Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bought a PK, still get pain.. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458055)

mbm0912 03-18-2013 08:19 AM

Bought a PK, still get pain..

I recently started playing with a PK Ki 315. Although it helped, I'm getting a good amount of pain starting to creep back in my shoulder and arm. I even have Softflex strings at low tension (53 lbs.) Also, this racquet may be a little on the heavy side for me, could that be contributing to pain? I hit about 3 times a week. The serve seems to be what causes the most discomfort. Any advice or alternate racquet suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not sure what my rating is, but I would consider myself an intermediate rec player. Thanks again.

Rabbit 03-18-2013 08:29 AM

If you had existing pain, don't be surprised if a new frame doesn't cure it immediately. It took some time to get the injury, it will take some time for it to heal.

When I had TE, I went to an arm surgeon. He put me on cortisone injections for a period of time for relief. A racquet/string change did make a big difference, but it took time.

KenC 03-18-2013 09:08 AM

I would also make sure your technique is not the real culprit of your pain. The serve is a very complex series of motions and doing something awkward can put a lot of repetitive stress on joints.

While the 315 is a very comfortable racquet and very arm friendly, it is not a cure (no matter what the sticker on it says) for arm and shoulder pains. The best it can do is only make the racquet a little less jarring on impact when compared to most other modern racquets.

scotus 03-18-2013 09:32 AM

When TE has progressed beyond a certain point, no racquet in the world can sufficiently reduce the pain.

In fact, you will feel excruciating pain in activities that have nothing to do with tennis. You will feel unbelievable shock & vibration simply from pushing a shopping cart. You will feel sharp pain when holding up a jar or a cup of tea or even when washing your hair.

Some will feel constant pain even when they do nothing at all.

My advice: Rest and ice. Take a long time off tennis and ice it religiously until pain subsides. This may take a few weeks to a few months. But when pain subsides significantly, then you can do rehab exercises (e.g., flex bar), and when pain is almost negligible or all gone, you can come back with your PK and soft string.

diredesire 03-18-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenC (Post 7286063)
I would also make sure your technique is not the real culprit of your pain. The serve is a very complex series of motions and doing something awkward can put a lot of repetitive stress on joints.

While the 315 is a very comfortable racquet and very arm friendly, it is not a cure (no matter what the sticker on it says) for arm and shoulder pains. The best it can do is only make the racquet a little less jarring on impact when compared to most other modern racquets.

Yep, I came here to post this earlier, but I got sidetracked...

I have shoulder problems, too, and I don't think any racquet in the world would fix it: I tend to hit my toss way too far behind my head (errant/unpredictable toss). Over time, this would destroy anyone's shoulder, IMHO.

kadishack 03-18-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7286125)
Yep, I came here to post this earlier, but I got sidetracked...

I have shoulder problems, too, and I don't think any racquet in the world would fix it: I tend to hit my toss way too far behind my head (errant/unpredictable toss). Over time, this would destroy anyone's shoulder, IMHO.

Actually this is exactly what happened to me as well. Once I fixed my toss and altered my form a little bit on my serve, my shoulder problems all but disappeared. So it may be worth while to try and figure out what exact movements in your strokes are causing your pain.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-18-2013 10:07 AM

You should have went to the doctor first before you make the change.

_skunk_ 03-21-2013 04:56 AM

Some years ago i stayed 9 months without touching a racket due to TE (thanks to wilson hammer 5.3 and my ignorance).
No cortison injections, but daily streching exercises.

This is a simple and good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJJQsvW7mA

See your doctor for advises, do not underestimate the pain, as i did.
I was playing and all of a sudden i hit a forehand and i felt an acute pain on my elbow and i wasn't able anymore to hold the racket.
Now I'm playing again but i will never forget the experience.
I've learned to decrease the tension of the racket and no more superlight head heavy stiff rackets.

Relinquis 03-21-2013 05:29 AM

- Rest your arm, don't play tennis for a week, maybe even go to physio therapy
- Flexible racquet
- Soft string (natural gut, or multifilement)
- Mid-low tension
- Get a coach to check your technique

Boricua 03-21-2013 05:41 AM

Pro Kennex Q5 295 is lighter than your Pro Kennex. Maybe your racket is too heavy and you are altering your strokes and this could lead to trouble. I will string the Q5 with Ashaway Zyex Monogut. I will let you know how it goes. Should get it next week. I hope you get well soon!:)

ollinger 03-21-2013 06:06 AM

People got TE in the wood days when everyone's racquet was heavy and had a RA of about 30. No racquet is insurance that it can't happen, and good technique doesn't necessarily prevent it --- ask Tony Roche. You need to take some months off.

max 03-21-2013 06:11 AM

The cure, if you're looking at racquet weight, is more weight, not less.

Less means more shock to your body. Less impact absorbed by racquet mass.

canadad 03-21-2013 06:02 PM

My arm pain disappeared completely after using the Ki5. At first I did have the pain but an injured arm needs time to heal. I used many racquets in my quest to solve my arm problems. I used a Becker London for a while and it was good as well. However no racquet was quite like the PK Ki5. My problems were from the shoulder to the triceps and biceps. The other measures I took were the following:
1. Rest
2. Ice after every session to bring down inflammation.
3. I used a compression sleeve briefly with some success.
4. Multi strings.
5. I was pronating heavily on my serve. I went from a eastern BH grip to a continental.
6. Look at how you are sleeping, I was sleeping with my arm twisted under my pillow and head. So basically my arm was in an awkward position for 8 hours with poor circulation. Sleeping differently has I believe had the greatest impact in my recovery.

mikeler 03-21-2013 06:24 PM

After elbow pain, I went up too much in weight and got shoulder pain. So it is a balancing act of keeping both body parts happy in terms of weight.

kazamzaa 03-21-2013 08:40 PM

Shoulder problems often refer to technique faults in serve. Have a teaching pro look at it.
For me it's a continental grip. And hit the ball when it's inside the court above your head. Then it's like you're throwing your racquet at receivers feet. Throwing motion should be very loose and should be practiced without a ball.

max 03-22-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 7294146)
My arm pain disappeared completely after using the Ki5. At first I did have the pain but an injured arm needs time to heal. I used many racquets in my quest to solve my arm problems. I used a Becker London for a while and it was good as well. However no racquet was quite like the PK Ki5. My problems were from the shoulder to the triceps and biceps. The other measures I took were the following:
1. Rest
2. Ice after every session to bring down inflammation.
3. I used a compression sleeve briefly with some success.
4. Multi strings.
5. I was pronating heavily on my serve. I went from a eastern BH grip to a continental.
6. Look at how you are sleeping, I was sleeping with my arm twisted under my pillow and head. So basically my arm was in an awkward position for 8 hours with poor circulation. Sleeping differently has I believe had the greatest impact in my recovery.

amazing!

Canadad, you hit on something not many hit on. . . how you sleep!

You can really annoy a bad shoulder by sleeping on it. I always tell people that my dentist made my change my frame. . . he saw toothgrinding, which takes place at night, and apparently my bum shoulder was causing it!

So I started sleeping on the other side and used a different racquet and it all cleared up fairly quickly.

canadad 03-22-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7294963)
You can really annoy a bad shoulder by sleeping on it. I always tell people that my dentist made my change my frame. . . he saw toothgrinding, which takes place at night, and apparently my bum shoulder was causing it!

Wow, that's interesting. I have never heard of it relating to tooth grinding.

My brother is the best example I can think of. He is a very good golfer and struggles with his shoulder. We used comment on how he slept with his arm stretched over his head and his neck stretched to one side. His neck also bothers him from time to time. You hear of people who also have to change their beds because of their backs.

scotus 03-24-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7294963)
amazing!

Canadad, you hit on something not many hit on. . . how you sleep!

So I started sleeping on the other side and used a different racquet and it all cleared up fairly quickly.

Max, if you have a bad shoulder, why would you keep carrying that possum on your shoulder?

mcnota 03-24-2013 05:54 AM

check your technique/gripsize

if you have to play then take some ibuprofen