Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What shot would you hit and why? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458008)

Cindysphinx 03-17-2013 07:19 PM

What shot would you hit and why?

Say you are playing a 4.0 doubles match, and you are in the deuce court.

Opponents lob your ad court partner at net. She can't play a smash, so she yells "Switch" and switches to the deuce court.

You cannot reach the ball to play it out of the air, but you manage to run it down to hit your BH.

Meanwhile, your opponent who hit the lob runs straight ahead to net. For the sake of this question, let's assume the two opponents take a staggered net position. So as you get ready to hit your BH, you have the deuce court (DTL) player about at the middle of her service box, with the ad court (Xcourt) player shaded toward the middle at about the service line near the T.

What shot would you attempt in that situation and why?

A. BH DTL drive.
B. BH Xcourt drive.
C. BH drive between the two opponents.
D. Lob DTL.
E. Lob Xcourt.

Nostradamus 03-17-2013 07:26 PM

Depends on who has the Weaker smash at net of 2 opponents that is at net. Lob(Hopefully deep) over opponent with weaker smash and one that tends to Choke more.

If you have enough time when you get to the ball, you can hit a down the line drive into the alley. I do this and works well. But then I have Awsome down the line 2-handed backhand that looks like david nalbandian's backhand.

Most of you women who is 3.5-4.0 do not have that shot. so % shot would be lob over weaker opponent. Ohhh, importantly, lob over the weaker person's Backhand side and recover quickly just in case she Shanks a lucky backhand overhead.

esgee48 03-17-2013 07:48 PM

Depends on how fast you are and if you can set up to hit the shot early. My 1st option is a dipping drive between your opponents that will force them to volley up. Then they're at your mercy. If you can't hit the back hand, then the crosscourt lob over the backhand side. Don't lob it down the line as both players could hit overheads or run it down for a FH. If you're really confident about your BH, the BH xcourt drive sharply angled.

tennis tom 03-17-2013 09:05 PM

I would tell my partner, playing "tight to the net", to move back until they couldn't lob her anymore. I would tell her to take the word "yours" out of her vocabulary and to cover her side of the court, that includes all lobs and all drop-shots, and that you'll do the same on your half of the court. Every time they successfully lob her, I would tell her to move back another step until their lobs would have to go long.

dcdoorknob 03-17-2013 09:39 PM

Depends on how much time I have, but assuming I get to the ball and get me feet set and have the ball in my strike zone, I'll probably play a BH drive down the middle. I like hitting to the middle in spots like this b/c I'll miss less than trying DTL or sharp angle crosscourt, and in my experience it can still be quite effective (not as a clean winner but in eliciting a possible weak shot).

I'll choose to drive over a lob at least in part because a) I like my 2hbh and can drive it flat (while keeping it low) better than most at my level. and b) my BH lob isn't one of my best/most precise shots (it's certainly something I should work on).

If I'm not in position to drive it though then a lob becomes about the only option.

OrangePower 03-17-2013 10:18 PM

Lob DTL.

10-awesome-running-BH-drives-by-delusional-4.0-players

AtomicForehand 03-18-2013 03:21 AM

C. Short drive to the middle, preferably with either hard slice or heavy topspin to cause a little confusion about who should take it and to make it harder to dig out.

Maui19 03-18-2013 03:37 AM

I'd rip a BH DTL into the corner for a winner.

This is the Internet, right?

Actually, it depends how tall the net person is. Generally, I would lob deep, probably cross court. Since I am on the move, I'm not sure I could hit this shot with precision, so I would worry about the net person being able to get to my lob and putting it away. If the net person is tall, or moves well, it would make it riskier to try to go over them, so I would go cross court.

Depending on the skills of the person receiving the lob, I might follow it into the net.

Cindysphinx 03-18-2013 03:46 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought.

It sounds like if you can't set your feet, most everyone would try some sort of lob.

It sounds like if you can set your feet, most people would still choose not to go DTL but instead go for a 2-shot combination -- either down the middle or Xcourt. Only those most confident in their BH DTL would try it.

I asked the question because I worked on this scenario with my hitting partner yesterday. Her pro is telling her that the correct shot is BH DTL. Trouble was, she never reached my lob in time to take it off the bounce, so she was stuck trying to hit BH DTL shots with the ball higher than her strike zone from deep in the court.

The only challenge her shot presented for me was what kind of winner to hit.

I told her I thought the only decent way to deal with that situation was to take the ball out of the air. If you bounce it, you're probably cooked.

spot 03-18-2013 04:25 AM

Lob whichever opponent has the weaker overhead. I really do consider that the "get out of jail free" play and would hope to reset the point where we are in a stronger position.

I really hate playing with partners who try and pass while stretched in that position.

Govnor 03-18-2013 06:53 AM

Lob to the weaker players side.

cknobman 03-18-2013 07:11 AM

F. BH Xcourt very wide with lots of spin.

Alchemy-Z 03-18-2013 07:13 AM

Lob...because you are running yourself off the court and need time to get back.

I'd probably go cross court lob just to give more room for error

asimple 03-18-2013 08:03 AM

If you can't set your feet the proper or they closed the net the proper shot is a lob. If you can set your feet and the line is open then I would chip conservatively down the line and approach, or potentially go for an angle if the net player was cheating to cover and the ball was short.

I just played 8.0 mixed for fun this weekend for the first time though, and based on that experience, I would hit a behind the back shot anywhere and wait for the error :)

Nostradamus 03-18-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7285543)
Yeah, that's what I thought.

It sounds like if you can't set your feet, most everyone would try some sort of lob.

It sounds like if you can set your feet, most people would still choose not to go DTL but instead go for a 2-shot combination -- either down the middle or Xcourt. Only those most confident in their BH DTL would try it.

I asked the question because I worked on this scenario with my hitting partner yesterday. Her pro is telling her that the correct shot is BH DTL. Trouble was, she never reached my lob in time to take it off the bounce, so she was stuck trying to hit BH DTL shots with the ball higher than her strike zone from deep in the court.

I told her I thought the only decent way to deal with that situation was to take the ball out of the air. If you bounce it, you're probably cooked.

Also you can drive the shot up the middle low towards the backhand volley in the middle. I sometimes hit hard up the middle if I see the netguy shifting to cover the line shot. and this works great too.:)

AtomicForehand 03-18-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7285943)
Also you can drive the shot up the middle low towards the backhand volley in the middle. I sometimes hit hard up the middle if I see the netguy shifting to cover the line shot. and this works great too.:)

That's what I said. :)

Nostradamus 03-18-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicForehand (Post 7285953)
That's what I said. :)

guy with atomic forehand has atomic backhand too ???:)

goran_ace 03-18-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7285543)

Interesting that her pro advised her that DTL is the best shot. That is probably the last place I would go because unless you give her something hard and low she's looking at a lot of open court and can dump it off cross court behind your partner for an easy winner. If the ad player is playing deeper I'd look for the sharp angle cross-court and go for the pass, or at least get her to hit up into my partner, but that's a tough shot to pull off unless you hit with a lot of top and I wouldn't expect many people have that shot at ladies 4.0. I'd play it at the seam in coverage, hard and flat line drive.

If you're still running backwards or sideways lob should really be the only option. If the deuce player is playing shallow and the ad player is at the service line I'd go over the deuce player (unless you know one or the other is just awful at hitting overheads). Either way, throw it up high and deep. Air it out.

emilyhex 03-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7286049)
Interesting that her pro advised her that DTL is the best shot. That is probably the last place I would go because unless you give her something hard and low she's looking at a lot of open court and can dump it off cross court behind your partner for an easy winner. If the ad player is playing deeper I'd look for the sharp angle cross-court and go for the pass, or at least get her to hit up into my partner, but that's a tough shot to pull off unless you hit with a lot of top and I wouldn't expect many people have that shot at ladies 4.0. I'd play it at the seam in coverage, hard and flat line drive.

If you're still running backwards or sideways lob should really be the only option. If the deuce player is playing shallow and the ad player is at the service line I'd go over the deuce player (unless you know one or the other is just awful at hitting overheads). Either way, throw it up high and deep. Air it out.

Yep, if you have time to plant your feet, up the middle. Second choice would be a crosscourt to the backhand volley, the lower the better. If you are on the run, lob might be your best choice. Try to give them a shot they can't hit a winner with so you can keep the ball in play and get another look at it.

Cindysphinx 03-18-2013 10:28 AM

Yeah, I remember doing drills with this particular pro concerning this exact scenario. She advised taking the BH up the line.

It was a hot mess. The player running down the lob could hit AT BEST a very sad shot into the alley, and the net player could guide it into the huge chasm between the opponents every time. Making matters worse is that the DTL drive goes to the FH of the net player, which is the stronger wing for most players.

The only way I can see the DTL shot working is if the player's partner gets off the net as soon as the lob goes over her head. Then you at least have two at the baseline and there isn't that huge diagonal alley between them for the net player to volley into.