Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   glasses (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457523)

eastbayliz 03-13-2013 11:10 AM

glasses

Anyone wear prescription glasses to play? I feel like some sunglasses would be great except for a clear lens. Don't know where to start. Who wears contacts? Also anyone ever get Lasik surgery? Or considered it so you don't have
to wear glasses when playing tennis?

jrxl 03-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7270853)
Anyone wear prescription glasses to play? I feel like some sunglasses would be great except for a clear lens. Don't know where to start. Who wears contacts? Also anyone ever get Lasik surgery? Or considered it so you don't have

I had Lasek (marginally different than Lasik) about 6 years ago. It's not for everybody, but it is working great for me. If you are interested in any kind of laser surgery, do lots of homework on who you use. Make sure they have done thousands of procedures. Make sure that they own their own equipment, and that they do not sub-lease it out to anybody. Some offices are known to book a bunch of appts for a day/week, then only bring in the equipment for that time.

Check to see if a nearby university (assuming you are close to Berkeley) has an ophthalmology dept. I was able to have the senior professor of my university do my procedure for not much more cash than a private shop. Most people would agree that eyesight is worth the investment...

The only tip I would give for anyone going through with laser surgery is to follow the recovery instructions to a T. You are going to get 4-5 different types of eye drops to use for a few weeks. I thought that since I was tearing up so much naturally, I could back off on some of the lubricating drops. A visit to the ER in the middle of the night convinced me otherwise. Other than that, no issues with recovery.

As far as contrasting playing tennis with glasses and without glasses... Well, it's been 6 years now, and it is hard to even remember what wearing glasses is like. For everything.

eastbayliz 03-13-2013 10:17 PM

Hi jrxl-thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like it has paid off for you. I have been thinking about this for awhile in the very back of my head while starting to look at all the options that I have. I've been wearing my glasses for most of my life and am pretty used to it. But now getting back into playing tennis and competing seriously I have thought-wow what would it be like to not have to wear these! I am curious how long the recovery is? Sounds like you have to follow directions for sure. Was there any pain? And did you have to take time off work/sports etc at all? Thanks again it's great to hear from someone who has taken this path. My period of research is definitely is starting!

retrograde 03-14-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Anyone wear prescription glasses to play?

Yes. Also for beach volleyball, which I think is a more demanding sport for wearing glasses vis-a-vis rapid head & body movement, need for peripheral vision, etc. Almost everyone in my town wears sunglasses when playing on the beach.

MetsFanVI 03-14-2013 08:59 AM

I wear glasses every day. I've thought about contacts but the idea of sticking things in my eyes just kind of creeps me out. But I was have a real problem with my glasses staying in place when I sweat. My frames are metal and somewhat heavy so they'd start to slide down my nose.

To fix this, I bought a cheap pair of prescription glasses online. They're plastic frames/lenses and work great.

Woolybugger 03-14-2013 09:30 AM

My kids wear prescription glasses with "Transitions" lens coating which automatically adjusts its shade to the light intensity. So in bright sunlight it is heavily tinted like sunglasses but indoors it is completely clear. They also use an elastic band which goes over the frame legs and then behind the head; holds glasses securely in place. Might try that solution before resorting to lasik.

tennis ratchet 03-14-2013 10:36 AM

i wear glasses, and prescription sunglasses when its sunny... the only problem i had was fogging, which was really giving me trouble for a bit there, but then i bought some anti-fog wipes. they work great. my take on glasses is that they are occasionally a pain in the ssa, but most of the time i dont even notice them.

goober 03-14-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrxl (Post 7270945)

The only tip I would give for anyone going through with laser surgery is to follow the recovery instructions to a T. You are going to get 4-5 different types of eye drops to use for a few weeks. I thought that since I was tearing up so much naturally, I could back off on some of the lubricating drops. A visit to the ER in the middle of the night convinced me otherwise. Other than that, no issues with recovery.

That's interesting I had no eyedrops prescribed in my postop recovery for lasik. Actually it wasn't much of a recovery. Other than the first couple days where it was hard to drive at night, that was pretty much the only problem.

