Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   One more time, if you are over 50 and at least a 4.5, what frame ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458089)

atatu 03-18-2013 01:43 PM

One more time, if you are over 50 and at least a 4.5, what frame ?

Sorry, I know there are variations on this thread, but I just want to get more specific, please post your racket if you fit the criteria or know of players who do. Thanks.

sunof tennis 03-18-2013 03:44 PM

Over 50 (unfortunately), was rated 4.5 awhile ago. Currently play with BLXPS95 with leather grip and small amount of lead 12 o'clock.

USS Tang 03-18-2013 05:10 PM

Here goes. I know I sound like a broken record with this racket recommendation. I am 67 and have been playing tennis for over 40 years. I have a USTA national ranking in the Mens 65s. I am small, but mobile and hit with a continental grip one-handed off both sides, with my goal being to get to the net in every rally, if possible. I am definitely not a top-spinning baseliner. My racket: the Prince Red 105 strung with 17-gauge Babolat natural gut at 57 lbs. Yes, I know: Prince is so passe these days with the bankruptcy and few player endorsements, but trust me, this is a very good racket for anyone over 50. It's easy to handle and packs plenty of power.

dje31 03-18-2013 05:33 PM

My wife turned 50 in January. For the past several years she's been using two Volkl C10 Pros. She just recently changed to a Head Graphene Instinct Rev with ~2oz of lead and blue stick in and around the handle. Will probably pick up a second as a backup.

The Revs are excellent platform sticks for customization.

dje31 03-18-2013 05:36 PM

FWIW, I'll be 48 in May. Will likely change to the Head Prestige S, but have been using her C10 Pros. They work well for me, but the Prestige S is ~1oz lighter, which would be welcomed.

v-verb 03-18-2013 05:42 PM

I'm 54 and play Prince Graphite Longbodys and Donnay X-Platinums. Basically your old style solid core narrow beam sticks (the longbodys being 1" longer).

Avoid poly strings unless you string below 35lbs. I'm nursing a sore elbow and arm having disregarded that piece of advice this past week

Fuji 03-18-2013 05:43 PM

A good friend of mine who is just past 50 is using the Bio300T bone stock strung with RIP Control @ 60lbs. Pretty basic set up that hits really nice!

-Fuji

Smasher08 03-18-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7287257)
Avoid poly strings unless you string below 35lbs. I'm nursing a sore elbow and arm having disregarded that piece of advice this past week

You should try gut-poly. Good power, phenomenal touch, and no arm issues whatsoever.

Smasher08 03-18-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7287262)
A good friend of mine who is just past 50 is using the Bio300T bone stock strung

A friend of mine used the old PS 95 into his 60s and was deadly with it!

v-verb 03-18-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 7287273)
You should try gut-poly. Good power, phenomenal touch, and no arm issues whatsoever.

Thanks Smasher08!

Today my pkg arrived from TW with among other things a set of Klip X-plosiv gut/poly hybrid. I'll string it up and report back.

I have played with poly at low tension - 35lbs and below - with no issues at all. The problem was playing with the string that came with a racquet I bought last week - poly at 58lbs.

So it's back to the low tension ploy and trying teh new gut/poly Klip strings!

Cheers and thanks again!

nigel

PS noticed you're in the Toronto area as well!

movdqa 03-18-2013 06:16 PM

IG Prestige MP. Friends my age that play well use the K95 and some other Wilson K-Factor 100 racquet with a bunch of lead tape.

Rabbit 03-19-2013 04:01 AM

54, 4.5, Wilson 99S

Played a competitive match with my mates on our senior 4.5 team and I thought I played way above average considering I've been sidelined since October with a torn calf. I am currently using Lux 4G 1.3 49/47.

The 99S is a nice hit.

TennisCJC 03-19-2013 05:51 AM

56 yo. Rated 4.5 awhile back but no longer play USTA. Played a couple season of 5.0 decades ago.

I use a Volkl 010 295 customized to 12.1 oz, 6 HL, and 335 SW strung with TF NRG2 17G multi mains at 50 lbs and TF RuffCode co-poly cross at 46 lbs. I demo rackets for fun but I have not found anything I like better than this. I have been using this racket for just over 2 years now. I may buy 2 more when they go on sale.

Old guys should use Volkl so all the young guys can say "hey, look at that old guy using a Volkl" while they use those POSh*T Babolats and Princes.

atatu 03-19-2013 06:31 AM

Well it's interesting to see no Pure Drives so far. It seems like all the advanced 50+ guys here in TX are using the PD, and I can't figure it out as I have tried it out and it doesn't work for me. I'm using the Donnay P1 16x19 but definitely feeling like I should give the PD another look. I mean, these guys are nationally ranked, they must know something ?

movdqa 03-19-2013 06:33 AM

If it works for them - great. I'd have arm problems though (I have a PDR in my closet). Maybe the warmer weather makes it more comfortable for the older set. There are some aspects of colder weather that bother me at times.

ArliHawk 03-19-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7288114)
If it works for them - great. I'd have arm problems though (I have a PDR in my closet). Maybe the warmer weather makes it more comfortable for the older set. There are some aspects of colder weather that bother me at times.

How about the Vokl Organix V1 MP?

Rabbit 03-19-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 7288108)
Well it's interesting to see no Pure Drives so far. It seems like all the advanced 50+ guys here in TX are using the PD, and I can't figure it out as I have tried it out and it doesn't work for me. I'm using the Donnay P1 16x19 but definitely feeling like I should give the PD another look. I mean, these guys are nationally ranked, they must know something ?

I tried the PD a bunch of years ago. It felt like crap....probably because I was using the C10 at the time. I just never had the desire to go try it again. That said, spec-wise, the 99S is pretty close to the PD. I think it's a nice compromise though because the string pattern plays a lot softer than the stiffness number.

keithfival 03-19-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Well it's interesting to see no Pure Drives so far. It seems like all the advanced 50+ guys here in TX are using the PD

I was going to say the same thing. Seems like all the older guys around here use PDs.

Power Player 03-19-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

I played a guy like that. Used a Pure Drive, 5.0 USTA. He hit really flat and drove the ball to the corners. It worked for that style real well since you can swing rather controlled and compact.

dje31 03-19-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7288223)
I tried the PD a bunch of years ago. It felt like crap....probably because I was using the C10 at the time.

My wife and I tried the early PD, with the swirly PJ, probably ~10 years ago by now. It felt horrible. For a short time, I used the swirly Pure Control, but the stiffness beat me down, but it generally felt much better than the PD.

While demoing recently, we tried the 2012 PD, and while it felt much more solid, neither of us thought our joints would take it for any length of time.

She's gone to the Head Graphene Instinct Rev with an RA of 59, which is much more benign, with extra weight in the handle. She was out of the game for multiple years, in part due to non-tennis related joint issues. Now that she can play again, we're avoiding the high RA racquets. I'm currently using her C10 Pros.