Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Top 10 Biggest Pet Peeves At A Tournament (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457716)

Overdrive 03-15-2013 07:12 AM

Top 10 Biggest Pet Peeves At A Tournament
 
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this. Anyways, I wanted to ask y'all what are the things that irritate you the most that going at a tournament? :)

1. Losing matches against players that I shouldn't be losing to because of not being mentally tough enough (I'm still training to get over this).
2. Cheaters and/or playes who call obviously in balls out.
3. Players with cheap Walmart/Sporting Goods racquets.
4. Players wearing anything but proper tennis shoes (I've actually seen someone wear Jordans to a tournament once).
5. Playing in slow matches.
6. Any girl's doubles matches that aren't at least '9.0'. Honestly, most of these matches are boring because most of the matches I would see at tournaments are very slow and both teams literally 'junkballing' an entire match.
7. Inconsistent grunters
8. Rallying with players who can't hit the ball but can during an actual match.. :confused:
9. (This should be higher) Seeing people cheering for another player's errors. Usually, these people are youngsters or individauls who don't know much about courtesy in tennis.
10. Going to tournaments where there is no cover from the sun when it's bright (to stay cool for a match instead of staying in the heat to prevent overheating and such). I would bring a sleeping bag/cover combo to nullify this.

USS Tang 03-15-2013 07:43 AM

(1) Crumby scheduling of matches by an inexperienced tournament director.
(2) Night-time matches only, so that club members can use the indoor courts during the day

Overdrive 03-15-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Tang (Post 7276865)
(1) Crumby scheduling of matches by an inexperienced tournament director.
(2) Night-time matches only, so that club members can use the indoor courts during the day

I never had this done to me before. I have seen matches at night, but I never thought that..

OrangePower 03-15-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this. Anyways, I wanted to ask y'all what are the things that irritate you the most that going at a tournament? :)

1. Losing matches against players that I shouldn't be losing to because of not being mentally tough enough (I'm still training to get over this).
2. Cheaters and/or playes who call obviously in balls out.
3. Players with cheap Walmart/Sporting Goods racquets.
4. Players wearing anything but proper tennis shoes (I've actually seen someone wear Jordans to a tournament once).
5. Playing in slow matches.
6. Any girl's doubles matches that aren't at last '9.0'. Honestly, most of these matches are boring because most of the matches I would see at tournaments are very slow and both teams literally 'junkballing' an entire match.
7. Inconsistent grunters
8. Rallying with players who can't hit the ball but can during an actual match.. :confused:
9. (This should be higher) Seeing people cheering for another player's errors. Usually, these people are youngsters or individauls who don't know much about courtesy in tennis.
10. Going to tournaments where there is no cover from the sun when it's bright ( I would bring a sleeping bag/cover combo to nullify this).

With that attitude, one wonders why you bother playing tournaments at all :-?

Overdrive 03-15-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7277188)
With that attitude, one wonders why you bother playing tournaments at all :-?

To win of course and gain knowledge from other players. It doesn't hurt to meet people and begin some relationships with coaches and players.

I'm not whining about this (and I'm not necessarily irritated), it's just something that is just an annoyance for me.

I don't understand why you say that because I know there are some things at tournaments that are a pet peeve to you.

goober 03-15-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this. Anyways, I wanted to ask y'all what are the things that irritate you the most that going at a tournament? :)

1. Losing matches against players that I shouldn't be losing to because of not being mentally tough enough (I'm still training to get over this).
2. Cheaters and/or playes who call obviously in balls out.
3. Players with cheap Walmart/Sporting Goods racquets.
4. Players wearing anything but proper tennis shoes (I've actually seen someone wear Jordans to a tournament once).
5. Playing in slow matches.
6. Any girl's doubles matches that aren't at least '9.0'. Honestly, most of these matches are boring because most of the matches I would see at tournaments are very slow and both teams literally 'junkballing' an entire match.
7. Inconsistent grunters
8. Rallying with players who can't hit the ball but can during an actual match.. :confused:
9. (This should be higher) Seeing people cheering for another player's errors. Usually, these people are youngsters or individauls who don't know much about courtesy in tennis.
10. Going to tournaments where there is no cover from the sun when it's bright (to stay cool for a match instead of staying in the heat to prevent overheating and such). I would bring a sleeping bag/cover combo to nullify this.

3. Why would you care what they play with? Do you get bothered if someone beats you with a Walmart racquet or is their gear not good enough to be on the courts ?
4. Why would care what they wear. Unless they are marking up the courts with their shoes, I hardly ever notice.
6. What are you doing watching mixed doubles matches? I never watch other matches unless I am scouting an opponent or occasionally I will watch an Open level match to see good tennis. I don't the problem with having low level matches going on around me. It is not like you are being forced to watch them.

8. lol- favorite ploy of some players. Don't give anything away in the warmup.

