Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What is "new" in string since the mid 90's? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458006)

eastbayliz 03-17-2013 07:03 PM

What is "new" in string since the mid 90's?

I am coming off a long hiatus in playing tennis. Say since well the mid-90's! I played competitively at a high level as a junior. My parents managed some public courts and we did stringing at the shop. Back then what we had was pretty simple-synthetic gut, problend or nylon. I don't think we sold natural gut but I know for a long time natural gut was what in to my rackets. I hit hard and with a ton of spin and broke strings often. I think we eventually started putting synthetic in my racket because of the cost. The last string I remember using was Wilson Synthetic 17 gauge. Fast forward it's 2011 now! I have come back to tennis playing very lightly at first. Then more and now I am really getting into and am playing NTRP tournaments. I found a great stringer and gave him a set that I bought from TW- Volkl Synthetic Gut 17 String. This stuff feels awesome-like a million bucks. Since I am not breaking strings at all now I don't care about durability. That might change if I up my playing hours and intensity. Some other stuff I had was Wilson/Enduro Tour or something like that. I work at tennis program and have a large supply of sets of this I can use for free. I have looked through the string finder on TW and through Wilson and am pretty lost on all the choices. The stuff I bought from TW was about $5.00/set. I see other strings that are not natural gut but are very pricey like $20/set. So what's "new" in string in the last 15 or so years?

tvizz 03-17-2013 07:14 PM

For some reason I can't reply unless I click the quote button, Rather odd, anyhow....

The big new thing is poly, hardly anyone uses kevlar anymore because of it.

Basically it is stiff with a lot of control and awesome spin. It is very durable but "Goes Dead" after a few weeks when it looses tension.

I can assume the synguts and multis are better but the big new thing is poly. The poly strings used to be even stiffer but now they are messing around with the composition and making them a little more elastic.

Nostradamus 03-17-2013 07:17 PM

I want a Multi string that will give you more spin than Poly. Who will come up with such string ?

Doubles 03-17-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7285108)
I want a Multi string that will give you more spin than Poly. Who will come up with such string ?

Why don't you do it?

esgee48 03-17-2013 09:45 PM

Zyex is somewhat new. No one really has a handle on this stuff yet (according to Strings Forum.) Then there is the polyolefins (think RIP Control) which is in its own class.

Even the 'plain old syn gut' is not the same as what was around from the 90's. Manufacturers have learned a lot (chemistry wise) and the same named string probably have different formulations.

marosmith 03-17-2013 09:54 PM

This is just my opinion but assuming money doesn't matter there are two string options, poly and natural gut. Everything else (multis, syn gut etc....) is pointless.

Gut is the best for power, feel, pocketing tension maintenance.

Poly is the best for spin and some would say "control".

My rule of thumb is if you are anything but a very heavy spin player than nothing compares to gut/ poly hybrid with gut in the mains. For the poly I like smooth/slippery co-polys.

Really once you try these I highly doubt you will go back to multi or syn gut- AGAIN, this is unless cost is a big issue for you. If it is, don't try this setup because I don't honestly see you going back once you give this a try.

eastbayliz 03-17-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7285339)
Zyex is somewhat new. No one really has a handle on this stuff yet (according to Strings Forum.) Then there is the polyolefins (think RIP Control) which is in its own class.

Even the 'plain old syn gut' is not the same as what was around from the 90's. Manufacturers have learned a lot (chemistry wise) and the same named string probably have different formulations.

Yeah I first learned things have changed when I attempted to find basic 17 gauge syn gut.

Hi I'm Ray 03-18-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7285076)
I am coming off a long hiatus in playing tennis. Say since well the mid-90's! I played competitively at a high level as a junior. My parents managed some public courts and we did stringing at the shop. Back then what we had was pretty simple-synthetic gut, problend or nylon. I don't think we sold natural gut but I know for a long time natural gut was what in to my rackets.

So what's "new" in string in the last 15 or so years?

Poly & multis have really taken off. While most syn gut was very similar to each other, polys & multis are available with a wide range of characteristics and there are loads of them on the market. Poly IMO has better control & spin than syn gut, but worse feel & comfort. The other thing is hybrid stringing, using different mains/crosses and sometimes with different tensions - there are countless hybrid combinations.

Back then it was simple, I used OGSM or OGSM JC, kevlar in my string eater racket, and I was done. Since getting back into tennis in 2010 I've been trying various polys & hybrids for the past 2 years & really enjoying it

THESEXPISTOL 03-18-2013 04:17 AM

Check this out if you're looking for synthetic guts:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=457430

pvaudio 03-18-2013 04:45 AM

Many of the same multis that you had are still around: NRG2, NXT, Sensation. There are now many, many more. As said, poly is the new big thing, but it is definitely NOT for everyone.

mikeler 03-18-2013 05:21 AM

This is an updated listing of some of the most extensive string reviews on this forum:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419469

eastbayliz 03-18-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7285635)
This is an updated listing of some of the most extensive string reviews on this forum:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419469

Cool! Thanks!

eastbayliz 03-18-2013 09:25 AM

Ok so Poly = Polyolefins? Do you most pro players still use natural gut? Is Natural Gut still the gold standard? Can't afford the stuff myself at this point.

eastbayliz 03-18-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marosmith (Post 7285348)
This is just my opinion but assuming money doesn't matter there are two string options, poly and natural gut. Everything else (multis, syn gut etc....) is pointless.

Gut is the best for power, feel, pocketing tension maintenance.

Poly is the best for spin and some would say "control".

My rule of thumb is if you are anything but a very heavy spin player than nothing compares to gut/ poly hybrid with gut in the mains. For the poly I like smooth/slippery co-polys.

Really once you try these I highly doubt you will go back to multi or syn gut- AGAIN, this is unless cost is a big issue for you. If it is, don't try this setup because I don't honestly see you going back once you give this a try.

At this point cost is a big part of the equation. I saw one pack of NXT (I think) at Sports Authority (weak, weak weak selection there) and it was $20.

As far as synthetic gut (17 guage) available in reels what do people think is the highest quality-both budget and cost as no object? My Dad (my old stringer and the guy who taught me tennis) says he wants to buy a reel for me. Way to go Dad-hopefully we will playing father-daughter doubs this year.

Doubles 03-18-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7286116)
At this point cost is a big part of the equation. I saw one pack of NXT (I think) at Sports Authority (weak, weak weak selection there) and it was $20.

As far as synthetic gut (17 guage) available in reels what do people think is the highest quality-both budget and cost as no object? My Dad (my old stringer and the guy who taught me tennis) says he wants to buy a reel for me. Way to go Dad-hopefully we will playing father-daughter doubs this year.

My vote goes to Gosen OG Micro. It's cheap, plays crisply, and has a low power level for a syn gut. Others would be able to I've more input as they have more experience with syn gut than I do, but Gosen is my favorite.

ultradr 03-18-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7285108)

I think it's easy. Just coat with ultra slippery material.

fortun8son 03-18-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7286101)
Ok so Poly = Polyolefins? .

No. Poly=Polyester or Co-polymer Polyester
The Polyolefin strings (Isospeed, Head) are usually classified along with the nylon multifilaments.

eastbayliz 03-19-2013 09:12 PM

Thank you everyone! This is going to be fun.

eastbayliz 03-19-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7286239)
My vote goes to Gosen OG Micro. It's cheap, plays crisply, and has a low power level for a syn gut. Others would be able to I've more input as they have more experience with syn gut than I do, but Gosen is my favorite.

Cool taking a look at the Gosen strings now.

Timbo's hopeless slice 03-19-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7286101)
Ok so Poly = Polyolefins? Do you most pro players still use natural gut? Is Natural Gut still the gold standard? Can't afford the stuff myself at this point.

no, most pro players use poly strings.

I'm a poly guy, wouldn't play with anything else but some players seem to have trouble with it.

good luck with this, and have fun! :)