Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2013 NFL Discussion: Keep It Sassy (it's a NYC SuperBowl Year) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457556)

stringertom 03-13-2013 05:13 PM

2013 NFL Discussion: Keep It Sassy (it's a NYC SuperBowl Year)

Deals breaking out everywhere, the draft next month. Who are the winners/losers???

Welker leaving NE is shocking...Harvin and Avril to the 'Hawks is impressive...Bush a Lion rounds out their offense.

Who's going to the Meadowlands???

hollywood9826 03-14-2013 04:14 AM

Welker balked at the 2 for 10 with bonuses up to 16. Amendola signed, pats had no need to up the offer to keep Welker.

All the teams with good young QBs. Or just young Cheap QBs on the rookie deals are overspending a bit on guys right now.

SEA, Indy, MIA. All have what they think is the QB going forward for a couple years on the rookie deal still. not having to pay Russel Wilson over a mill to get production that costs between 12-15 a year gives them room to pay those guys.

Thats the way this league will operate goping forward. just Imagine Now if the Lions had Stafford and Megatron as rookies making less than 5 mill. How much could they sepnd to get dudes? So there is more under the new CBA to hitting a homerun with the draft picks. Stafford and Bradford got more in garunteed money than any rookie will make total over the entire deal.

krz 03-14-2013 05:35 AM

1. Wow. The Patsies couldn't match 6mil/year for a guaranteed 100+ catch receiver?

I guess they are banking on a younger Amendola coming and doing it for years to come. Might be a genius move or a disastrous one. Or they may plan to unveil a brand new 5 TE set.

2. I really wanted my Bills to keep Levitre but, he cashed in in Tennessee. 8mil/year is way too much for a guard. Cut Fitz nice guy but, we all saw it coming. Another rebuilding year... year 1 of our 14 year rebuild :(

3. lol the Ravens, from first to worst. Time for Joe to earn that contract and carry that team because he's going to have to if they keep losing players at this rate.

4. Harvin went for a lot more than I expected for a guy with no 1000 yard/double digit TD seasons. Then again, he did have Ponder throwing to him...

5. CB market is stacked this year. Someone is going to get Nnamdi on the cheap and he's going to play lights out. All teams should boycott Mevis... I mean Revis.

tennismonkey 03-14-2013 05:44 AM

patsies - meaning belichick - wanted to de-emphasize welker anyway last season and go to more TE focused offense. amendola can give them half of welker's production and the pats will be happy.

what's fun is that welker will have a chance or two to play the pats next season and we may see a few eff you games from him. plus he could be a first down machine for peyton all season. gonna be fun to watch.

tennismonkey 03-14-2013 05:47 AM

just saw this. most receptions in an NFL season. welker has the #2 spot (along with a bunch of other positions in the top 20) behind marvin harrison. he's got a good shot with manning throwing to him.

1. Marvin Harrison (30) 143 2002 IND
2. Wes Welker (28) 123 2009 NWE
Herman Moore (26) 123 1995 DET
4. Calvin Johnson (27) 122 2012 DET
Jerry Rice+ (33) 122 1995 SFO

stringertom 03-14-2013 10:11 PM

Falcons upgrade the RB position by grabbing Steven Jackson. Will Gonzalez return for one more try at a ring? This move should help persuade Tony for another shot at The Bowl. Losing Turner, Abraham and Dunta Robinson...Not so much.

hollywood9826 03-15-2013 03:51 AM

Yea Tony said he is coming back. Goo dmaove by the Falcons. Jackson more versatile that Turner was.

volleygirl 03-15-2013 12:20 PM

13 mill a year for Mike Wallace? Wayyy too much for him. These teams never learn that these FA signings dont work out like they think most of the time.

Sincerely, Alvin Harper

krz 03-15-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7277571)
13 mill a year for Mike Wallace? Wayyy too much for him. These teams never learn that these FA signings dont work out like they think most of the time.

Sincerely, Alvin Harper

haha that was probably the biggest miscalc of this FA so far. 13 mil for a guy that runs one route.

