Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which string is better? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458116)

Tcbtennis 03-18-2013 05:46 PM

Which string is better?

Hello. I would like an opinion on which string would be better for my son. He hits with the Head Youtek Extreme MP and he has play tested two strings so far, Head Sonic Pro 17g and Genesis Black Magic 17g. He likes both strings but he gets different responses from them.

The Sonic Pro gives him good depth and topspin, the type of spin that jumps high off the gound and pushes his opponents behind the baseline unless they can step in and take the ball early or stay at the baseline and hit the ball above their shoulders. The ball feels good on his strings. He likes the spin and jump he gets on hs serve. The power is OK. Slices sometimes tend to go long. Tension at 40 lbs.

The Black Magic gives him good depth and spin. This spin allows him to hit as hard as he can and the ball stays in. He does not get the jump off the ground that he gets with the Sonic Pro. So the ball bounces into the strike zone of his opponents. He gets great power however with the Black Magic. I've never seen him strike the ball so powerfully before. His volleys are crisper with the Genesis and his slices land just inside the baseline. The feel is good but not as good as the Sonic Pro. Tension at 35lbs.

He is only 12 so of course we will probably be changing strings a hundred times in his playing career. But for now, which string sounds it is better based on the playability that he gets. Thanks.

THESEXPISTOL 03-18-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 7287268)
Hello. I would like an opinion on which string would be better for my son. He hits with the Head Youtek Extreme MP and he has play tested two strings so far, Head Sonic Pro 17g and Genesis Black Magic 17g. He likes both strings but he gets different responses from them.

The Sonic Pro gives him good depth and topspin, the type of spin that jumps high off the gound and pushes his opponents behind the baseline unless they can step in and take the ball early or stay at the baseline and hit the ball above their shoulders. The ball feels good on his strings. He likes the spin and jump he gets on hs serve. The power is OK. Slices sometimes tend to go long. Tension at 40 lbs.

The Black Magic gives him good depth and spin. This spin allows him to hit as hard as he can and the ball stays in. He does not get the jump off the ground that he gets with the Sonic Pro. So the ball bounces into the strike zone of his opponents. He gets great power however with the Black Magic. I've never seen him strike the ball so powerfully before. His volleys are crisper with the Genesis and his slices land just inside the baseline. The feel is good but not as good as the Sonic Pro. Tension at 35lbs.

He is only 12 so of course we will probably be changing strings a hundred times in his playing career. But for now, which string sounds it is better based on the playability that he gets. Thanks.

Are you seriously stringing polys to a 12yo?
Man this poly craze is even worse than i thought :-|

Muppet 03-18-2013 06:16 PM

Is this a real thread? If so, your son should not use poly until he's driving. Poly is often hurting you before you can feel it. It should be changed out every two weeks, regardless. Try Head RIP Control for now.

THESEXPISTOL 03-18-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 7287339)
Is this a real thread? If so, your son should not use poly until he's driving. Poly is often hurting you before you can feel it. It should be changed out every two weeks, regardless. Try Head RIP Control for now.

If he's a top player at his age do this for his health sake.

If he's not a top player a basic synthetic gut will do the job just fine and will be easier on your wallet. You can go with Pro Supex Spiral Flex which is know as maybe the most "spiny" nylon.

tennisplayer1993 03-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Personally at 19 years old, I find Black Magic too stiff, I prefer the Sonic Pro a lot more. I do admit to getting more pop with Black Magic but I felt I had much better control with the Sonic Pro. But another pro of Black Magic was the massive amounts of spin I got off it.

Philipp Kohlscheriber #1 03-18-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7287346)
If he's a top player at his age do this for his health sake.

If he's not a top player a basic synthetic gut will do the job just fine and will be easier on your wallet. You can go with Pro Supex Spiral Flex which is know as maybe the most "spiny" nylon.

I'm 13 and I have been using polys for a year and now I cant play with synthetic gut any more is't awful. Polys feel softer than synthetic gut in my case. Try tourna big hitter blue.

ishiun 03-19-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipp Kohlscheriber #1 (Post 7287541)
I'm 13 and I have been using polys for a year and now I cant play with synthetic gut any more is't awful. Polys feel softer than synthetic gut in my case. Try tourna big hitter blue.

BHBR is great and i found BHB7 to be great for people looking for more spin and control

Tcbtennis 03-20-2013 05:48 AM

Thanks for the responses but what I am really trying to get at is based on how the strings play for my son which characteristic is better in competitive tennis? A string (Head Sonic Pro) that gives you the spin that jumps high to your opponent on your groundstrokes and serve or pace (Genesis Black Magic) with the spin that keeps the ball in the court with crisp volleys. Thanks.

fgs 03-20-2013 05:59 AM

how long does a stringjob last your son?

Tcbtennis 03-20-2013 06:11 AM

I would say approximately 10-14 days. He doesn't break the ploys like he would break the multifilament. He tells me that the strings have lost their pop and he cuts them out.

Slitch 03-20-2013 06:13 AM

From what I've read, 40lbs range seems to be in no man's land. Have you strung up both strings at the same tension? Have you tried a hybrid of both?

the most important question is: Which of the two makes your son smile the most? When teens get into puberty, most upcoming professionals start to lose interest because the seriousness of the business. Sports should be about having fun. If he's having fun, he will perform. Psychology can be your greatest friend or enemy.

fgs 03-20-2013 06:33 AM

dear tcbtennis,

while you have pretty well described what your son feels when playing the two strings in question, you have not at all described the playingstyle of your son so far.

i understood that the genesis gives him better volleys, but if he is a baseline grinder and seldom comes to net, those few shots he would execute at net would not give him any competitive advantage.

besides, you describe employing different tensions, so that i can very well imagine that due to the stiffer stringbed of the sonic pro you get some more rpms on the ball and thus a higher launch angle, which then relates to the ball jumping off high. the lower tension on the genesis will provide for a bigger stringbeddeflection which can lead to a flatter angle and obviously more power.

i have played the sonic pro myself, the black magic is still waiting in line, so i have no indication of how that string plays.

one of the most important aspect of junior tennis which is much too often overlooked is the striking height of the player, which directly relates to the height of the kid. how does he move to the ball and where does he usually hit it - where is his comfort zone? if the kid is smjall (i mean relative to his age) and also tends to play the ball rather between the knee and hip, you are better advised with the higher launch angle of the sonic pro. if he likes to strike it between hip and shoulder and this is in the mean time at a fair distance above the net height, than you can go for the apparently more powerfull but flatter launching black magic.

it is a difficult call to make since it very much depends on what he is feeling comfy with.

as a final thought - don't change the strings too often since it would require him to adapt his stroking mechanics to fit the equipment.
my son turns 14 this summer and i have him play for three years now poly mains and syngut crosses (mantis power polyester and mantis power synthetic). he usually breaks the strings between 15-20 hitting hours, just when they are about to go dead anyway.

Tcbtennis 03-20-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slitch (Post 7290304)
From what I've read, 40lbs range seems to be in no man's land. Have you strung up both strings at the same tension? Have you tried a hybrid of both?

the most important question is: Which of the two makes your son smile the most? When teens get into puberty, most upcoming professionals start to lose interest because the seriousness of the business. Sports should be about having fun. If he's having fun, he will perform. Psychology can be your greatest friend or enemy.

I did string the HSP at 35 lbs at first. He loved it but felt the balls went long too frequently for his comfort. At 40 lbs it still has the great feel and better control. I have not tried a hybrid. We do plan to test other strings because his previous string RPM Team is just too expensive and not a quality replacement for RPM Blast (also too expensive and harsh on his arm).

Regarding my son's passion for the sport, he would play all day every day if we let him. He has played over 300 junior USTA matches since he was 7 years old. Even after a tough tough loss that leaves him in tears he wants to know when he can compete again.

Tcbtennis 03-20-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 7290352)
dear tcbtennis,

while you have pretty well described what your son feels when playing the two strings in question, you have not at all described the playingstyle of your son so far.

i understood that the genesis gives him better volleys, but if he is a baseline grinder and seldom comes to net, those few shots he would execute at net would not give him any competitive advantage.

besides, you describe employing different tensions, so that i can very well imagine that due to the stiffer stringbed of the sonic pro you get some more rpms on the ball and thus a higher launch angle, which then relates to the ball jumping off high. the lower tension on the genesis will provide for a bigger stringbeddeflection which can lead to a flatter angle and obviously more power.

i have played the sonic pro myself, the black magic is still waiting in line, so i have no indication of how that string plays.

one of the most important aspect of junior tennis which is much too often overlooked is the striking height of the player, which directly relates to the height of the kid. how does he move to the ball and where does he usually hit it - where is his comfort zone? if the kid is smjall (i mean relative to his age) and also tends to play the ball rather between the knee and hip, you are better advised with the higher launch angle of the sonic pro. if he likes to strike it between hip and shoulder and this is in the mean time at a fair distance above the net height, than you can go for the apparently more powerfull but flatter launching black magic.

it is a difficult call to make since it very much depends on what he is feeling comfy with.

as a final thought - don't change the strings too often since it would require him to adapt his stroking mechanics to fit the equipment.
my son turns 14 this summer and i have him play for three years now poly mains and syngut crosses (mantis power polyester and mantis power synthetic). he usually breaks the strings between 15-20 hitting hours, just when they are about to go dead anyway.

Thanks for your response. His playing style is in evolution. Before we changed coaches, I would call him a counterpuncher whose consistency was his biggest weapon. Trips to the net were not frequent. Now he is learning a more aggressive style of play where he is always being encouraged to come forward. So he is definitely hitting more volleys than ever before. The quality difference in volleys between the Head and Genesis is noticeable.

Along with the new aggressive training is trying to get him to consistently take the ball closer to the top of the bounce (between hip and shoulder). I ask him which he likes better and he is so undecided in trying to choose which characteristics he likes best.

Slitch 03-20-2013 11:12 AM

Sounds like you have a kid with a great mentality and love for the sport.
If you want a great string on a budget, you can try Discho strings. I tried the Iontec Black in a Organix 10 325g and it played a bit like a sharp WC silverstring. Definitely something to consider for a player who volleys.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=379793
Review by PV-audio:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...postcount=1883

Tennusdude 03-20-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplayer1993 (Post 7287441)
Personally at 19 years old, I find Black Magic too stiff, I prefer the Sonic Pro a lot more. I do admit to getting more pop with Black Magic but I felt I had much better control with the Sonic Pro. But another pro of Black Magic was the massive amounts of spin I got off it.

I felt that Sonic Pro was much stiffer than Black Magic. Sonic Pro also offered less spin an power than Black Magic. Maybe we forgot to factor in the large difference the racket makes.

JT_2eighty 03-20-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

At that age, I would pick the Sonic Pro as juniors in that age group will most likely struggle the most with high-bouncing spin outside their strike zone. While his slices and volleys may not be better with it, once he adjusts to one setup over time, that should alleviate his overall confidence and control with the Sonic Pro.

NLBwell 03-20-2013 02:39 PM

Polyester strings, Extreme racket, 12 year old.

Which doesn't belong?

Tcbtennis 03-21-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7291592)
Polyester strings, Extreme racket, 12 year old.

Which doesn't belong?

I guess that in the world of highly competitive junior sports things may seem wrong by people who do not have children immersed in the sport. I think that this applies to competitive baseball, football, gymnastics, mixed martial arts (I was surprised that there is a Junior Circuit where kids learn to beat the crap out of each other), etc. Poly strings are a no brainer in the competitive junior tennis world. I'm not talking about kids who aspire to play on the high school team. I'm talking about kids who want to play Div 1 tennis or possibly become tennis professionals. These kids push themselves to their limits and want to play at the highest levels. That involves using the best equipment, having the best training you can get and most importantly sacrificing some of your childhood so you can train at these high levels.

You are not the only one who has written criticism about the use of poly strings by a young child but unfortunately that is the way it is.

Lambsscroll 03-21-2013 05:35 AM

At 12 he is only going to get stronger. Both strings sound good.

The first poly (Sonic Pro) sounds more dangerous for his opponents.

The second poly seems like it naturally goes into the opponents strike zone. This only allows the opponent a chance to dictate the point.