Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Replacement for a wilson K-factor six one 90. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457241)

hermtm2 03-11-2013 07:59 AM

Replacement for a wilson K-factor six one 90.

Hi, I've been playing with my Wilson K-factor six-one 90 over 2~3 years. This is my second racket after I finished the intermediate class. The reason I bought this racket was a cheap price (even thought the condition was almost brand new) in the used market and I did not know about the racket (weight, balance, or more) at all.

Ever since I got this racket, I've got many lessons and played many games. I love this racket especially for ground strokes. On the last summer I got a severe tennis elbow ( I couldn't even open a door with my right arm). While I was recovering the injury, it got me a thought to replace the racket and fix my swing form too.

My coach also recommended me to have a bigger head size and lighter one. Because of the weight (or something else) of the wilson I couldn't make a good 1st serve after 3~4 sets on a game.

Thus, I tried a Babolat pure drive plus but the racket was good for a serve but not for volleys and ground strokes. I couldn't make my original swing. Even if I swung it way I did with wilson, the power did not transfer to a ball.

I want to keep the racket balance (HL 9pts) and not too big head size.
I am considering the WILSON BLX PRO STAFF SIX.ONE 95 now.

Could you guys help me out?

Thanks,
Ryan.

corners 03-11-2013 08:29 AM

You're screwed. There is nothing that will satisfy you coming from the K90.

But, my suggestion would be too look at 98 or 100 square-inch racquets. I don't think 5 extra square inches will make that much of a difference to your game. If you're only going to make a tiny change like that you may as well stay with the K90, unless switching to a lighter weight is more important than the headsize.

Your choices will be almost unlimited if you're willing to play around with leadtape: You specified a 9HL balance and balance is the easier spec to change with leadtape. For example, the Volkl C10 Pro is 343grams / 8HL and with 325 swingweight. It is very similar in weight distribution to your K90, but has a 98 square-inch head, about 15 grams less overall weight and a lower swingweight, which means it is easier to swing. It is also legendary for its feel, which is something that many midsize users just can't seem to find in larger sticks. It is also famous for being arm-friendly. And all you'd have to do to get the balance to you liking would be to wrap 3 grams of leadtape around the bottom of the handle, under the grip. Presto.

You should take advantage of TW's demo program, taking out four sticks, and I think the C10 Pro should be one of them. (TW's playtester, Chris, switched to the C10 Pro a while ago. The C10 is about ten years old but they keep making them. Chris tests tons of racquets every year and the fact that he chose the C10 Pro over all these "modern" racquets says something, in my opinion. He also gave this racquet the highest combined score for Power and Feel ever.)

Aside from the C10 I think you should look at several other racquets that are even lighter. Coming from a heavy stick like the K90 you should give a lighter racquet a chance before deciding whether you prefer heavy or light for the long haul. (But my guess is that you will have a hard time choosing a light racquet after getting used to the rock-solid stability and plow of the K90.)

Here are some I would consider:

Boris Becker Delta Core Melbourne (98 ) - discontinued but available cheap
Donnay X Dual Gold (99)
Volkl Organix 10 325 (98 )
Yonex Vcore Tour 97 (97) - comes in a heavy version very similar to the C10 Pro and a lighter version.
Dunlop 4D 300 Tour (98 ) - discontinued but available cheap
Dunlop Biomimetic 200G (98 )
Head IG Prestige MP (95, but such a respected racquet "family" that you might want to try it)

I would also consider trying at least one racquet that has a lighter handle than you're used to. Some people find that removing an ounce of mass from the handle of a racquet makes tennis an easier game to play. The Donnay Pro One (in 16x19 and 18x20) has basically the same specs as the K90 but with about 1 ounce missing from the handle. Weight in the handle doesn't really do anything for you, in terms of power and plowthrough, but it does change the feel of the racquet and how it swings. Some people find that racquets like the Pro One make tennis easier because they can swing these racquets with less effort, especially on serve, but still have all that mass in the head for power and plowthrough. The Pro One looks really nice too.

movdqa 03-11-2013 09:45 AM

You'd probably like the KProStaff 88 but it's been out of production for a few years too. The K90 is a great frame but sometimes the Kevlar stiffness could be a pain in the arm. The KPS 88 is a bit better in that area because of the additional mass.

I'd suggest a leaded-up Prestige MP.

I used the K90 and KPS88 and now a leaded up Prestige MP.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-11-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7265440)
You'd probably like the KProStaff 88 but it's been out of production for a few years too. The K90 is a great frame but sometimes the Kevlar stiffness could be a pain in the arm. The KPS 88 is a bit better in that area because of the additional mass.

I'd suggest a leaded-up Prestige MP.

I used the K90 and KPS88 and now a leaded up Prestige MP.

Really? I've always found Kevlar/Twaron frames to be comfortable...

movdqa 03-11-2013 10:42 AM

It was mostly but every once in a while, I'd get a particular off-center hit and it would send something really nasty up my arm.

hermtm2 03-11-2013 11:26 AM

After I read you guy's heart warming comments (especially corners, thanks), I found the used Volkl C10 Pro on ****. Then, somehow I clicked the "Buy it now"... The racket will be in my hand on this Friday. lol.

I will leave feedback later.

