Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   TW Steam S Playtesters (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457990)

NLBwell 03-17-2013 05:48 PM

TW Steam S Playtesters

Some TW play testers have switched to the new Steam 99S rackets - Jason, Mark, Spencer (?). The question is - Are these guys winning significantly more games, sets, matches, against all of you who play often with them. It seems they hit with more spin, but do they play a level higher with the racket (4.0 to 4.5, say) or about the same?

morandi 03-18-2013 07:35 AM

I'm not a TW tester, but I do know that the Steam 99S has cut down significantly on my errors, which has led to more match wins.
I just play more cleanly and more consistent tennis with this racquet, and it has bred more confidence for me to go for my shots.

TW Staff 03-18-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7284838)
Some TW play testers have switched to the new Steam 99S rackets - Jason, Mark, Spencer (?). The question is - Are these guys winning significantly more games, sets, matches, against all of you who play often with them. It seems they hit with more spin, but do they play a level higher with the racket (4.0 to 4.5, say) or about the same?

Since I regularly get beaten down by Spencer, Mark, and other playtesters, my wins havent' necessarily gone up. However, I do feel like I am able to compete better because I can hit a heavier ball and also, with the spin, shots that normally go out are now landing in.

Jason, TW

NLBwell 03-18-2013 12:41 PM

Any changes in the typical scores?

Boricua 03-18-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7286535)
Any changes in the typical scores?

One more game per set. From 6-1 6-1 to 6-2 6-2.:)

TW Staff 03-18-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 7286563)
One more game per set. From 6-1 6-1 to 6-2 6-2.:)

I'm just happy to be on the court.

Jason, TW

Boricua 03-18-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7286853)
I'm just happy to be on the court.

Jason, TW

Well said. Me too. And you have an excellent game and passion for the sport. That is what matters.

NLBwell 03-19-2013 08:00 PM

Any thoughts from Chris or Andy about how Mark or Spencer are playing with it?

TW Staff 03-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7289740)
Any thoughts from Chris or Andy about how Mark or Spencer are playing with it?

They are both getting noticeably more topspin on their shots. I get to hit with Spencer a little more often than Mark (we have a weekly doubles match we play) so I can attest more to Spennie than Mark, but Spencer is getting some more kick on his kick serves, more slice on his slices and volleys, and more topspin off both sides. He seems to be hitting with more confidence knowing that his shots will drop in at the last moment, especially when he really accelerates his swing.

Andy, TW

NLBwell 03-20-2013 08:26 PM

Seems like it is making a significant positive difference to Spencer's game. Andy, why haven't you switched? Did you not play better with it?

JackB1 03-21-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7291462)
They are both getting noticeably more topspin on their shots. I get to hit with Spencer a little more often than Mark (we have a weekly doubles match we play) so I can attest more to Spennie than Mark, but Spencer is getting some more kick on his kick serves, more slice on his slices and volleys, and more topspin off both sides. He seems to be hitting with more confidence knowing that his shots will drop in at the last moment, especially when he really accelerates his swing.

Andy, TW

How is everyone dealing with the fact that you need to restring so often? Every 6-10 hours is weekly if you play 3,4 times a week.

TW Staff 03-21-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7292772)
How is everyone dealing with the fact that you need to restring so often? Every 6-10 hours is weekly if you play 3,4 times a week.

You're right. I just snapped another set of polyester. After about 8 hours of play. Fortunately, that just means I get to playtest more string. :-)

Jason, TW

TW Staff 03-21-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7292258)
Seems like it is making a significant positive difference to Spencer's game. Andy, why haven't you switched? Did you not play better with it?

I really like playing with it, and I think it's great for hitting topspin. To be honest, one big reason I didn't want to switch to it is that I find it difficult to switch between the Steam and more traditional racquets. We hit lots of different racquets and string setups for playtesting (often times in the same hitting session), and when going FROM the Steam BACK to a traditional frame, I struggle with the adjustment. The ball comes off at a slightly higher trajectory off the Steam, and I also find myself altering my strokes in order to generate the most topspin I can with it. I can't help but get carried away with the spin potential.

Also, although I really like it for hitting topspin, I find other racquets suit me better for the other shots in my game. They are racquets that I think perform better around the net, on serve and on slices, but obviously the playtesters that have switched to it would disagree with me there.

So...I do really like hitting with it and I definitely think it helps my topspin groundstrokes, but it just couldn't take my top spot!

Andy, TW

AndrewD 03-24-2013 01:38 AM

Spencer ,

I've been looking at the EX03 100 16x18 which you used to play with and was wondering what you feel you're getting out of the Steam that you weren't getting with the 03. Obviously, the extreme spin is one thing but the 03 is also a very spin-friendly frame. Were there any injury issues that cropped up when you were using the 03 or was there something in particular that made you move on from it?

Thanks mate.

usta2050 03-29-2013 11:17 PM

wow, all these TW testers' comments are on the money!! Thank you!

For me, Steam S's biggest problem is the lack of response, esp for slices....if you use any string thicker than 17L and strings lower than 68.

Try it.

Murph001 03-30-2013 03:22 PM

How does one go about being considered a playtester wheather it is racquet, strings, shoes or clothing?

TW Staff 04-02-2013 09:26 AM

Our TW Playtesters all work at Tennis Warehouse. We occasionally post playtest opportunities on the message board for racquets, strings, and shoes. Currently, we have two shoes and strings playtests going. Keep an eye out for another racquet and string playtest later this month. We pick our playtesters based on a variety of reasons from participation on the message board to past reviews.

Hope that helps!

Brittany, TW