Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   CB 4.3 Help? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457145)

nocturn11 03-10-2013 10:42 AM

CB 4.3 Help?

Hi all, I've been using the Courtballistec 4.3's for a while now, and while I love the cushioning and support they give, the lacing system invariably breaks (long before the outsole would, for me at least). Is there any way to strengthen the pretty flimsy lacing system, to augment it or make it stronger so that it won't break as easily as it does? It's a shame that such a good durability shoe should be crippled by such an easily-avoidable design flaw.

GS 03-10-2013 10:53 AM

If any of my 4.3 lace straps break, I'll just drill a hole next to it, and lace up from there.
But I'm used to this flimsy lacing system. Nike had it on their old Air Implosions, but I was careful not to tug too hard, and got by with that.

Fintft 03-10-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 7262756)
If any of my 4.3 lace straps break, I'll just drill a hole next to it, and lace up from there.
But I'm used to this flimsy lacing system. Nike had it on their old Air Implosions, but I was careful not to tug too hard, and got by with that.

When I broke the strap (only once), I send them back and got a free replacement from TW!

Now I just tug the laces progressively...Never broke another strap in my last 3 pairs, I wear the soles out first...

You could also sew the strap back.

Timbo's hopeless slice 03-12-2013 09:03 PM

I have drilled holes in mine where the little lace things break..

it works

stupid system, though, they break pretty easily.

nocturn11 03-23-2013 02:02 PM

Thanks. I think I'll have to do that. Now the soles are going, though; slipped four times during practice today. :???:

slim11235813 03-23-2013 03:05 PM

After a couple of matches in my pair, I noticed one of the loops beginning to fray. The solution I came up with was to coat the loop with a very light layer of super glue. It worked great, and I haven't had any more issues. Of course this fix is worthless if the loop is already broken completely, unless you could reattach the two separate pieces.

Fintft 03-26-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturn11 (Post 7297852)
Thanks. I think I'll have to do that. Now the soles are going, though; slipped four times during practice today. :???:

Man, send them back! Usually TW replaces them no fuss and even if they won't; some colors are on sale now (i.e minutes ago I've ordered Gray with a bit of peach band for $79).

tdhawks 03-26-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintft (Post 7304859)
Man, send them back! Usually TW replaces them no fuss and even if they won't; some colors are on sale now (i.e minutes ago I've ordered Gray with a bit of peach band for $79).

I just got a pair and am concerned after reading all this. I bought them from a local shop however, had a gift card there (sorry tw). If this happens to mine, should I take them back there or contact Nike?

Fintft 03-26-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdhawks (Post 7304900)
I just got a pair and am concerned after reading all this. I bought them from a local shop however, had a gift card there (sorry tw). If this happens to mine, should I take them back there or contact Nike?

Personally I would take them back to the store first.

nocturn11 03-27-2013 03:34 PM

At $79, even this kind of durability issue is massively outweighed by the price.

Gotta love the neon colors, too. :)

The Meat 03-27-2013 03:49 PM

Got a new pair of 4.3's a week ago after getting my voucher and also broke my lacing loops. Hasn't happened in any of the other 3 4.3's that I've had, but anyways I just sewed it back onto the shoe. Use Polyester thread and a few passes to secure it in place.

nocturn11 03-27-2013 03:52 PM

Good idea. I wish they'd just switch the system.

volleygirl 03-28-2013 08:31 AM

^^^^

Switch the system? And have Nike lose 5 cents of profit per shoe to actually make a shoe that you can tie without tearing them up? Come on.