Thanks a lot,
Ryan.

corners 03-11-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermtm2 (Post 7265695)
After I read you guy's heart warming comments (especially corners, thanks), I found the used Volkl C10 Pro on ****. Then, somehow I clicked the "Buy it now"... The racket will be in my hand on this Friday. lol.

I will leave feedback later.

Thanks a lot,
Ryan.

Ha, ha. The semi-intentional Buy It Now. Hate/Love it when that happens. Looking forward to hearing how it plays for you.

corners 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7265576)
Really? I've always found Kevlar/Twaron frames to be comfortable...

Yeah, I think the special quality of Kevlar in racquets is that the fibers are able to disburse shock along their length quite unlike graphite, fiberglass, etc. And in a braided frame like the old pro staffs, the fibers are almost 60 inches long. The C10 also has Kevlar in the layup, although it's not braided.

psukhe 03-11-2013 12:40 PM

Ryan, What string do you currently use? If you use poly or kevlar, you should switch to a syn gut or multi. That might be a quick fix if you do use these arm straining strings

Povl Carstensen 03-12-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7265440)
You'd probably like the KProStaff 88 but it's been out of production for a few years too.

But then again that is not either bigger or lighter exactly.

hermtm2 03-12-2013 09:12 AM

I used a Tecnifibre Black Code 16G (co-polyester) on my K90 so far since the black color is really nice on it (no other reasons). In this time (K90 is in the shop) Weiss CANNON Scorpion 16L will be installed. I can't remember why I bought the Weiss but I am willing to try it.

By the way can you recommend an-arm-friendly string for Volkl and K90? I haven't had a syn gut or multi yet.

BreakPoint 03-12-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermtm2 (Post 7268049)
I used a Tecnifibre Black Code 16G (co-polyester) on my K90 so far since the black color is really nice on it (no other reasons). In this time (K90 is in the shop) Weiss CANNON Scorpion 16L will be installed. I can't remember why I bought the Weiss but I am willing to try it.

By the way can you recommend an-arm-friendly string for Volkl and K90? I haven't had a syn gut or multi yet.

The polyester strings are probably the cause of your tennis elbow. Switch to a multi immediately. The K90 is actually a very comfortable racquet with soft strings in it.

hermtm2 03-12-2013 01:49 PM

Can you recommend any brand? There are tons of multis.

corners 03-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermtm2 (Post 7268724)

Coming from polys, I would try Ashaway Zyex Monogut ZX. (Not the normal Monogut). Monogut ZX is a completely new class of string. It is made of Zyex, which is less stiff than any multi on the market. It is also a monofilament, like copoly strings. And like copoly strings it is slippery and hard, which allows it to slide and snap back on impact. It is the only non-copoly string that does this, which means it will give you some of the copoly spin action, which no multi can offer because multis are made of sticky polyurethane glues. There is a pretty active thread about Monogut ZX in the string forum.

This string is flying under the radar because it's not made by one of the big brands, but it is designed for people currently using poly but who want a more comfortable and powerful string.

movdqa 03-12-2013 07:27 PM

Wilson Sensation is comfortable and lively but lasts about an hour.

anirut 03-12-2013 07:35 PM

Ryan, you should try the PS85, too ...

BreakPoint 03-12-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermtm2 (Post 7268724)

Mantis Comfort Synthetic is the most comfortable string that I know of but there are lots of soft multis out there. Even a standard mono syn gut nylon string, like OGSM, PSG, or other brands' syn gut, will be more comfortable than most poly strings.

hermtm2 03-12-2013 09:22 PM

Since the restring costs me $14 and 48 hours, I can't simply pursue arm-friendly string. Thus, the durability will be the second important factor for buying the next string.

By the way this is the first time to learn about the string. No one (or may be someone) taught me this kind of knowledge. I am looking forward to learn about the hybrid-string set up next time. Also the string pattern (16x18 or etc..)

Thanks,
Ryan.

corners 03-13-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hermtm2 (Post 7269818)
Since the restring costs me $14 and 48 hours, I can't simply pursue arm-friendly string. Thus, the durability will be the second important factor for buying the next string.

By the way this is the first time to learn about the string. No one (or may be someone) taught me this kind of knowledge. I am looking forward to learn about the hybrid-string set up next time. Also the string pattern (16x18 or etc..)

Thanks,
Ryan.

Well, if durability is a concern then Monogut ZX is your string. Much better durability than any multi. Check out the feedback at TW. One customer said it felt like Biphase but lasted four times longer. Personally, I can't stand multis. Gummy, mushy stuff that breaks in 5 minutes if you hit with spin. Overpriced to boot. I'd rather use Gosen OG Micro 18 than any multi, but that's just me. Speaking of OG, have you considered a very soft copoly, like Gosen Sidewinder (the softest on the market) with OG Micro 18 crosses. That might work for you. Or Sidewinder in a full bed.

hermtm2 03-14-2013 11:20 AM

Two bad news to me.

The first, the new string (Weiss) on my K-90 gives me a weird feeling when I do fore/back hand strokes. I don't know how exactly I can describe. It feels like the string couldn't hold the ball at the contacting moment. Thus, my stroke looks really weak. I still can control the angle though.

Second, the C-10 racket won't be in my hand in this Fri because of the lazy USPS delivery system.

I wish I could change the string by myself.