Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Seeking A Recruitment At A Junior College (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457549)

Overdrive 03-13-2013 04:04 PM

Seeking A Recruitment At A Junior College

Well, I had a similar post before, but it was in the "Junior" thread by accident, so I have to make another one...

I'm going to a Junior College next year, and I was "scoping out" the competition... and 11/12 Men are Freshman (Sophomores next year).. I think this is a bad sign for me. Usually, the top 7 or 8 players actually play matches, so I have to prove myself to the coach that I am worthy of actually playing and not being a 'benchwarmer'... :roll: There's only 3 foreigners. A male is from Germany, and the other two women are from South Africa and Austrailia...

Hopefully, I can attend a practice session with them later this week or during Spring Break. Oh wait, there's a match on Friday for them.. Well, I hope the coach is alright looking at me during Spring Break then.. If I don't make it, I guess I can play league tennis... however, I hate the politics, I have experienced it before and know how to deal with it..

Can I post a roster of them? I don't know If I can post these or not. If I can't I'll delete the link.
Anyways: http://tclive.templejc.edu/Sports/Tennis/Tennis.aspx

I think the male in the center with the Red Babolat is the #1 player.

Wish me luck fellow TT Members! :mrgreen:

andfor 03-13-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7271429)
Well, I had a similar post before, but it was in the "Junior" thread by accident, so I have to make another one...

I'm going to a Junior College next year, and I was "scoping out" the competition... and 11/12 Men are Freshman (Sophomores next year).. I think this is a bad sign for me. Usually, the top 7 or 8 players actually play matches, so I have to prove myself to the coach that I am worthy of actually playing and not being a 'benchwarmer'... :roll: There's only 3 foreigners. A male is from Germany, and the other two women are from South Africa and Austrailia...

Hopefully, I can attend a practice session with them later this week or during Spring Break. Oh wait, there's a match on Friday for them.. Well, I hope the coach is alright looking at me during Spring Break then.. If I don't make it, I guess I can play league tennis... however, I hate the politics, I have experienced it before and know how to deal with it..

Can I post a roster of them? I don't know If I can post these or not. If I can't I'll delete the link.
Anyways: http://tclive.templejc.edu/Sports/Tennis/Tennis.aspx

I think the male in the center with the Red Babolat is the #1 player.

Wish me luck fellow TT Members! :mrgreen:

You need to talk with the coach. Are you dead set on Temple? Ask the coach if all the players are planning to return next year? Does he have room on the team for freshman next year? How many? If he can watch you play, ask him his thoughts on your game, wjere does he see you fitting it on yhe team. Let him know what's important to you. Do you want playing time year one? Understanding where he sees you fitting in will give you an idea. Do you want to improve and play on after JC tennis? What level D1 NAIA etc. do you have a 4 yr school in mind you want to end up at? Let him know.

I know a good bit about JC tennis. If you want to know more feel free to in mail me from my profile.

Overdrive 03-14-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7271531)
You need to talk with the coach. Are you dead set on Temple? Ask the coach if all the players are planning to return next year? Does he have room on the team for freshman next year? How many? If he can watch you play, ask him his thoughts on your game, wjere does he see you fitting it on yhe team. Let him know what's important to you. Do you want playing time year one? Understanding where he sees you fitting in will give you an idea. Do you want to improve and play on after JC tennis? What level D1 NAIA etc. do you have a 4 yr school in mind you want to end up at? Let him know.

I know a good bit about JC tennis. If you want to know more feel free to in mail me from my profile.

I sent you an e-mail.

Do you think I should attend the tournament my future college team is playing? I could talk to the coach then.

LeeD 03-14-2013 03:59 PM

Well, you can sit at home and play tiddlywinks.
OR, you can email your propective coach, arrange a meeting, have a short video of yourself ready to plug in, and MAKE THE EFFORT to contact and talk to your future.

schang70 03-14-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7274771)
Well, you can sit at home and play tiddlywinks.
OR, you can email your propective coach, arrange a meeting, have a short video of yourself ready to plug in, and MAKE THE EFFORT to contact and talk to your future.

I think we gave you good advice on the last thread you posted. You gotta talk to the coach to see where you fit in if at all.

andfor 03-14-2013 04:44 PM

Go talk to the coach. He'll be happy you approached him first.

Overdrive 03-15-2013 06:06 AM

It's been around 2-3 Days and no reply so I'm going to the tournament that they are playing in.

Wish me luck guys! :)

andfor 03-15-2013 06:14 AM

That's how you do it. If you have time and can put together a resume with your tennis and academic background that would be a great to give to the coach. If you can't have it on you visit send it to him in a follow up email.

Good luck.

Overdrive 03-15-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7276662)
That's how you do it. If you have time and can put together a resume with your tennis and academic background that would be a great to give to the coach. If you can't have it on you visit send it to him in a follow up email.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have a resume with an academic and working background (volunteered for dozens of hours) so I'm not worried about that. I think I have a full ride anyways.. :)

Coach Carter 03-15-2013 07:38 AM

I emailed you as well - feel free to take a look and respond to me.

Coach Carter 03-15-2013 11:49 AM

I would have some suggestions of some schools to look up to play where you could possibly do some things in a special way, the first 7 are JUCO's. The others are D3's or NAIA's and I would suggest you take a serious look at those since you haven't been playing a heavy USTA tournament load and aren't ranked. If you are talented, you could make a dent in their roster and have a great career right off the start...you never know where it might go (of these I'd look at Sul Ross State University or Louisiana College immediately!)

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (Mississippi)
Meridian Community College (Mississippi)
Itawama Community College (Mississippi)
Oxford College of Emory University (Georgia)
Johnson County Community College (Kansas)
Seward County Community College (Kansas)
Pima Community College (Arizona)

Sul Ross State University (Alpine, TX)
Louisiana College (Pineville, LA)
Point University (West Point, GA)
University of the Ozarks (Clarksville, AR)
University of the Southwest (Hobbs, NM)
East Texas Baptist University (Marshall, TX)
Centenary University (Shreveport, LA)
Central Christian College (McPherson, KS)