Power Player 03-15-2013 10:19 AM

1. Players who don't bring overgrips to the tournament, then whine and complain when given one for free because it was not leather.

IA-SteveB 03-15-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7277253)
1. Players who don't bring overgrips to the tournament, then whine and complain when given one for free because it was not leather.

I see what you did there. Nice one. :)

As far as the list goes, I don't have any to add. Everyone plays and dresses with their own style. We can't all be cookie cutter players with a rules manual in one pocket and "The Code" in the other.

OrangePower 03-15-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7277205)
To win of course and gain knowledge from other players. It doesn't hurt to meet people and begin some relationships with coaches and players.

I'm not whining about this (and I'm not necessarily irritated), it's just something that is just an annoyance for me.

I don't understand why you say that because I know there are some things at tournaments that are a pet peeve to you.

There is nothing at tournaments that are pet peeves for me, since I don't play tournaments :-)

If I did, my peeve would be having to potentially play 4 matches in one weekend. Which I cannot do. Which is why I don't play tournaments. See how it goes?

It does seem that you're whining. I don't see threads from you about for example "top 10 things I enjoy most about tournaments".

Tennis is supposed to be fun, not an annoyance.

tenniscasey 03-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7277253)
1. Players who don't bring overgrips to the tournament, then whine and complain when given one for free because it was not leather.

You win the thread.

struggle 03-15-2013 11:23 AM

well played. ^^^

the cake has been taken.

SpitFire 03-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
2. Cheaters and/or playes who call obviously in balls out.

Turn this to your advantage. Threaten (and follow through) to get a line-judge on court. It puts them at a mental disadvantage. Spin it like this..."I don't feel like we're getting good calls here, if there's another call that's you or I don't feel is quite right, I'm getting a line-judge. This is for your benefit and mine, so we don't feel cheated and we know whoever wins, wins legitimately".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
3. Players with cheap Walmart/Sporting Goods racquets.

That's not cool yo...Come to my hood, and I'll beat ya 6-0; 6-0 with my daughter's $20 dollah Dora the Explora racquet. Seriously though...not cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
4. Players wearing anything but proper tennis shoes (I've actually seen someone wear Jordans to a tournament once).

Not everyone can afford "proper" attire. get over it. Judge a player by their play, not their gear. Actions speak louder than gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
5. Playing in slow matches.

To some, it's a legitimate play style. Not one that I like persay, but one you need to know how to play against. The FYB site has a vid on how to play against this type of play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
6. Any girl's doubles matches that aren't at least '9.0'. Honestly, most of these matches are boring because most of the matches I would see at tournaments are very slow and both teams literally 'junkballing' an entire match.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
7. Inconsistent grunters

Okay, I'll agree with you on that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
8. Rallying with players who can't hit the ball but can during an actual match.. :confused:

I'm often one of these players, I don't really have an "off" button...I mean, I can't really tune it down. Instinct kicks in and I hit it away from my opponent. Sorry. :oops:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
9. (This should be higher) Seeing people cheering for another player's errors. Usually, these people are youngsters or individauls who don't know much about courtesy in tennis.

Agreed. Whole-heartedly. When spectators do this to me, it really makes my blood boil. :evil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
10. Going to tournaments where there is no cover from the sun when it's bright (to stay cool for a match instead of staying in the heat to prevent overheating and such). I would bring a sleeping bag/cover combo to nullify this.

I have a mobile recovery chamber that I bring with me to tournaments. It's climate controlled and has a built in recliner, shade, and is very private. It's called my car. :)

mikeler 03-15-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7277253)
1. Players who don't bring overgrips to the tournament, then whine and complain when given one for free because it was not leather.

I played a guy in a league match once where the home player pays for court time and balls while the visitor is responsible for showing up at the home court. This particular court was over a half hour away from me. The guys says "You got balls?". Not a big deal. I ask him "What court are we on?". He says that he did not reserve one. So we wait a few minutes and one opens up. Then after the first set we get moved to another court. I heard later he was complaining about me not setting up a court time in advance. Sore loser.

TennisDawg 03-15-2013 12:00 PM

All those factors listed go with playing tournaments. I could respond to each one but it all boils down to being "tournament tough". Either you accept that's what it is or else just play Sunday afternoon doubles, hitting and giggling. I haven't played tournaments in quite sometime but when I did I realized that's what you deal with in competition. You also have the wind at times and the sun, heat, poor courts, bad low hanging nets, poor lighting, stupid spectators, you name it. It's like that in other sports too!

texacali 03-15-2013 01:11 PM

Sort of an elitist rant or attempt at humor? The racket a person brings to the court or shoes they wear may not be dictated completely by choice but by income (we can't all afford top of the line Babolat or Nikes etc.). Maybe next all tournaments have to be played at a private club? Maybe if we focused on the play instead of what the player is wearing we may win some of those matches Some of those bullets are a bit insulting.

