Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best Natural Gut String? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457792)

ishiun 03-15-2013 05:40 PM

Best Natural Gut String?
 
Which is your favorite? And what string do you hybrid it with if you do.

GlenK 03-16-2013 02:55 AM

I use Wilson NG 17. Used VS until the new coating came out. Did not like the feel of it at all.

Lavs 03-16-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 7279525)
I use Wilson NG 17. Used VS until the new coating came out. Did not like the feel of it at all.

+1
It is better to stock up as far as Babolat produces ones for Wilson with old formula.. I am pretty sure it won't last long :(

finalfantasy7 03-16-2013 05:48 AM

performaxx whispertouch 17 - this had better control than others, (slightly stiffer) which i liked as imo- as im a flat hitter,
it felt better than original babolat gut(not the new one - never tried that) - the original babolat had too much power for me- it seemed it played better if you had a topspin shots which i dont have.

wilson was also very good - didnt have the spin as babolat but better than performaxx,

Just i prefer stiffer gut and performaxx offered me this

tennisplayer1993 03-16-2013 06:21 PM

I once played with a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus with Lux Alu Power 16 (mains) and Babolat VS team 16 (crosses). i loved it. added about 10-15 mph to my serve/groundstrokes. I loved the touch and bite I got from that combo. This is the only natural gut I have used.

ishiun 03-17-2013 04:58 PM

seems like wilson has the most votes

db10s 03-17-2013 04:59 PM

Wilson 17. Bab is too stiff now.

ishiun 03-17-2013 05:01 PM

i heard the old babolat was better than the current one. what changed?

TimothyO 03-17-2013 05:28 PM

Just switched from VS Touch (16g) to VS Tonic Longevity (15L or >1.35) for mains with 4G 1.25 crosses.

Same or better spin but lots more control, probably due to thicker gauge.

Have also tried VS Team and Wilson (both 16 and 17). Wilson feels softer than the BT7-based VS but the VS provides better control, especially at lower tensions.

TimothyO 03-17-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishiun (Post 7284683)
i heard the old babolat was better than the current one. what changed?

The new VS has fewer layers and is treated with a new chemical to improve durability. It plays stiffer than the old VS and the current Wilson.

Initially I disliked the feel of BT7 VS but then it grew on me. While not as soft as Wilson and old VS, the new VS does offer more control and spin imo.

Nostradamus 03-17-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 7279525)
I use Wilson NG 17. Used VS until the new coating came out. Did not like the feel of it at all.

Agree, too heavy on the coating, hey. Why and Why they insist on coating their gut big time?? It is a lot better with very thin coating. maybe they are trying to make the gut last longer but they break, it is just something they have to except

Nostradamus 03-17-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7284766)
The new VS has fewer layers and is treated with a new chemical to improve durability. It plays stiffer than the old VS and the current Wilson.

Initially I disliked the feel of BT7 VS but then it grew on me. While not as soft as Wilson and old VS, the new VS does offer more control and spin imo.

what about that Black gut ? is that any better ?

AlfaAce 03-17-2013 05:48 PM

Wilson nat gut 17G

darklore009 03-17-2013 05:51 PM

wilson nat gut 17. i tried the new coating and killed my arm. just hope wilson doesnt pick up what babolat is doing to their guts.

NLBwell 03-17-2013 06:01 PM

I like ToughGut. It has less power than something like the Wilson.

TimothyO 03-17-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7284815)
what about that Black gut ? is that any better ?

Black VS 16 seems to be the same as the natural. Only advantage is that you can really see your wear pattern well. It made me very happy to see how consistently I hit the sweet spot. My 8-10 center mains get very well worn while the edges remain nearly pristine.

I remember when I started playing tennis and I read about the need to hit certain areas of the string bed. I thought to myself, "I can barely hit the ball, how the heck do I hit the middle of the string bed?!?,"

Nostradamus 03-17-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7284991)
Black VS 16 seems to be the same as the natural. Only advantage is that you can really see your wear pattern well. It made me very happy to see how consistently I hit the sweet spot. My 8-10 center mains get very well worn while the edges remain nearly pristine.

I remember when I started playing tennis and I read about the need to hit certain areas of the string bed. I thought to myself, "I can barely hit the ball, how the heck do I hit the middle of the string bed?!?,"

Maybe you are just as talented as Federer who hits the sweet spot every single time. I heard he never misses the sweet spot as long as he has been a pro:)

acura9927 03-17-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 7284760)
Just switched from VS Touch (16g) to VS Tonic Longevity (15L or >1.35) for mains with 4G 1.25 crosses.

Same or better spin but lots more control, probably due to thicker gauge.

Have also tried VS Team and Wilson (both 16 and 17). Wilson feels softer than the BT7-based VS but the VS provides better control, especially at lower tensions.

My shop ran out of Wilson Nat Gut so I settled for Bab Team 17 Nat Gut. Will be using it at 51pds in a 4d100. Is that low enough tension for better control?

TimothyO 03-18-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7285014)
Maybe you are just as talented as Federer who hits the sweet spot every single time. I heard he never misses the sweet spot as long as he has been a pro:)

NOPE!

I do have a very well worn pattern in the center BUT I also have two frames with a cracked grommet at 12 from mishits. My son cracked one and I cracked the other on serve. :oops:

netguy 03-18-2013 09:30 AM

Wilson NG is the best premium one.
Pacific classic is the best buy for the money.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse