Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Lefty (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457517)

dlam 03-13-2013 10:21 AM

The Lefty

The lefty is a special yet pesky player
(not referring to you specifically LeeD)
My league is all righty so playing lefty is certainly an unique experience
The major adjustment I find I have to make is the serve
If they have a good strong spinning serve I find I have to use the 2HB rather than the one hander as it tends to spin strongly to my backhand and I feel more confident with that way

Other Suggestion for playing lefty?

SystemicAnomaly 03-13-2013 10:35 AM

Shift your receiving position somewhat to the left -- on both the deuce side and the ad side. How much you need to shift will depend on the specific lefty server. On the deuce side some lefties my not be able to swing the ball out wide so you might be able to make a moderate shift to your left. OTOH some lefties can hit a topspin or twist kick serve out wide on that side.

On the ad side, you may need to shift somewhat more than you do on the deuce side. You might need at least one of your feet in the alley (or behind the alley). Be prepared to hit BH returns against a lefty server. Quite often I will go right at the returner or aim for the right side of the body. In many of these cases, the returner will try to run around the ball to hit a FH return only to find that the ball breaks into the body making the return quite awkward. I call this serve my "heat-seeking serve".

As a righty server, you can attempt to do the same thing against a lefty server -- try to jam the lefty with sidespin on their forehand side. You can also swing your serve out wide to the BH side of the left, particularly on the ad side.

luvforty 03-13-2013 11:47 AM

due to the law of symmetry - a righty is a lefty to a lefty.

that's how you play the lefty - it's really no big deal, duece court wide slice, use that on every serve.

user92626 03-13-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7270904)

that's how you play the lefty - it's really no big deal, duece court wide slice, use that on every serve.

That's just meaningless.

If a righty plays the way he plays as usual, he'll fall into the 98% of those that leftie faces.

Even a lefty finds it a bit unusual to face another lefty.

You just have to be more a little conscious and make a different shot selection.

Moz 03-13-2013 12:34 PM

The 'advantage' of the left hander is one of the most overblown things in tennis.

therecanbeonlyone 03-13-2013 12:59 PM

I am a lefty and I LOVE to play another lefty. Now, my advice for you righties playing against lefties is the same as my normal strategy against righties. You have to find a way into the crosscourt rally pattern that benefits you most. This is almost always forehand crosscourt to the lefty's backhand. Key to get into this type of rally is a down the line backhand. If you own that shot, you can control the match.

LeeD 03-13-2013 01:06 PM

It's your lack of tennis experience.
Play enough, you will face righties with heavy topspin backhands and slice forehands.
Ain't which hand they hold the racket, it's how they hit each individual shot.
Good lefties beat me, I beat bad lefties.

SystemicAnomaly 03-13-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7270904)

Not so! I've been a lefty server for 40 years and know better. I get a lot of mileage spinning the ball into the body on the FH side on the ad side. A righty can often do the same thing to a lefty on the deuce side. I would actually prefer a serve to my BH out wide on the deuce side. Now if it's an extreme short, wide serve that's another matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 7270975)
The 'advantage' of the left hander is one of the most overblown things in tennis.

It really depends what level you are talking about.