Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What Happened To The St Vincent Factory? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457962)

db10s 03-17-2013 12:47 PM

What Happened To The St Vincent Factory?

Lets say I'm going to St Vincent and I want to see the rubble where history was made.... Is there an address? Can we track it down on google earth? What if there are a few molds or something there (ok... Maybe there are a few buttcaps)? What is left of the property? Is there a new use for the factory? I know that at least one of you guys have a faint idea of what happened...

jimbo333 03-17-2013 04:40 PM

I have no idea, but it's a good question. Am guessing though there is nothing left from the Wilson PS85 days, but i may be wrong!

Tennis Man 03-17-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7283281)
Lets say I'm going to St Vincent and I want to see the rubble where history was made.... Is there an address? Can we track it down on google earth? What if there are a few molds or something there (ok... Maybe there are a few buttcaps)? What is left of the property? Is there a new use for the factory? I know that at least one of you guys have a faint idea of what happened...

More likely it was a small shop back 20 years ago and who know what they made out of it. It could be a toy shop by now making some voodoo dolls. :)

MAXXply 03-17-2013 06:29 PM

The St Vincent authorities invested heavily to improve the island's tourism infrastructure. In conjunction with American backers the site has been transformed into a huge retail/factory outlet development. It boasts the Caribbean's largest Filene's Basement, TJMaxx, Martha Stewart Homewares and Pottery Barn. The St Vincent Chik-Fil-A's menu has been adapted for local tastes and serves over 10,000 Jerked Chicken sandwiches daily. Carl's Jr has a drive-thru near where the buttcap-stamping plant used to be. Liz Claiborne and DKNY are located where the Payroll and HR departments used to be.

Fearsome Forehand 03-17-2013 06:59 PM

Start at the beach and follow the trail of tennis rackets until the path goes dry. :-D

Sounds like St Vincent's nuked one of its best potential tennis tourist attractions. But, we are compensated by the jerk chicken.

floydcouncil 03-17-2013 07:41 PM

"Burning down the house"

latershow 03-17-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 7284972)
The St Vincent authorities invested heavily to improve the island's tourism infrastructure. In conjunction with American backers the site has been transformed into a huge retail/factory outlet development. It boasts the Caribbean's largest Filene's Basement, TJMaxx, Martha Stewart Homewares and Pottery Barn. The St Vincent Chik-Fil-A's menu has been adapted for local tastes and serves over 10,000 Jerked Chicken sandwiches daily. Carl's Jr has a drive-thru near where the buttcap-stamping plant used to be. Liz Claiborne and DKNY are located where the Payroll and HR departments used to be.

I honestly cant tell whether this is meant to be a joke or not. You wouldnt happen to have the google map co-ordinates?

Sanglier 03-17-2013 10:22 PM

I hate to be the first to ruin another perfectly good joke, but considering the entire population of Kingstown is barely over 25k, I would say that the daily jerk chicken sandwich count is a bit of a giveaway here, even if you take everything else at face value (butt-cap stamping plant and all :) ). Plus, he called it "jerked chicken", which conjures up some rather disturbing imagery of activities that may not be completely legal or practical even on an individual basis, much less scaled up to industrial production levels.

MAXXply 03-17-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanglier (Post 7285372)
I hate to be the first to ruin another perfectly good joke, but considering the entire population of Kingstown is barely over 25k, I would say that the daily jerk chicken sandwich count is a bit of a giveaway here, even if you take everything else at face value (butt-cap stamping plant and all :) ). Plus, he called it "jerked chicken", which conjures up some rather disturbing imagery of activities that may not be completely legal or practical even on an individual basis, much less scaled up to industrial production levels.

Awwright, you got me on the jerk v jerked ... :-)
The closest I've been to the Caribbean is Bob Marley records.

tacoben 03-19-2013 11:22 AM

More over...I would be interested to know what happened to the machines and tools that made the famous racquet...maybe stocked piled in Wilson's Historical Archives?

Dave M 03-23-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoben (Post 7288729)
More over...I would be interested to know what happened to the machines and tools that made the famous racquet...maybe stocked piled in Wilson's Historical Archives?

I am sure i read somewhere that the faactory was re tooled as a womens clothing one some years back and that wilson took their stuff with them to a new plant.
(which is why there were cross over racquets between St V plant and Taiwan)