RollTrackTake 03-15-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7277571)

Sincerely, Alvin Harper

The Steelers/Big Ben may suffer without a deep threat. Although I hear they may resign Plax.

stringertom 03-15-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7279338)
The Steelers/Big Ben may suffer without a deep threat. Although I hear they may resign Plax.

Will this be a one-day deal so he can retire as a Steeler???

He's getting up there now and is not the type to reinvent himself as a go-to possession receiver rather than the deep burner he used to be.

stringertom 03-18-2013 01:53 AM

Jets signing of David Garrard sets up training camp battle for the QB spot with The Buttfumbler but a darkhorse for the spot may wind up being Kevin Kolb in a reunion with new OC Morninwheg(sp? Sorry). If they do sign him, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts...trouble is he won't have any weapons around him. '13 is a bust for my GothamGreenies but a chance to rid us of WrecksRyan and his buffoonery.

stringertom 03-20-2013 10:04 PM

Can't make up my mind which ex-Raven has the best chance to win a second consecutive SB ring...Boldin (a steal by SF for a 6R pick) or Reed (Texans FA sign). Steelers win AFC North by default!

krz 03-21-2013 04:53 AM

Urlacher out! Rejects a one year 2mil not guaranteed ultimatum.

He says there's no hard feelings but, I bet he goes to the pack or something.

Andyroddickfan 03-21-2013 06:43 AM

Dumbest running back rule. Dumbest rule I've ever heard of. T-Rich isn't as good now. All Day not as good. Gore not as good. All these guys and more are power runners. Does the league want guys like Reggie bush? He sucks. Hey Crosby, your not allowed to use a stick. Hey lebron, you can only use one leg. What a stupid stupid rule. What happens when a guy dives for a first down? That's leading with the crown of your helmet. Also how do you define open field? This rule just makes the refs more prominent instead of less. Dumb rule.

hollywood9826 03-21-2013 06:54 AM

There is a huge lawsuit of former players suing the NFL. This is the owners way of saying you dont want to get hurt then stop using your head.

Why can an RB use his head as a weapon but a defensive guy cannont?

Why can the guy with the ball in his hands stiff arm to face mask with no repurcussions but if a defensive guy does its 5 or 15 yards?

I dont have a problem with the rule. But I also dont care about football that much.

krz 03-21-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 7292905)
There is a huge lawsuit of former players suing the NFL.

This. I don't blame the owners.

Blame the concussion lawsuit and all the broke players who were too stupid to manage their millions joining in.

Fantasy value of CJ Spiller and Reggie Bush just went way up.

Andyroddickfan 03-21-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 7292905)
There is a huge lawsuit of former players suing the NFL. This is the owners way of saying you dont want to get hurt then stop using your head.

Why can an RB use his head as a weapon but a defensive guy cannont?

Why can the guy with the ball in his hands stiff arm to face mask with no repurcussions but if a defensive guy does its 5 or 15 yards?

I dont have a problem with the rule. But I also dont care about football that much.

Seeing as you have probably never played RB I can't value that opinion to much. Rbs are taught to keep everything low, pads low, helmet low. Helmet is used for protection. These guys will get lit up if they can't protect themselves with the helmet. Also with guys like muscle hamster and mjd, they're short, all they can do is use their helmets.

stringertom 04-04-2013 07:49 AM

Bumping the thread...the draft is three weeks away. What's on your wish list for your favorite team???

volleygirl 04-04-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroddickfan (Post 7292868)
Dumbest running back rule. Dumbest rule I've ever heard of. T-Rich isn't as good now. All Day not as good. Gore not as good. All these guys and more are power runners. Does the league want guys like Reggie bush? He sucks. Hey Crosby, your not allowed to use a stick. Hey lebron, you can only use one leg. What a stupid stupid rule. What happens when a guy dives for a first down? That's leading with the crown of your helmet. Also how do you define open field? This rule just makes the refs more prominent instead of less. Dumb rule.

We disagree on other things but totally agree here. This rule makes it almost impossible to even depend on the running game.

3rd and 2 late in the game and you hand it to Peterson, he has to lower his head to move the chains and seal the victory. Instead of a 1st down its a 15 yd penalty against Peterson? CHanges the game completely.