Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Most durable for steam 99s (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458190)

ttwarrior1 03-19-2013 01:41 PM

Most durable for steam 99s

Likely gonna demo first, but not sure that would help unless they restring it on each demo and they use the strings you want. I'm used to extended rackets so might try the other version also.

So what strings should I get for playing once a week and no stringer within 45 min of me and use in 4 tourneys and play 3 days in a row for 2 matches each of those tourneys in may July August and September
Thanks

Fed Kennedy 03-19-2013 01:48 PM

Luxilon 4GS 1.41 is the only string optimized for wilson s series racquets. Thats what it says on the package anyway.

drakulie 03-19-2013 01:50 PM

Genesis black magic 15 gauge.

Fed Kennedy 03-19-2013 02:11 PM

Drakulie have you tried the 4GS?

ishiun 03-19-2013 02:14 PM

yup like many people has said 4GS works for many players with the 99s

wmrhawk 03-19-2013 04:08 PM

Durability is, suddenly, a BIG issue.

I rolled out of my babolat Roddick GT+ sticks a couple of weeks ago. before i had heard of the new Wilson Steam/Spin racquets, i knew i wanted my new one to be 1. lighter, 2, as big or bigger head (100 +), and an open string pattern to enhance spin.

i logged in to Talk Tennis (probably first time in over a year) and voila! the Wilson spin racquets seemed to be tailor made for me. i did some demo hitting (broke string, re-strung) and ordered two. i really like them.

i decided to get a third one since i'm blowing thru string, on average every hour or two. in some cases i've gone longer, but the strings are definitely going fast. i am still experimenting with different poly hybrid setups and even did one as a full poly for the first time in years. i don't mind having to re-string a more often, but what has be a bit aggravated is the number of times (probably four times in the last two weeks) where i've broken the string up at the grommet. usually, i think, "well, shame on me for that dreadful mishit serve or overhead", but these were all on very neutral ground strokes (two of which were backhands).

so, anyhow, i too am now looking into heavier poly gauges. i've always pretty much used 17 g poly strings, and never really was too concerned about durability. i'm just beginning this quest, so i'll report back, and i'm particularly interested if anyone has some insight on the mishit string break issue with the wilson steam spin 105s.

drakulie 03-19-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed Kennedy (Post 7289079)
Drakulie have you tried the 4GS?

Yes. It's a nice string in this frame considering it tames the power and provides plenty of spin. More so when one goes to thicker gauge (tame power)

wmrhawk 03-19-2013 05:30 PM

i just ordered Isospeed Baseline in 15L and 16. i had also planned to try the 4GS, but i was afraid i would love it and be driven into the poor house given it's price tag.

Rabbit 03-19-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmrhawk (Post 7289484)
i just ordered Isospeed Baseline in 15L and 16. i had also planned to try the 4GS, but i was afraid i would love it and be driven into the poor house given it's price tag.

Please provide an update. There is a good friend of mine I string for. He's getting two matches out of a set of 16L poly. I've put him on a $30/month plan. :)

I am also going to order a few sets of the BM 15L.

ttwarrior1 03-21-2013 12:39 AM

Looks like this racket would not be for me. In 30 years I've broke only 1 string and I still have the same strings that came with my warrior racket from almost ten years ago. Strings never move

wmrhawk 05-01-2013 01:24 PM

i am a new isospeed fan

i've used two new polyester strings in my Wilson Steam 105s racquets.
1. ISOSPEED Baseline Long Life String 15L Reel - $39.99
2. ISOSPEED Baseline Control String 16 Reel - $39.99

i am happy to report the playability and durability of both of these strings is great. i didn't bother trying them out with sets (vs reels) since the price was so great on the reels. this is the first time i've used any string from isospeed, and given my high overall satisfaction, i will probably check out some of their other (non poly) options as well. i originally stumbled upon isospeed when searching for heavier gauge strings for my new Steam 105s due to the unacceptable durability of the 17g polys that i've been using successfully for years (previously had Roddick PD+ and K95 racquets and the 17g was not a problem). the high price of the Wilson 4G (not to mention the mixed reviews) dissuaded me from trying it.

brokenRPM 05-01-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmrhawk (Post 7381115)
i've used two new polyester strings in my Wilson Steam 105s racquets.
1. ISOSPEED Baseline Long Life String 15L Reel - $39.99
2. ISOSPEED Baseline Control String 16 Reel - $39.99

i am happy to report the playability and durability of both of these strings is great. i didn't bother trying them out with sets (vs reels) since the price was so great on the reels. this is the first time i've used any string from isospeed, and given my high overall satisfaction, i will probably check out some of their other (non poly) options as well. i originally stumbled upon isospeed when searching for heavier gauge strings for my new Steam 105s due to the unacceptable durability of the 17g polys that i've been using successfully for years (previously had Roddick PD+ and K95 racquets and the 17g was not a problem). the high price of the Wilson 4G (not to mention the mixed reviews) dissuaded me from trying it.

what tension do you string the 15L at? Do they have less spin than the 17g you used before? Thanks.

wmrhawk 05-01-2013 03:57 PM

due to bigger head size and more open pattern, i've been stringing around 57lb (+/- 2lbs) vs about 53lbs with my prior sticks. i've not noticed a material decrease in spin (although i am sure there must be some), but the difference in durability is extraordinary. the racquet now seems about "normal" in terms of string consumption (i.e., several hours of use as opposed to 10 to 120 minutes of use).

the other polys that i used successfully were all pretty much 17g (Tourna big hitter blue & black & silver both rough and smooth. Topspin cyber flash, and various others like Luxilon, MSV, Signum, etc.).

wmilas 05-02-2013 12:57 PM

I hate poly in the mains. I've tried 4g and the rest and they feel terrible in my 99s. I tried gut in the mains with poly crosses and the gut snaps in under 30 minutes. Tried a multi in the mains and it saws through in 45 minutes.

Oddly enough I tried OGSM syn gut in the mains and it plays pretty well. Lasts 2-4 hours for me so I'm fairly happy. With a good cheap poly in the crosses (I use TCS touch) a string job is right around 4 bux (assuming you use reels and string yourself).

I don't like the feel of poly when it goes dead, so I'm cutting it out after 6ish hours anyways. So for me, 2-4 hours at 4 bux is good enough.

That being said, unless you like the wet paper bag feeling of 4g, you are kind of screwed with the steams if you want a poly that's going to hold its tension. Its just how this racquet is.

wmrhawk 05-02-2013 03:15 PM

my "standard" syn gut cross string is also Gosen OGSM 16g. i haven't tried that in the mains before with the new racquets, but i do have Ashaway multi zyex in mains right now with the 15L Isospeed in crosses. i haven't hit with it enough yet to have much of an opinion, but at this point i haven't noticed anything remarkable about it (good or bad) vs my standard approach with the poly in mains and the gosen in the crosses.

i've also mixed in the new Ashaway mono gut zyex string in the crosses (in the spot where the OGSM would be) along with the Isospeed poly, and i like it. it seems a bit livelier, but i suspect that the added cost would annoy me in the long term ($16 for set of ashaway zyex vs about $1 for the gosen).

brokenRPM 05-02-2013 09:24 PM

I've tried full bed 16g natural gut and ISOSPEED Control Classic at 60. The gut is actually pretty good and lasted a few sets. The control classic didn't feel too good. Poly is still the best for the 105s.

wmilas 05-14-2013 08:24 AM

I'm now busting the OGSM in under 2 hours. Starting to get annoying stringing so much. I'm going to experiment with some Polys in the mains with TCS touch in the cross. I was wondering how OGSM did in the cross with the steams. I might string one up and give it a try.

wmrhawk 05-14-2013 10:12 AM

i am fully satisfied with Gosen OGSM 16 in crosses

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmilas (Post 7410721)
I'm now busting the OGSM in under 2 hours. Starting to get annoying stringing so much. I'm going to experiment with some Polys in the mains with TCS touch in the cross. I was wondering how OGSM did in the cross with the steams. I might string one up and give it a try.

the OGSM feels good and is durable (i have yet to break a cross string in the new Steam).
since the mains are breaking within seconds or minutes (the first few string jobs using 17g poly went unbelievably fast) on the short end and lasting upwards of 4 to 6 hours on the long end, it seems like it is the perfect cross string for the Steam 99s and 105s. i only need about 15 feet of the OGSM for the crosses, so that turns out to be less than $1 in string cost for the crosses (660 reel / 15 = 44 and reel cost of $40 / 44 = $0.91)

lostinamerica 05-14-2013 10:50 AM

I am keeping one frame strung with Ashaway Crossfire. I am going through string about every 90 minutes on average. I have 4 and will add two more before sectionals in a few months. I will also bring string. I get about 5 to 6 matches with the Crossfire in 18 Gauge. Still pretty spinny but it is not as spinny.

I e-mailed Solinco and asked if they would put TourBite in 15 gauge. They said in a nice way it is something they will consider.. yada yada yada. With all of the string problems with the Steams S series, they actually might consider it.

Rabbit 05-14-2013 12:58 PM

I had a one off with Drakulie about this very topic. I am stringing for a guy who loves a 1.27 string but hates getting two sets out of it before it breaks. He was stringing them at 58.

I asked him to keep an open mind and let me try to help him. Drakulie had suggested lowering tension. I began to stair step him down from 58. Long story short, he's now at 50 pounds, cannot tell the difference, but is getting 6 sets out of one set. He's happy.

I also put a set of Prince Beast in there for him, the thick one. At 58, he got 6 sets out of it. At a reduced tension, he might possibly get 18 - 20 sets.