Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   the push is a punch, the punch is a push! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457544)

luvforty 03-13-2013 03:25 PM

the push is a punch, the punch is a push!

finally figured out the bird itch push tonight - guy on the other side was shocked how big i hit it..

true E grip, more hammer than pistol, palm side base knuckles firmly behind bevel 3.... usual take a way... then PUNCH the forearm straight thru the ball (i.e. if there is a dry wall at the contact point, I'd punch a hole with my fist, let forearm goes thru the hole until my elbow reaches the hole).... Wegner's 'finding the ball with the hand' works well here.

on the other hand, the so called punch in popular teaching of volley does not feel like a punch at all (unless you are a girl).... it's more like a push of a tilted windshield forward.

how confusing is this stuff..... i think it's a conspiracy by the teaching pros to get people to buy more lessons.

LeeD 03-13-2013 03:30 PM

You can name it anything you want, describe it with fancy words, but it still comes down to groundstrokes and volleys.

sureshs 03-13-2013 03:54 PM

Aren't volleys supposed to be hit with conti?

luvforty 03-13-2013 04:00 PM

Conti is a rAnge. Lay the wrist back. Push the windshield forward

arche3 03-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7271412)
Conti is a rAnge. Lay the wrist back. Push the windshield forward

I think its also more confusing when you explain something.

LeeD 03-13-2013 04:22 PM

:) I hope Luvforty isn't Asian, like Dozu is........
Lots of explanations, few videos, and everything is explained more complicated than it can ever possibly be.....

tennis_balla 03-13-2013 04:25 PM

dozu, where do you buy your stash cause that is one hell of a trip.

Timbo's hopeless slice 03-13-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7271507)
dozu, where do you buy your stash cause that is one hell of a trip.

lol, you think it's really him?

it certainly could be....

tennis_balla 03-13-2013 04:35 PM

Its the human racket himself

sureshs 03-13-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7271490)
:) I hope Luvforty isn't Asian, like Dozu is........
Lots of explanations, few videos, and everything is explained more complicated than it can ever possibly be.....

I suppose you will argue that it is OK to say it because you are of Asian descent, but it isn't actually OK at all.

luvforty 03-13-2013 04:48 PM

balla what's the problem?

Cheetah 03-13-2013 05:10 PM

It's Dozu for sure.

You can't always dictate what someone should feel. Volleys don't feel like a push at all to me in fact.

arche3 03-13-2013 05:19 PM

I claim the credit for unmasking dozu!

LeeD 03-13-2013 05:24 PM

One poster we all respect to some degree, PowerPlayer, basically said as much.

luvforty 03-13-2013 05:30 PM

Arche false claim

Ash_Smith 03-14-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7271300)
finally figured out the bird itch push tonight - guy on the other side was shocked how big i hit it..

true E grip, more hammer than pistol, palm side base knuckles firmly behind bevel 3.... usual take a way... then PUNCH the forearm straight thru the ball (i.e. if there is a dry wall at the contact point, I'd punch a hole with my fist, let forearm goes thru the hole until my elbow reaches the hole).... Wegner's 'finding the ball with the hand' works well here.

on the other hand, the so called punch in popular teaching of volley does not feel like a punch at all (unless you are a girl).... it's more like a push of a tilted windshield forward.

how confusing is this stuff..... i think it's a conspiracy by the teaching pros to get people to buy more lessons.

How confusing is what you've written - very!

Hi I'm Ray 03-14-2013 04:11 AM

lol. He's probably doing all this just to troll you guys that keep responding to him.

luvforty 03-14-2013 06:36 AM

sigh... all fluff and no answer..

why is it necessary to drop the racket head below the wrist? (forget contact point for now)

arche3 03-14-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7273633)
sigh... all fluff and no answer..

why is it necessary to drop the racket head below the wrist? (forget contact point for now)

Don't be a tool. Answer it then. Its not even a question that needs to be asked.

My question for you. Why do you have to use your left foot?

WildVolley 03-14-2013 08:36 AM

If you hit your forehand flatter, other things equal, it will go faster. That's why you were hitting more pace when trying to emulate Berdych.

luvforty, you are still too hung up on terminology. Stop focusing on terms like punch or push and study some video. Copy the motions that the pros make and it will help you achieve some of their results. You'll need to use video to see that your motion is the same, because our opinion of what we are doing is often deceptive.