Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Need Help!!! Best way to remove old gunk from Old head tape (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457804)

khw72004 03-15-2013 07:39 PM

Need Help!!! Best way to remove old gunk from Old head tape

I recently got a racket that had some old head tape and when I peeled it off it left some gunk on the frame. Does anyone know the best way to clean it up without damaging the racket

retrowagen 03-15-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khw72004 (Post 7279087)
I recently got a racket that had some old head tape and when I peeled it off it left some gunk on the frame. Does anyone know the best way to clean it up without damaging the racket

Rubbing alcohol from a drugstore, with a textured cloth of some sort, and lots of "elbow grease." If it is super gummy, it'll take quite a bit of time and effort. Some say WD-40 or (Ronsonol) lighter fluid is good for removing adhesive residue, but I stick with rubbing alcohol.

slowfox 03-15-2013 11:55 PM

Goo gone....

dak95_00 03-16-2013 06:21 AM

Use your favorite solvent (above suggestions should work) w/ a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It won't hurt the finish of the racquet and will quickly wipe away all blemishes; that is, as quick as possible.

Dave M 03-16-2013 07:36 AM

baby wipes can work well if you have them

slowfox 03-16-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 7279802)
baby wipes can work well if you have them

Interesting. I gotta try it since I treat my racquets like babies.. :)

Roadway 03-16-2013 08:19 AM

Gasoline is the solvent for this. I always do with it.

lim 03-16-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7279254)
Rubbing alcohol from a drugstore, with a textured cloth of some sort, and lots of "elbow grease." If it is super gummy, it'll take quite a bit of time and effort. Some say WD-40 or (Ronsonol) lighter fluid is good for removing adhesive residue, but I stick with rubbing alcohol.

WD-40 will work. I've used it removing residue off of old labels and getting gum of off shoes (unfortunate). I would recommend that you thoroughly wipe the areas down after the residue is removed though.

Racquet Daddy 03-16-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7279397)
Goo gone....

I second Goo Gone. I've used it to remove residue from head tape, lead tape, stickers, etc. It does exactly what it was made for.

Sinner 03-16-2013 09:57 AM

http://tipnut.com/25-helpful-items-t...-adhesive-goo/

slowfox 03-16-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinner (Post 7280091)

I like #30 - using Duct Tape. Then below that they tell ya how to remove duct tape residue... haha :)

Seriously though, I do see the logic of using duct tape to remove certain kinds of sticky goo. Learn something everyday.

jimbo333 03-17-2013 04:10 AM

Some old head tape can be really difficult to get off whatever you use. Ironically the biggest problem i've had has been with masking tape, as if you take it off immediately, zero residue; but if left on for a few years, it seems to bond with the paintwork sometimes, and just will not budge using any known solvent!

fortun8son 03-24-2013 01:58 AM

GooGone works for most residue. Really stubborn stuff might need Goof-Off.
Jimbo-You might try some good, old-fashioned steam from your teakettle to loosen the masking tape.:)

v-verb 03-24-2013 02:28 AM

Ironic as head tape is supposed to protect the racquet. I removed some from an old Prince ThunderBolt - it removed some of the finish.

I've been using Goo Gone but will also try WD-40

jimbo333 03-24-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7298924)
GooGone works for most residue. Really stubborn stuff might need Goof-Off.
Jimbo-You might try some good, old-fashioned steam from your teakettle to loosen the masking tape.:)

Cheers, I must admit one thing I havn't tried is steam, but when using that for other things have to remember to be careful, as easy to burn yourself using steam.

I can get the masking tape off in little pieces, once it has been on for years, but the residue it leaves is ridculously difficult to remove sometimes without damaging the paint underneath, and should add only certain types of paint are affected. The best solution is prevention, so please nobody leave masking tape on their rackets for a long period of time!

ctromano 03-25-2013 07:28 AM

nail polish remover and cotton balls for those delicate HEAD racquets made before 1992

max 03-28-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7279397)
Goo gone....

Yeah, this is the stuff I use. It just is good for a general frame cleanup, too, especially once the old strings are out.

magnut 03-31-2013 06:52 PM

My experience with vintage frames, I currents have a few hundred...

Goo gone works best for head tape residue

Alchohol seems to work best for scuffs

A toothbrush and alchohol or even soapy water work great for getting in and around the grommets to get the dirt out. If you want to clean the frame while strung you need to get a bottle brush or a gun barrel cleaning brush (plastic brissled not brass).

Careful with stuff like goof of because it can remove the clear coat on some frames. Especially if your rubbing hard.

If you have a frame with a rubberized coating ala prince warrior, gamma 9.0 etc you need to be really careful what you use and even how you store the racquets as the ruberized coating does not hold up over time and gets sticky and messy.

You can also use painters tape for head guard protection. It does not leave a residue and does a good job of protecting the frame if you put a couple layer on. Its also easy to find and reativly cheap. The colors kind of stink though for some frames.

Painters tape might be a viable option for some though as I have seen head guard tape pull paint off vintage frames pretty regularly. Its not a huge deal to me as I tend to play with my frames but if someone has a rather mint vintage racquet and just has to git it a light hit painters tape might be worth a try.

Tamiya 03-31-2013 11:16 PM

for scuffs that hasn't broken thru the paint, try cream car polish.
There's a tiny bottle of Autoglym on my benh right now.

Turtle Tar & Bug Remover also works on dried gaffer glue
if isopropyl isn't working fast enough (only on gloss paint).
Water based glues better with methylated spirits.