Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Guesses on this really odd shoulder situation (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457624)

topsltennis 03-14-2013 10:43 AM

Guesses on this really odd shoulder situation

While I have had numerous bouts with elbow and some wrist issues over the past few years, I have never had a shoulder problem. Two nights ago I was playing some points with another pro, hit a serve to hit ad court, and felt a pain shoot through my shoulder. I didn't feel much of anything after that and continued to hit another 30 m or so and forgot about it. I went home, had dinner, watched tv, nothing. In the middle of the night I woke up in HORRIBLE pain, could not really move my arm without picking it up and could not get back to sleep. Next day at my daytime office job, I walked around with my arm against my side, feeling constant pain. I took a couple of doses of anti inflammatories, and then went to my tennis complex to do my evening lessons, which I obviously could barely do, one of the lessons was with a little kid, so no big deal, the other was more of a 'hitting' lesson, I basically could barely hit a ball, just chipped back fh's with a continental grip and couldn't really hit a bh at all.

Well, I wake up this morning and am basically pain free. I can swing my arm around, no pain. Only if I get it at a certain angle can I feel much pain... and that would be lifting arm up over head and sorta reaching across my body...

I have a couple of moderate lessons scheduled today so I guess I will see what happens. I can't imagine how it hurt so badly yesterday and today I feel basically nothing. Any ideas?

v-verb 03-14-2013 10:52 AM

Go see your Dr - something isn't right.

LeeD 03-14-2013 10:57 AM

Probably you displaced a muscle or tendon/ligament, which impinged on a nerve.
After a full rest period, everything went back to normal.
It's happenned to me many times.

topsltennis 03-14-2013 12:24 PM

LeeD- IF I the pain comes back upon hitting today, do you still think that's still the case or perhaps something else? I was convinced I had at least a partial tear given what went on yesterday.

v-verb 03-14-2013 01:13 PM

So is LeeD a Doctor? If it still hurts, go see one.

LeeD 03-14-2013 01:32 PM

LeeD certainly no doctor, but lived 64 years already. There is wisdom, sometimes, in elders.
Playing the next day at the same intensity level is not smart. Play easy, relax, and count it as a recovery day. Listen to your body. It won't listen to you, but one of you have to take the higher road.

v-verb 03-14-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7274446)
LeeD certainly no doctor, but lived 64 years already. There is wisdom, sometimes, in elders.
Playing the next day at the same intensity level is not smart. Play easy, relax, and count it as a recovery day. Listen to your body. It won't listen to you, but one of you have to take the higher road.

LeeD

I give you that absolutely - elders are generally wise.

I don't take my own advice as I wrecked my shoulder falling off a ski lift (not a long fall) but rest and working out fixed it - took over a year though.

LeeD 03-14-2013 02:52 PM

Most times, a partial shoulder separation can take as long as a year to get back nearly "100%".
And when you get older, that shoulder never get's back to "100%" because it's aging while it's healing, and we are aging along with it.

topsltennis 03-14-2013 05:35 PM

Taught a clinic tonight and a private that was basically just feeding and hitting a few volleys, then I had a light, 30 m hit with a moderate player. I hit basically pain free and hit my regular topspin strokes off both sides. I felt a sharp pain maybe once while hitting when my arm was at a certain angle and then same thing when reaching across my body, just sitting here at my apt. I'm definitley thinking it's some sort of nerve issue at this point.

LeeD 03-14-2013 05:42 PM

Impingement, sounds like. Just a few twingings a few days later, and then diminishing over the course of a week, but still, once in a while, that feeling it might twinge again.

topsltennis 03-14-2013 07:54 PM

ok, the only new development tonight is as i sit here drinking my wine, as i take the glass from in front of me, and set it next to the side table by my chair, the shoulder is making a popping sound everytime.... a little concerning, not really painful, just slightly uncomfortable

charliefedererer 03-15-2013 07:46 AM

Is your shoulder important to you?

I thought so.

YOUR shoulder is vital for your tennis teaching.

You con't want to screw it up pretending there is not a problem - go get evaluated by a sports medicine doctor with a special interest in shoulder problems in athletes.
(There likely is someone in your area that takes care of many of the pitches, quarterbacks and tennis players.)

charliefedererer 03-15-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topsltennis (Post 7275801)
ok, the only new development tonight is as i sit here drinking my wine, as i take the glass from in front of me, and set it next to the side table by my chair, the shoulder is making a popping sound everytime.... a little concerning, not really painful, just slightly uncomfortable

From an orthopod's web site:

"Most of the time the clicking or snapping is due to everyday use and changes that occur naturally within our joints. As we age this causes some of the surfaces to roughen —thus when they rub against one another they will snap click or pop within the shoulder. In the vast majority of circumstances snapping or clicking within the shoulder is not an issue to worry about, nor is it a problem you need to worry about. There are many different tissues in our shoulder that can click or pop as they roll on one another. Painless clicking and popping usually does not require any treatment at all.
Clicking or popping in shoulder may also start immediately, or soon after an injury. That does not necessarily mean that you have sustained a “significant” injury. It usually means that the tissues inside the shoulder are swollen or inflamed from the injury, and they are clicking or catching and popping as they move against the other structures in the shoulder.
There are a few times when popping or snapping in particular (not clicking) could signify a problem. If your shoulder was injured and is now sliding in and out of place (instability), it may snap or pop. If the rotator cuff was injured or torn, or if the labrum of the shoulder was torn (see the shoulder anatomy video) your shoulder may also snap or pop.
- http://www.howardluksmd.com/shoulder...-clicking-why/

Don't risk extending a more "minor" injury from extending.

Go get checked out.

topsltennis 03-16-2013 08:48 PM

played yesterday at about 75% and today and pretty much full speed, but not hitting serves as hard as usual... hit one to the ad ct. to the backhand corner which is the serve I felt the initial pain on and felt a little pain, but that was about it, otherwise, completely pain free..........the popping in the shoulder is still there, but is less noticeable, not as deep sounding or as loud......... my wife, who works in a physical therapy office is going to talk further with some of the therapists to get their take... I'm very optimistic that this was something that has corrected itself; however, I'm planning on still being cautious on serving and overheads in particular

CaptinStiff 03-22-2013 11:21 PM

Your likely having shoulder instability issue and your starting to injure your rotators cuff muscles. Shoulder injures are complex and difficult to self diagnose, so it could really be caused by a lot of different issues (muscle imbalances, posture, equipment).

My simple advice would be to start working on shoulder mobility exercises (google and youtube some routines). You need to test/improve your range of motion first before you can do any serious strengthening of the shoulder. If you experience any sort of pain during the exercises, stop, and make an appointment with a good sports therapist.