensive stringing digests and them internets ;) ). Steve was getting a bit upset since he couldn't call the customer(no cell phones in every pocket); BUT, I was able to string the racket from memory, even though it had been a good 7 years since my last one. Saved the day, donchaknow ;) .

It doesn't surprise me Coach:)

Autodidactic player 03-12-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7268552)
I have a Hart somewhere; but I also have the Seamco 'Liberator' that uses the same green color stickers on the throat...

I haven't seen a Seamco Liberator in years but as I recall that was Seamco's "ladies" model and the sticker was more of a lime-green color. I think all of the Hart/Seamless/Seamco rackets were virtually identical other than the stickers.

coachrick 03-12-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7269206)
I haven't seen a Seamco Liberator in years but as I recall that was Seamco's "ladies" model and the sticker was more of a lime-green color. I think all of the Hart/Seamless/Seamco rackets were virtually identical other than the stickers.

A bit of marketing license, I reckon. Yep, I can't find anything feminine or liberating about this model. Never saw one back when we were selling and stringing them. First one I saw was a Seamless, followed soon by the Seamco models.

NLBwell 03-12-2013 08:39 PM

Didn't Hart have a racket where you could turn a screw and change the string tension (by changing the throat)?

Autodidactic player 03-13-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7269753)
Didn't Hart have a racket where you could turn a screw and change the string tension (by changing the throat)?

Yes, but it wasn't badged "Hart." Instead it had the manufacturers name "Acro" on it. It was called "Acro - The Adjustable." Here's a picture:

If you look at the top of the grip on all the Hart/Seamless/Seamco rackets you will see the word "Acro." They manufactured all of those rackets as well.

jimbo333 03-13-2013 10:37 AM

^^^ Wow! Never seen this before:shock:

As you may know I'm a huge fan of metal rackets (design wise especially), and this one looks amazing!