Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What racket (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457613)

seb23 03-14-2013 09:40 AM

What racket

I currently play with a Head Pro Tour 630 and Liquidmetal Prestige MP, however I want a racket that has a litte more power, spin and a bigger sweet spot

I can generate good power and spin with these rackets however I find over a match I cant hit flat out all of the time

I also tend to hit the ball slightly above the centre of the string bed so I want a racket thats stable at the top of the string bed

Iv'e been looking at the Pure Storm Tour as it has a slightly bigger head, more open string pattern and from what ive read more power yet not quite as much as a Pure Drive or Aeropro Drive (which i think is too much). In addition to this i like the feel of the Babolat handles. Would this be a good racket? and are there any other rackets that i should consider?

LeeD 03-14-2013 10:41 AM

While it's a good racket, it's not a useful gain from what you already have.
If you want to buy the red wonder, for sure, go for it.
I used one a couple months ago, and couldn't believe how dead feeling and sluggish it was.
DEMO before you buy. I doubt it's any gain over your 630 that a new set of strings can't match.

seb23 03-14-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7274118)
While it's a good racket, it's not a useful gain from what you already have.
If you want to buy the red wonder, for sure, go for it.
I used one a couple months ago, and couldn't believe how dead feeling and sluggish it was.
DEMO before you buy. I doubt it's any gain over your 630 that a new set of strings can't match.

Thanks for replying. The main reason I was looking at that is because it has a 98sq in head compared to the 95 of the pro tour as well as a more open string pattern. The pro tour would probably be fine if i played several times a week all year round but until am able to do that I feel like i could do with a slightly less demanding stick. I think demoing would be a good idea like you said but its always useful to hear other peoples views

Tonyr1967 03-14-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seb23 (Post 7273999)
I currently play with a Head Pro Tour 630 and Liquidmetal Prestige MP, however I want a racket that has a litte more power, spin and a bigger sweet spot

I can generate good power and spin with these rackets however I find over a match I cant hit flat out all of the time

I also tend to hit the ball slightly above the centre of the string bed so I want a racket thats stable at the top of the string bed

Iv'e been looking at the Pure Storm Tour as it has a slightly bigger head, more open string pattern and from what ive read more power yet not quite as much as a Pure Drive or Aeropro Drive (which i think is too much). In addition to this i like the feel of the Babolat handles. Would this be a good racket? and are there any other rackets that i should consider?

Worth looking at the APD 2013. I've been playing the PT630 and recently made the switch. The new APD has no more power than the Prestige Pro. I was very surprised.

db10s 03-14-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyr1967 (Post 7274187)
Worth looking at the APD 2013. I've been playing the PT630 and recently made the switch. The new APD has no more power than the Prestige Pro. I was very surprised.

But one will tear up your arm.

spinovic 03-14-2013 11:52 AM

Lots of options...pretty much any other head racquet would probably be an option.

RollTrackTake 03-14-2013 12:29 PM

Check out the new TECNIFIBRE 315 Limited. 18x20 or 16x19. There's a thread here with plenty of reviews and first hand accounts of this racquet's prowess. I have never played with a PT 630 or a pro stock frame but others who have say it compares favorably.

seb23 03-14-2013 02:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think the Aeropro drive is a little too powerful. I would probably need full poly to tame it and i dont like the feel with a full bed of poly.

The technifibre 315 looks interesting although it has a very low swingweight which suggests there isn't much weight in the head. I could just add led but im not in expert on customising. Also do you know what the handle shape is like on technifibre rackets? I like the shape of wilson and babolat but hate the rectangular shape of head rackets

LeeD 03-14-2013 02:09 PM

Since a million racket suggestions might be coming, it's better to...
Look for mid 11 weight. SW around 320, flex around 64, although softer is very comfy.

RollTrackTake 03-14-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seb23 (Post 7274518)
Thanks for the replies. I think the Aeropro drive is a little too powerful. I would probably need full poly to tame it and i dont like the feel with a full bed of poly.

The technifibre 315 looks interesting although it has a very low swingweight which suggests there isn't much weight in the head. I could just add led but im not in expert on customising. Also do you know what the handle shape is like on technifibre rackets? I like the shape of wilson and babolat but hate the rectangular shape of head rackets

I've added 3 grams of lead at 10 & 2 and its working well so far. I still have not put it through all the paces though. Based on what others have said the grip is similar to that of Head racquets. I believe Tecnifibre is using head TK pallets. this thread has some really useful info.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450863

spinovic 03-14-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

If the APD is too powerful, that probably rules out the Extreme Pro 2.0 and the Instinct.

What about the new Graphene Speed Pro? Or the Radical...same head size, but a little more powerful I believe.

seb23 03-18-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinovic (Post 7274568)
If the APD is too powerful, that probably rules out the Extreme Pro 2.0 and the Instinct.

What about the new Graphene Speed Pro? Or the Radical...same head size, but a little more powerful I believe.

I've looked at that and it looks interesting but I think I want to go for a more open string pattern as I want a bit more easy access to spin. 100sq in would probably be the ideal head size although I want a racket that is solid in the upper portion of the head as I have a tendency to hit there although I'm trying to change that and hit the ball in the centre of the strings. Iv'e got used to flexy rackets and although I wouldn't mind getting a racket a bit stiffer but I don't want to go too far in that direction.

I may look at trying the graphene speed mp although ideally i'd like a racket that i could pick up relatively cheaply on second hand

sunof tennis 03-18-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seb23 (Post 7273999)

Might want to try the IGPrestige Pro. The Pro, with an open string pattern has a little more pop the Prestige MP.

seb23 03-18-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunof tennis (Post 7287019)
Might want to try the IGPrestige Pro. The Pro, with an open string pattern has a little more pop the Prestige MP.

I've always wanted a prestige pro but i've come to realise that I need to forget my ego and get a slightly less demanding stick. The main reason is that i don't get to play enough and when i'm getting back into it I would be much better off if i were using a racket with a slightly larger head which had a bit more power and spin. If I manage to play several months in a row for 2-3 times a week (something ive not been able to do before) then I may go back to playing matches with the pro tour and prestiges but right now while the weather is really poor (I live in the uk) I don't get the chance to play all the time. I've recently moved though so I hope to join a really good club over the summer and hopefully then I will be able to play more

I've been looking at the tennis warehouse university power zone comparison and the graphene speed mp, biomimetric 3.0 and pure storm team all look like the could be what im looking for. The team would probably need some led

cjmower 03-20-2013 07:56 AM

Try the new Blade 98 with the 16X19 pattern. Little less power than the Pure Drive and Aeropro but with more control. I am a big fan of that racquet and it seems to fall close to what you are looking for.

seb23 03-22-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmower (Post 7290538)
Try the new Blade 98 with the 16X19 pattern. Little less power than the Pure Drive and Aeropro but with more control. I am a big fan of that racquet and it seems to fall close to what you are looking for.

Had a look at that in the shop and the head looks no bigger than the prestige. Is it a true 98sq inch head or 95 like the prestige or radical?

Power Player 03-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

It is a head pallet so you would be fine. If you like the 630 but want to go lighter, it is ideal. Just needs a little lead in the head but those of us who have one will post our mods and you can just copy those. It is a 95 head size though.

The blade is a true 98. I have both. You should definitley demo a blade.

I also have pure storm team and id put that on the demo list. It has less power than the blade, but it is not low powered. It has more than the pt630. It will require some mods, but honestly, they are not very tough or advanced. It is a tough decision for me having all these similar and awesome sticks, but the blade got a little stiff for me so i had to look for softer options.

seb23 03-22-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7295899)
It is a head pallet so you would be fine. If you like the 630 but want to go lighter, it is ideal. Just needs a little lead in the head but those of us who have one will post our mods and you can just copy those. It is a 95 head size though.

The blade is a true 98. I have both. You should definitley demo a blade.

I also have pure storm team and id put that on the demo list. It has less power than the blade, but it is not low powered. It has more than the pt630. It will require some mods, but honestly, they are not very tough or advanced. It is a tough decision for me having all these similar and awesome sticks, but the blade got a little stiff for me so i had to look for softer options.

Thats the thing, I hate the Head pallets. I've modified all the pallets on my head rackets which was a pain in the a** to do and costs money. I think 95 is a bit too small but 100 would be perfect although 98 would still be ok. Are blades more powerful than radicals? I have a flexpoint radical and the specs of the blade 16x19 appear to be similar

Also I know this may be hard to answer if they have different specs but between the pure storm teams and blades which has a bigger sweet spot, more power and better spin potential

Power Player 03-22-2013 03:41 PM

Blade more power, team bigger sweet spot, both are about equal in spin.

cjmower 03-22-2013 06:13 PM

To answer your question about the Radical vs. the Blades, I think the Blade, specifically the 16X19 is more powerful than any radical I have played with. The Radical Pro is supposed to be powerful but I had trouble swinging that one for some reason and the Radical Midplus I had a tough time hitting with any power due to the closed string pattern. The Blade is easy access to power. And it definitely is a true 98 like the person above me said. Give the Blade a try. Good luck!