Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Novak and Nadal need to watch Tsonga-Blake (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457200)

tennisaddict 03-10-2013 07:22 PM

Novak and Nadal need to watch Tsonga-Blake
 
Novak and Nadal , known for their boring baseline grinding, need to watch Blake and Tsonga to see how entertaining tennis is to be played.

Sheer athleticism, movement, powerful strokes, no moon balling , attacking gam it has everything.

beast of mallorca 03-10-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7264249)
Novak and Nadal , known for their boring baseline grinding, need to watch Blake and Tsonga to see how entertaining tennis is to be played.

Sheer athleticism, movement, powerful strokes, no moon balling , attacking gam it has everything.

How many Majors do Blake and Tsonga have again?
I forgot.............:twisted:

tennisaddict 03-10-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 7264258)
How many Majors do Blake and Tsonga have again?
I forgot.............:twisted:

You watch matches of only major winners ?

If so, watch the matches of someone who has as many majors as Nadal and Novak combined.

bluetrain4 03-10-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 7264258)
How many Majors do Blake and Tsonga have again?
I forgot.............:twisted:

Lol. I agree. Yes, Blake-Tsonga is more exciting in a way, but not necessarily more effective in terms of winning majors. If they could combine their huge hitting, keep that the focus of their game, but have the occasional spots of not going for broke and playing a little grinding defense, they'd be set.

OrangePower 03-10-2013 07:51 PM

This is a hugely entertaining match. Lots of shotmaking.

But high-level grinding wins more matches these days. Pity, but that's the way it is.

Can you imagine Mac and Becker on today's slow courts?

beast of mallorca 03-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7264268)
You watch matches of only major winners ?

If so, watch the matches of someone who has as many majors as Nadal and Novak combined.

I do watch 'em, and I enjoy both styles. That's why I pity you .....:twisted:

Murrayfan31 03-10-2013 07:56 PM

This is an insult. Djokovic considered a grinder? He is way more aggressive than Nadal.

tennisbuck 03-10-2013 08:03 PM

Does anyone have an online live stream for the Blake tsonga match?

veroniquem 03-10-2013 08:04 PM

Sure, Novak and Rafa should ask Tsonga/Blake how to improve their game so as to become #1. Oh wait...

beast of mallorca 03-10-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbuck (Post 7264346)
Does anyone have an online live stream for the Blake tsonga match?

Espn3.com
Sportlemon.tv

ledwix 03-10-2013 08:37 PM

Nadal and Djoke can both be grinders but also can both be aggressive. Nadal's aggression seems more like grinding since he elevates the grunt with an annoying squeal, but he still hits 95 mph or more on the forehand and spreads the court wide very effectively when he is confident. Overall I'd say Djokovic is aggressive more of the time, especially in their H2H matches, when Nadal makes Djokovic look like the Federer of their match-up.

Onehandedbackhand 03-10-2013 08:55 PM

You are telling me that two guys with 17 combined majors need to watch an overrated ball basher, and a mental midget, for tips on how to play the game?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

bluetrain4 03-10-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onehandedbackhand (Post 7264464)
You are telling me that two guys with 17 combined majors need to watch an overrated ball basher, and a mental midget, for tips on how to play the game?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!


I think the main point was simply that the Blake-Tsonga match was enjoyable in a way that Djokovic-Nadal matches often are not. That's all. And, the poster was excited about it, so made a post with a little hyperbole.

Nobody actually thinks Blake or Tsonga is better, or greater, or anything like that, or that Nadal and Djoker actually need advice from them It was simply a very nice change of pace from the more predictable matches that we often see (though not always) from Djoker and Nadal.

Why do fans of the players with the MOST of everything get so bent out of shape when a little attention is thrown to someone else?

beast of mallorca 03-10-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 7264488)
I think the main point was simply that the Blake-Tsonga match was enjoyable in a way that Djokovic-Nadal matches often are not. That's all. And, the poster was excited about it, so made a post with a little hyperbole.

Nobody actually thinks Blake or Tsonga is better, or greater, or anything like that, or that Nadal and Djoker actually need advice from them It was simply a very nice change of pace from the more predictable matches that we often see (though not always) from Djoker and Nadal.

Why do fans of the players with the MOST of everything get so bent out of shape when a little attention is thrown to someone else?

He threw crap, so we threw it back. Fair play, I think..........:twisted:

Talker 03-10-2013 09:28 PM

Enjoyed the match quite a bit, very entertaining.

Both gave their all and had quite a bit of everything as the OP said.

Blake was very motivated and fought till the end.

Agassifan 03-10-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 7264258)
How many Majors do Blake and Tsonga have again?
I forgot.............:twisted:

Or.... they could watch an equally belligerent federer who has as many slams as them (Nole and Rafa) combined.

Relinquis 03-10-2013 09:48 PM

Novak is the 'EX plus Alpha' version of Brad Gilbert, i.e. winning ugly. A craven retriever with a heavy forehand he can use to counter-punch 10ft behind the baseline.

Tsonga Vs. Blake today was far more entertaining than the AO final between Murray and Djokovic this year. It was pure class, with both players showing us top all court tennis. Blake won 19 points at the net, with Tsonga not far behind. So many amazing passing shots, winners and retrievals. They may have far fewer titles than Novak, but I'd rather watch them play then watch Novak play another* top pusher like Andy.

This is why Federer is such a gift to the game. He plays offensive all court tennis. Even when he was younger and had amazing defense he was still an aggressive attacking player not content to retrieve and counter attack, but rather to take control of points and hit winners.

Tsonga, Berdych and Delpo are all playing well this year. Perhaps they will save us from boredom at the upcoming slams and masters 1000 events. If Gulbis and Janowicz can keep their run going we'll have a few more shot makers and big hitters in the big tournaments and an inspiration to others. The immediate future might not be as bad as we thought. Also, Nadal has been coming to the net a lot more since his return to the tour. Great to see him develop his already amazing game.


* Novak's matches against aggressive players aren't as bad to watch due to the contrast in styles, e.g. Wawrinka Vs. Djokovic at the Aussie Open this year was quite good.

Onehandedbackhand 03-10-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beast of mallorca (Post 7264498)
He threw crap, so we threw it back. Fair play, I think..........:twisted:

I personally don't care that others are talked about.

My problem is that people here seem to speak of the very best like they are the 200th player in the world, and think that THEIR advice would make them that much for exciting or something.

Tons of exciting players around losing in the first rounds of challengers, you know.

beast of mallorca 03-10-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onehandedbackhand (Post 7264541)
I personally don't care that others are talked about.

My problem is that people here seem to speak of the very best like they are the 200th player in the world, and think that THEIR advice would make them that much for exciting or something.

Tons of exciting players around losing in the first rounds of challengers, you know.

I know. So many "pundits full of tennis wisdom" here in TW. Sad really.

Harry_Wild 03-10-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7264249)
Novak and Nadal , known for their boring baseline grinding, need to watch Blake and Tsonga to see how entertaining tennis is to be played.

Sheer athleticism, movement, powerful strokes, no moon balling , attacking gam it has everything.

Both have not even won a Master Series tournament before; so I would be ignore you rant. Tsonga best tournament win is a series 1000 in Paris. I think Indian Wells is either a 200 or 500 series tournament. Blake also is in the same league as Tsonga is right now in tournament level wins.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse