Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Destin Recommendations (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457829)

askier1 03-16-2013 04:52 AM

Destin Recommendations

Going to Destin April 1 to 5 and am looking for a great place to hit with my 2 kids. Probably like to get in 2 hours in the morning and maybe something in the late afternoon.

We are not staying at a resort as this is our first trip to the area and we are just checking it out for maybe future tennis related vacations.

Thanks

ollinger 03-16-2013 05:37 AM

You really missed an opportunity here to call this "Destin-ations."

gavna 03-16-2013 12:40 PM

Well Seascape/Destin Tennis Club has deals/connections with a bunch of reports/rentals and hotels in town you should check out that website.

Of course you have Sandestin, Tops'L and Watercolor Tennis CTR - check out each and I know Watercolor Tennis CTr will allow guests to play and use the facilities for a daily/weekly fee.

topsltennis 03-21-2013 12:03 PM

The above poster has some good suggestions- TOPS'L is completely private, you have to be a member or play with a guest- some good players there- last I heard I think Sandestin relaxed their policy to allow outside play with ct fees, but I could be wrong. WaterColor, Seaside, and Rosemary on 30A are available to play with ct. fees, but if you're in Destin, that's a pretty good haul to get out there, especially with possible extra traffic from spring break. You could also consider driving to Fort Walton Beach (west, rather than east to 30A) and hitting at the FWB Municipal Tennis Center. Not nearly as nice as the other places, but a good amount of players and MUCH cheaper.

askier1 03-23-2013 04:45 AM

Thanks for the input. Looks like we are going to hit at Hidden Dunes. Close to the hotel and they allow outsiders to play with a fee. Seems like some pretty nice people, was able to book my court times 2 weeks in advance.

atatu 03-26-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askier1 (Post 7296871)
Thanks for the input. Looks like we are going to hit at Hidden Dunes. Close to the hotel and they allow outsiders to play with a fee. Seems like some pretty nice people, was able to book my court times 2 weeks in advance.

I'm going to be staying at Hidden Dunes in June, I'm not crazy about paying $36 to play, but I guess I'll have to deal with it, it is a vacation after all.

topsltennis 03-26-2013 12:47 PM

Yeah, I forget about Hidden Dunes. The long time director left a couple of years ago and the asst. took over and they brought in an experienced pro fro Pensacola. It is a little more 'under the radar' than the other places, but a great place to play, courts have good protection if it's windy. It's a little pricey in and around the area, but like you said, it sort of to be expected. Hope you guys enjoy your time here, have fun!

tommynguyen101 03-31-2013 04:07 PM

Honestly, I think Destin is a little too humid for tennis. If I were you, I'll just enjoy the beach 24/7. But then again, I live in Texas. I don't get to see the beach too often.

NMTennis 05-13-2013 08:54 AM

I was wondering about weather in Destin/Sandestin in November - specifically late November/Thanksgiving? Family is thinking of going there...I imagine it would be too cold for the beach, but still nice enough to do things outside - i.e. Tennis, right?

Thanks in advance...

mikeler 05-13-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMTennis (Post 7408506)
I was wondering about weather in Destin/Sandestin in November - specifically late November/Thanksgiving? Family is thinking of going there...I imagine it would be too cold for the beach, but still nice enough to do things outside - i.e. Tennis, right?

Thanks in advance...

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...?climoMonth=11

Looks like high 60s in the day with low 40s in the night is the norm.

atatu 05-14-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topsltennis (Post 7304877)
Yeah, I forget about Hidden Dunes. The long time director left a couple of years ago and the asst. took over and they brought in an experienced pro fro Pensacola. It is a little more 'under the radar' than the other places, but a great place to play, courts have good protection if it's windy. It's a little pricey in and around the area, but like you said, it sort of to be expected. Hope you guys enjoy your time here, have fun!

Hey, can you advise if any of the resorts have junior programs for advanced players ? I want to get my kids a hit while we're there.

topsltennis 05-15-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 7411637)
Hey, can you advise if any of the resorts have junior programs for advanced players ? I want to get my kids a hit while we're there.

You would be better off going with a private with a pro; not a lot of established junior programs/academies for advanced players in the area... the emphasis is more centered on adult tennis packages, etc.

Chotobaka 05-15-2013 12:54 PM

Here's a different recommendation for you...

The Pan Fried Oyster B.L.T. sandwich at Vin'tij -- on my very short list for the Best Sandwich Ever crown.