bluetrain4 03-15-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7276795)
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this. Anyways, I wanted to ask y'all what are the things that irritate you the most that going at a tournament? :)

1. Losing matches against players that I shouldn't be losing to because of not being mentally tough enough (I'm still training to get over this).
2. Cheaters and/or playes who call obviously in balls out.
3. Players with cheap Walmart/Sporting Goods racquets.
4. Players wearing anything but proper tennis shoes (I've actually seen someone wear Jordans to a tournament once).
5. Playing in slow matches.
6. Any girl's doubles matches that aren't at least '9.0'. Honestly, most of these matches are boring because most of the matches I would see at tournaments are very slow and both teams literally 'junkballing' an entire match.
7. Inconsistent grunters
8. Rallying with players who can't hit the ball but can during an actual match.. :confused:
9. (This should be higher) Seeing people cheering for another player's errors. Usually, these people are youngsters or individauls who don't know much about courtesy in tennis.
10. Going to tournaments where there is no cover from the sun when it's bright (to stay cool for a match instead of staying in the heat to prevent overheating and such). I would bring a sleeping bag/cover combo to nullify this.

Why do the cheap racquets bother you? I mean, I get that you may not want to use them (nor would I), but what difference does it make if anyone else does?

Overdrive 03-15-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7277253)
1. Players who don't bring overgrips to the tournament, then whine and complain when given one for free because it was not leather.

I'm not surprised someone tried to be 'cool' and post something non-related to this.


Hey genius, replacement grips aren't overgrips.

Overdrive 03-15-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7277223)
3. Why would you care what they play with? Do you get bothered if someone beats you with a Walmart racquet or is their gear not good enough to be on the courts ?
4. Why would care what they wear. Unless they are marking up the courts with their shoes, I hardly ever notice.
6. What are you doing watching mixed doubles matches? I never watch other matches unless I am scouting an opponent or occasionally I will watch an Open level match to see good tennis. I don't the problem with having low level matches going on around me. It is not like you are being forced to watch them.

8. lol- favorite ploy of some players. Don't give anything away in the warmup.

4.I don't care about what they wear, it's just saying that I can't get decent attire.
6. Girls Doubles*. I know someone who plays doubles and she and her partner are always put in the draw against players who aren't very good. I know I'm not being forced to watch them, but it is pretty painful to watch. That's why I stopped watching.
8. Yes, I've played against decent players who do this and they end up losing because they were 'jamming' around...

Overdrive 03-15-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 7277280)
I see what you did there. Nice one. :)

As far as the list goes, I don't have any to add. Everyone plays and dresses with their own style. We can't all be cookie cutter players with a rules manual in one pocket and "The Code" in the other.

That's a 'Get out of Jail Free Card' statement right there.

I'm not anal about the code or the rules manual as others, but I am aware on what is right and wrong when playing.

Overdrive 03-15-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpitFire (Post 7277471)
Turn this to your advantage. Threaten (and follow through) to get a line-judge on court. It puts them at a mental disadvantage. Spin it like this..."I don't feel like we're getting good calls here, if there's another call that's you or I don't feel is quite right, I'm getting a line-judge. This is for your benefit and mine, so we don't feel cheated and we know whoever wins, wins legitimately".


That's not cool yo...Come to my hood, and I'll beat ya 6-0; 6-0 with my daughter's $20 dollah Dora the Explora racquet. Seriously though...not cool.


Not everyone can afford "proper" attire. get over it. Judge a player by their play, not their gear. Actions speak louder than gear.


To some, it's a legitimate play style. Not one that I like persay, but one you need to know how to play against. The FYB site has a vid on how to play against this type of play.


Don't like it? Don't watch it.


Okay, I'll agree with you on that one.


I'm often one of these players, I don't really have an "off" button...I mean, I can't really tune it down. Instinct kicks in and I hit it away from my opponent. Sorry. :oops:

Agreed. Whole-heartedly. When spectators do this to me, it really makes my blood boil. :evil:



I have a mobile recovery chamber that I bring with me to tournaments. It's climate controlled and has a built in recliner, shade, and is very private. It's called my car. :)

Dissecting my statements eh? Fine, two can play that game.

1. Um.. what are you talking about? Everyone I know who once started tennis played with cheap racquets. I was one of them. When I became better, I conducted my expedition to find the racquet that best suited for me. However, seeing good players with cheap racquets is just asinine. Bottom line.
2. I'm not judging by their gear. And the people who wear these usually lose when I would watch them play due to it's incompatibility on a tennis court..
3. Yeah, I'm practicing against these types of players.
4. I stopped watching them.. except the ones by friend plays. I told her about this and she hates slow matches too.
5. It'll be humorous when you lose a match by default for not arriving to the front to begin your match while you 'relax' in the car.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse