Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Marcelo Rios speaks about PEDs (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457332)

Gonzalito17 03-11-2013 05:14 PM

Marcelo Rios speaks about PEDs

Found this old quote by Marcelo Rios about PEDs in tennis. Rather interesting. Just plug in the names of the current big stars for Agassi and Sampras and it does make some sense...

"I know that if nandrolone were found on Agassi, they would not disclose it. He is a very prominent, very popular player and if he were to fall, the world of tennis would fall with him. The ATP would not say it. They are such a large dependent organization that it would be a problem if Agassi or Sampras tested positive. [We] the South Americans have discussed it repeatedly. It is a complicated subject. I do not have problem in saying it: we always said, (we asked ourselves) who publicly certifies the doping tests of Agassi or Sampras?"

"I would love to be able to see and certify Agassi's doping tests because now I currently have no idea who is doing the test, and who decides who gets it and who doesn't."

"I know that if they were to find nandrolone on Agassi, they wouldn't say it to anybody. It would taint his reputation and bring tennis down dramatically. ATP would not say it. It is such a large organization that it would be a problem if Agassi tested positive."

[Taken from the book Marcelo Rios: The Man We Barely Knew]

robow7 03-11-2013 07:01 PM

Well he was right in that according to Agassi himself the ATP looked the other way when he tested positive for his party drug.

forzamilan90 03-11-2013 07:33 PM

I dislike Rios vehemently, based on what I've read of him he's a piece of crap. When was this quote made? Any reason for plugging in Agassi and Sampras?

gavna 03-11-2013 07:58 PM

Ahhh Rios..........a classy Piece of Sh** as a pro and continues to not disappoint in his old age.

Gonzalito17 03-11-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7267058)
I dislike Rios vehemently, based on what I've read of him he's a piece of crap. When was this quote made? Any reason for plugging in Agassi and Sampras?

No, Rios said these quotes back when he was still playing, around 2000.

The original quotes included the names Agassi and Sampras. But if you exchange today's big star names instead of Agassi and Samp, the insinuation by Rios does make sense. Who knows.

Gonzalito17 03-11-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robow7 (Post 7266998)
Well he was right in that according to Agassi himself the ATP looked the other way when he tested positive for his party drug.

Good point.

slowfox 03-12-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7267058)
I dislike Rios vehemently, based on what I've read of him he's a piece of crap.

Ah, Rios... he is to tennis what Wagner was to classical music. Beautiful work but such a bad man.

Dan Lobb 03-12-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7267919)
Ah, Rios... he is to tennis what Wagner was to classical music. Beautiful work but such a bad man.

Wagner got a bad rap. He was not nearly as nasty as often made out, and had close friends who were Jewish. Did you know that he once called the Jews "the noblest race on earth"? Probably not.
Wagner's son and son-in-law were a different story.

It looks like "modern training methods" really help the current crop of tennis "stars", most of whom could not pick up the racket of Hoad or Gonzales, who were genuine athletes.

Gonzalito17 03-12-2013 11:18 AM

Haven't heard anyone call them the noblest race on earth in a long time, if ever, by anyone. Haven't heard anyone call Rios a noble sportsman either lol.

hoodjem 03-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7266680)
Found this old quote by Marcelo Rios about PEDs in tennis. Rather interesting. Just plug in the names of the current big stars for Agassi and Sampras and it does make some sense...

"I know that if nandrolone were found on Agassi, they would not disclose it. He is a very prominent, very popular player and if he were to fall, the world of tennis would fall with him. The ATP would not say it. They are such a large dependent organization that it would be a problem if Agassi or Sampras tested positive. [We] the South Americans have discussed it repeatedly. It is a complicated subject. I do not have problem in saying it: we always said, (we asked ourselves) who publicly certifies the doping tests of Agassi or Sampras?"

"I would love to be able to see and certify Agassi's doping tests because now I currently have no idea who is doing the test, and who decides who gets it and who doesn't."

"I know that if they were to find nandrolone on Agassi, they wouldn't say it to anybody. It would taint his reputation and bring tennis down dramatically. ATP would not say it. It is such a large organization that it would be a problem if Agassi tested positive."

[Taken from the book Marcelo Rios: The Man We Barely Knew]

We don't like what he's saying.!?

Let's shoot that messenger!

Dan Lobb 03-12-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7268358)
Haven't heard anyone call them the noblest race on earth in a long time, if ever, by anyone. Haven't heard anyone call Rios a noble sportsman either lol.

Do you know what Charles Darwin subtitled his "Origin of Species"?
He called it "the preservation of favoured races in the struggle of life".
Darwin believed that "superior" races would prevail.
Darwin's ideas on anthropology are no longer considered polite or acceptable. They have not withstood the test of time, but in the late 1800's they were very dominant in academic circles.

Gonzalito17 03-13-2013 04:24 AM

Wonder what conclusions Charles Darwin would surmise about Marcelo Rios? : )