Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Nadal interview after indian wells win over fed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457686)

Nitish 03-15-2013 01:57 AM

Nadal interview after indian wells win over fed
 
Excerpts from the interview

Not for the first time, Nadal called Federer the greatest player of all time when speaking to the crowd. In the news conference, he was challenged on this, because the stats say that he has now beaten the man he calls the greatest 19 times out of 29.

“That’s just a fact, a positive fact for me,” he said with smile. “But it doesn’t change that he has much more tournament victories than me. He has more Grand Slams than me. In Masters 1000 series, we are close.”
In fact, they have won the same number of Masters titles on the ATP tour.

“Same? Then more than close,” Nadal said with a laugh when he was told. “So that means his career of today is better than mine, and that’s the real thing. And if I think I am better than him because I beat him, I think, 19 against 10, I will be very stupid and very arrogant. I think this is not the case.”


http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...n-Wells-031413

Do you really think nadal considers federer to be greatest ever?
he seems genuine

Big_Dangerous 03-15-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitish (Post 7276329)
Excerpts from the interview

Not for the first time, Nadal called Federer the greatest player of all time when speaking to the crowd. In the news conference, he was challenged on this, because the stats say that he has now beaten the man he calls the greatest 19 times out of 29.

“That’s just a fact, a positive fact for me,” he said with smile. “But it doesn’t change that he has much more tournament victories than me. He has more Grand Slams than me. In Masters 1000 series, we are close.”
In fact, they have won the same number of Masters titles on the ATP tour.

“Same? Then more than close,” Nadal said with a laugh when he was told. “So that means his career of today is better than mine, and that’s the real thing. And if I think I am better than him because I beat him, I think, 19 against 10, I will be very stupid and very arrogant. I think this is not the case.”



http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/n...315-2g5k4.html

Do you really think nadal considers federer to be greatest ever?
he seems like he means it.

There's an argument you can make for either guy as best player of all time.

For Fed, he has the slams, and all the other records, but his greatest rivals owns him.

For Nadal, he doesn't have as many slams as Fed or as many weeks @ #1, but he has the head to head, the grand slam head to head, and the head to head on hard courts.

Rogael Naderer 03-15-2013 02:05 AM

Is this a match result?

forzamilan90 03-15-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 7276334)
There's an argument you can make for either guy as best player of all time.

For Fed, he has the slams, and all the other records, but his greatest rivals owns him.

For Nadal, he doesn't have as many slams as Fed or as many weeks @ #1, but he has the head to head, the grand slam head to head, and the head to head on hard courts.

It irks me that you say greatest rivals own him...there's Nadal...and then who else exactly that is a major hurdle and has been throughtout his careee on a macro scale?

Jeffrey573639 03-15-2013 03:06 AM

Whilst it sometimes urks me that Nadal keeps saying Fed is the greatest, win or lose, I think he genuinely believes that Fed is indeed the GOAT or at the very least a greater player than he is. Nevertheless, great bolded quote from Rafa- this way in further GOAT discussion threads, if anyone mentions the H2H, we can just copy that one line.

Relinquis 03-15-2013 03:40 AM

Spoilers

10Spoilers...

Nitish 03-15-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7276416)
Spoilers

10Spoilers...

sorry wrong forum can i delete the thread

Bobby Jr 03-15-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 7276334)
There's an argument you can make for either guy as best player of all time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

After all the threads, discussions, points, counter-points and reasoning the only thing that is for sure is that only an argument driven by a special combination of low IQ reasoning combined with partisan myopia would result in the conclusion that Nadal is the greater player of the two.

tennis_balla 03-15-2013 04:50 AM

WHAT!?!? This is complete BS! Nadal has no idea what he is talking about. He should read TTW threads more often and listen to the basement experts here. They know exactly whats up, because seeing an ATP event once 15 years ago and watching Youtube tennis videos gives one perfect perspective on the world of professional tennis.

zagor 03-15-2013 04:56 AM

That's not very nice from Nadal, calling a number of Nadal and Sampras fans stupid :)

That said, these constant GOAT debates on TW are getting annoying, if you have to compare them (to each other or past tennis greats) wait until they both hang up their racquet.

heninfan99 03-15-2013 05:12 AM

I think he's sincere. I love how classy these two are towards each other. I'm also very impressed with his English skills.

Flash O'Groove 03-15-2013 05:14 AM

It is so humble from Rafa to call the player he owns the most the GOAT!

sureshs 03-15-2013 05:17 AM

Nadal has no respect for Federer and that is why he wins. Same for Berdych and Djokovic. And certainly not the case for Stan.

citybert 03-15-2013 05:40 AM

Always baffled on why a guy with a 600k watch is called humble.

He is definitely not a jerk but humble maybe more of the personoa that he has.

DropShotArtist 03-15-2013 05:54 AM

The problem isn't that Nadal owns the H2H. If Nadal is the better player and simply beats him more, then that's just how it is. The problem is that Federer in fact is the better player. He should be ahead of Nadal in H2H, but when he plays against him, he just folds. He gets a weak scared look on his face. That's the problem folks.

*Not counting yesterday, since he clearly had back problems.*

Relinquis 03-15-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citybert (Post 7276561)
Always baffled on why a guy with a 600k watch is called humble.

He is definitely not a jerk but humble maybe more of the personoa that he has.

he's paid to wear that... the same way he is paid to wear the clothes he does on court and is paid to use the racquet he uses...

how is that relevant to being, or not being, humble?

Fiji 03-15-2013 06:12 AM

Roger is the GOAT.

spinovic 03-15-2013 07:51 AM

Rafa needs to close the gap in total slams, and win some more off of clay, IMO, to strengthen his argument.

As of now, H2H isn't enough to offset Federer's career as a whole. But, with the H2H, if he can close the gap and win another Wimbledon or Hard court slam or two, he's got a great argument.

Mike Sams 03-15-2013 08:03 AM

Nadal's spent more weeks at #2 than he has at #1. Can't be the goat if you've spent most of your career being second best in the rankings.

Mike Sams 03-15-2013 08:11 AM

Nadal's merits over Federer are: 19-10 h2h, many more clay Slams and Masters titles.

Federer's merits over Nadal are: many more weeks at #1, many more hardcourt Slams and Masters titles, many more Grass Slam titles.

What hurts Nadal in the argument specifically is just how long he's spent his career being second best in the rankings.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse