Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Better option than Prince SynGut 16 w/Duraflex ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457974)

InsideOut 03-17-2013 02:40 PM

Better option than Prince SynGut 16 w/Duraflex ?

Hi.

I just buy strings when I'm in US, which has been 3 years ago. I usually play with the Prince SynGut 16 with Duraflex, but it seems the price has been increased, and I don't find the string good value anymore, so I'm considering other options.

I play with a Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred, and like the feel and consistency of the Prince string for the first 30 minutes, then it looses a little and strings starts to move a lot, and after 90-120 minutes it usually breaks (on red clay). The last 15 minutes it is not very consistent.

My shots are very flat, so I'm not looking for any spin oriented string.

I'll need to order in the next few days, so I'm hoping to get a little input from others.

I'm considering going multifilament with the Mantis Comfort (only $7 more than Prince), or synthetic with the Forten Sweet 16 (for value).

I have previously tried the Wilson Stamina and did not like. I also tried the Gosen OG sheep Micro 16, and found it very similar to the Prince, but it just feels a little dead.

logrock 03-17-2013 04:26 PM

As far as syn. gut goes, I have found Forten Sweet 16ga to be an all around
solid performer. Similar to Gosen OG sheep & Prince orginal syngut but softer and better at holding tension. Also cheaper!
For reference, I use it both as a hybrid and full set in LM Rad midplus at 55lbs.

redbirdone 03-18-2013 05:40 PM

What's your budget? Prince syn gut is running $4.75 a pack, are you looking to spend less? Or are you okay with spending more provided there is a performance gain?

InsideOut 03-18-2013 06:20 PM

logrock, thanks for the info about Forten.

redbirdone, mostly looking for value, but also a price below $100 for a reel. While PSG is below $100 I just don't find it a good string for $83, considering it's syngut and breaks easily.

loosegroove 03-18-2013 06:45 PM

Your best bet is Pro Supex Spiral Flex. Great syn gut and inexpensive too. Unfortunately they don't sell it at TW.

redbirdone 03-18-2013 07:01 PM

Have you considered poly? Tourna big hitter blue rough for $89 a reel is hard to beat for "bang for your buck"

And if you want to stay with a syn gut, Wilson syn gut reels are a little bit more than half of the Prince reels ($50) for about the same performance

OHBH 03-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbirdone (Post 7287417)
Have you considered poly? Tourna big hitter blue rough for $89 a reel is hard to beat for "bang for your buck"

And if you want to stay with a syn gut, Wilson syn gut reels are a little bit more than half of the Prince reels ($50) for about the same performance

Yeah Wilson extreme syn gut 16g gives you a lot more playability and durability than the Prince. I typically hybrid it with Isospeed Baseline which is a great poly for the price.

Prince Duraflex is a god awful string in my opinion the playability is gone almost instantly with that junk.

acura9927 03-18-2013 11:48 PM

I 2nd the above, Prince Duraflex along with Dunlop Silk should be taken off all stores shelves everywhere.

ishiun 03-19-2013 02:35 AM

agreed. This string is amazing. the big hitter black is also great but bhb7 is mainly a spin string and you said you werent looking for spin. so you shud try BHBR

rich s 03-19-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut (Post 7283879)
Hi.

I just buy strings when I'm in US, which has been 3 years ago. I usually play with the Prince SynGut 16 with Duraflex, but it seems the price has been increased, and I don't find the string good value anymore, so I'm considering other options.

I play with a Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred, and like the feel and consistency of the Prince string for the first 30 minutes, then it looses a little and strings starts to move a lot, and after 90-120 minutes it usually breaks (on red clay). The last 15 minutes it is not very consistent.

My shots are very flat, so I'm not looking for any spin oriented string.

I'll need to order in the next few days, so I'm hoping to get a little input from others.

I'm considering going multifilament with the Mantis Comfort (only $7 more than Prince), or synthetic with the Forten Sweet 16 (for value).

I have previously tried the Wilson Stamina and did not like. I also tried the Gosen OG sheep Micro 16, and found it very similar to the Prince, but it just feels a little dead.

If you are going to keep using syn gut, take a look at Gamma Synthetic Gut with Wearguard. I've found it to play similarly to PSGD and maintain tension as well or better...

rich

mikeler 03-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich s (Post 7288171)
If you are going to keep using syn gut, take a look at Gamma Synthetic Gut with Wearguard. I've found it to play similarly to PSGD and maintain tension as well or better...

rich

The version without WearGuard lasts longer.

rich s 03-19-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7288609)
The version without WearGuard lasts longer.

how ironic... :)

newyorkstadium 03-20-2013 01:47 AM

Volkl Synthetic Gut 17 is a much better string at a cheaper price. Likewise Ashaway synthetic gut & liberty. I haven't tried Liberty but it is incredibly cheap.

anubis 03-20-2013 07:02 AM

If you're just looking for a cheap nylon reel, go Gosen OGSM or Forten Sweet.

Go to TW's string reel finder and sort them all by price. You'll see the cheapest ones there. But, you get what you pay for. Cheap nylon strings are just that - cheap and nylon. You aren't going to get whiz-bang performance out of them, but you will certainly be able to string a lot of racquets for very little money.

rev200g 03-21-2013 08:38 AM

I really like my Forten Competition Nylon 16 as a cross in my hybrid as does a friend of mine who plays at the 5.0 level and has compared it to the Prince Syngut. He says the Forten nylon is a bit softer while being more durable and maintaining playability longer.

max 03-21-2013 08:58 AM

The duraflex stuff is lousy; Prince ruined a good string by adding it. . . and then 'fessed up to it by reissuing original syn gut.

Unless you bust strings constantly, there are plenty of other good options out there.

TW Staff 03-21-2013 10:00 AM

InsideOut,

I'd like to reinforce what newyorkstadium and mikeler said. Both Volkl Synthetic Gut and Gamma Synthetic Gut are good options. We found Volkl's syn gut to be quite lively for the breed, so you might consider starting there.

Jon

mikeler 03-21-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7293238)
InsideOut,

I'd like to reinforce what newyorkstadium and mikeler said. Both Volkl Synthetic Gut and Gamma Synthetic Gut are good options. We found Volkl's syn gut to be quite lively for the breed, so you might consider starting there.

Jon

Have not read much about the Volkl. Thanks for sharing.

donnygg 03-22-2013 09:21 AM

Note that there are 2 versions of Volkl syn gut - the classic and non-classic 'duraguard'.