Boricua 03-14-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

I wear contact swith no peoblem. I have a special hard lens in my right eye (cornea condition) and in my left eye a day by day lens (disposable) called True Eyes made by Acuvue. The True Eyes is great and so is my hard lens.

jrxl 03-14-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7273075)
Hi jrxl-thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like it has paid off for you. I have been thinking about this for awhile in the very back of my head while starting to look at all the options that I have. I've been wearing my glasses for most of my life and am pretty used to it. But now getting back into playing tennis and competing seriously I have thought-wow what would it be like to not have to wear these! I am curious how long the recovery is? Sounds like you have to follow directions for sure. Was there any pain? And did you have to take time off work/sports etc at all? Thanks again it's great to hear from someone who has taken this path. My period of research is definitely is starting!

My recovery period was about 2 weeks long. No pain (except for the one time I didn't take my drops...) and even that wasn't too bad. More scary than anything. I got my procedure done on a Friday, and went back to work the next Thursday. Soccer was my main sport at the time, and I took a month off due to it's level of contact. Two months later I was up to 20/20.

jrxl 03-14-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7274124)
That's interesting I had no eyedrops prescribed in my postop recovery for lasik. Actually it wasn't much of a recovery. Other than the first couple days where it was hard to drive at night, that was pretty much the only problem.

That's a good point, recovery from lasEk is a little more involved. LasIk cuts a flap in your cornea, where LasEk scrapes the very top layer of cells off before the laser reshapes your eye. So that is probably why I had more of a recovery schedule.

db10s 03-14-2013 01:35 PM

Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ with clear prescription lenses. Like Tipsarevic. Or contacts...

eastbayliz 03-14-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolybugger (Post 7273979)
My kids wear prescription glasses with "Transitions" lens coating which automatically adjusts its shade to the light intensity. So in bright sunlight it is heavily tinted like sunglasses but indoors it is completely clear. They also use an elastic band which goes over the frame legs and then behind the head; holds glasses securely in place. Might try that solution before resorting to lasik.

My last pair of glasses had transitions lens which was pretty cool in theory I did not think they were very effective though as far how much they protected your eyes from sun. Ideally I need both clear lens and sunglasses. I have a astigmatism so I wear them all the time. I am interested in lasik-very much so. But it would be a drastic measure and a little scary to undertake.

IdrinkYourMilkshake 03-14-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7274452)
Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ with clear prescription lenses. Like Tipsarevic. Or contacts...

That's awesome, I'd love to see a picture. What do you do for sunglasses then, just a tinted version?

maverick90024 03-15-2013 07:28 PM

i have oakley prescription glasses with their HD lens that I wear all day. I play tennis with it on as well. Mostly indoors. When I play outdoors, I'll use either that or switch to contacts+sunglasses. I don't think the switching affects my game because I feel the oakley lens have no distortion.

eastbayliz 03-15-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7274452)

Do you buy the glasses from Oakley and give them your prescription? Or go to a eyeglass store and heave them order for you? Or maybe it is something they would carry?

Slitch 03-16-2013 03:20 AM

I play with my prescription glasses on. The problem is sweat. The frame is to close to my eyebrows so sometimes my vision is blurred. Sport glasses are suspended, they don't have that problem.

I recommend the adidas evil eye. Great sunglasses and you can get prescription glasses made. Those can be mounted inside the sunglasses:

stapletonj 03-17-2013 03:57 AM

I truly dont see how anyone can play with glasses.

I tried once and was whiffing the ball on serves it was so bad.

guess you get used ot it and compensate

of course, I dont even like sunglasses when I play.

mctennis 03-20-2013 06:02 PM

I use prescription racquetball glasses to play tennis. I started using them years ago and have great results using them. I hated the fact that if I used regular glasses I may either get hit in the face or get sweaty enough they slip off and break.

RogueFLIP 03-25-2013 12:41 PM

After seeing Tipsy wearing his oakelys a few years back I wound up contacting a local shop that deals with Oakley and bought a pair of Bottlecap glasses in prescription clear lens and another pair for sunglasses.

Pricey yes but a worthy investment as I use both for all my sporting activities.