Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wilson Gut 16/Ytex Pro Tour 16L Hybrid Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=458331)

mikeler 03-20-2013 07:38 PM

Wilson Gut 16/Ytex Pro Tour 16L Hybrid Review

Everyone says gut/poly is the best. Over a year ago, I tried some Unifibre (cheap) gut with my favorite shaped poly B5E. It was decent but lasted less than 4 sets. The general consensus on TTW is that gut mains need a smooth poly cross to "snap back" and achieve awesomeness. So I obliged and went down to the local tennis shop. I fondled all their polys and determined that Ytex Pro Tour white was the softest. I recently got some B5E from G4Driver (thanks again) and just handling B5E, it still feels much softer than the Ytex.

Stringing was fairly easy.

Tension it is strung: 50/45 pounds on a lockout machine
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16 @ 50 pounds
Racket: Prince Exo3 Tour
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18
Power (or lack there of): OK until the poly died
Feel: Seemed to depend on my level of play that day
Tension maintenance: Final tension loss reading was 17% on RacquetTune
Price: Not worth it
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: My first outing with this I was worried it might be too stiff for a recovering tennis elbow. It always felt a little jarring the first few hard returns but after that, it felt good.

Serve/Return of Serve: Compared to full mutli jobs, I don't think this setup changed my serve much. I struggled some days on service returns big time.

Strokes: Just OK. I seemed to dump a lot of slice backhands in the net.

Volleys: Slightly below average.

Touch shots: Some days it was good, other days it sucked.

Softness: It got softer over time but definitely would prefer a better poly in the crosses.

Tension: My accuracy was not great with this setup. I'm not sure tension adjustments would help.

Durability: With string savers, this setup goes a long time. I cut it out because the poly was dead. The last 2 days, the setup just lost all "free" power.

Movement: String movement was just as bad as full multi jobs.

Conclusion: If you don't string for yourself and durability is a priority, then this is your setup. Buy some string savers and enjoy.

My thinking is this. I'll pay more if I can win more. This setup did not help me do that. I like poly mains better than gut but every player is different.

corners 03-20-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7292189)

Something went horribly wrong for you with your gut/poly experience.

GlenK 03-21-2013 03:30 AM

^^Amen...nothing like mine...

McLovin 03-21-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7292283)
Something went horribly wrong for you with your gut/poly experience.

I think the issue is more his string pattern: 16x18 in a 100sq in. I think at 50/45 you'd be hard pressed to find any combination that did not move.

Lambsscroll 03-21-2013 03:44 AM

Mike, dont give up hope. TW didn't and look what they found.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...OFreporter.php

Torres 03-21-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16 @ 50 pounds
Racket: Prince Exo3 Tour
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18

What's the thinking behind you moving from that to a gut/poly setup?

mikeler 03-21-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7292658)
What's the thinking behind you moving from that to a gut/poly setup?

Not completely happy with full multis. Like McLovin said, every string moves in this racket. Higher tensions offer no power.

Torres 03-21-2013 02:49 PM

With a slight degree of hesitation, I think you might like ZX. Good feel and reasonable power, and that stick should still provide ample spin when the string wears. I'm guessing the strings will stick a bit in that pattern and head size but probably not as much as nylon.

mikeler 03-21-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7293780)
With a slight degree of hesitation, I think you might like ZX. Good feel and reasonable power, and that stick should still provide ample spin when the string wears. I'm guessing the strings will stick a bit in that pattern and head size but probably not as much as nylon.

I probably will try it at some point...of course

Torres 03-22-2013 01:57 AM

Worth a go IMO. Slow pulls, breaking knots, tension sensitives and consistency issues aside, when that string works, it is very, very sweet. Finding that optimum 'window' of performance during the string's playing life, creates an addiction like no other (and frustration as well since you end up constantly trying to find that optimum window of performance again).

As for your gut/poly combinations, I've found that so much depends on the specific combination of strings, and the tensions used for any one particular stick. If any one of those setup factors are off, it can play like a dog.

mikeler 03-22-2013 05:27 AM

The Exo Tour seems particularly tension sensitive so I think you are right Torres.

mikeler 03-29-2013 06:32 PM

Well, well, well. I'm thinking the Torres man is dead on here. By the way, any chance you will visit Berlin in the last 2 weeks of July for some tennis?

I'm currently playing the other half of the Wilson gut 16 in the mains with Discho Microfibre 16 as the cross with both at 60 pounds and I'm not playing like doo doo anymore. So maybe gut/poly needed to be higher tension in the Exo Tour but my arm would not tolerate that. Still, I don't think poly crosses are for me. I like poly in the mains where it generates more spin for my strokes.

Ross K 03-29-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

I fondled all their polys and determined that Ytex Pro Tour white was the softest
Ah, a poly fondler eh?...:shock: :)

mikeler 03-30-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross K (Post 7313979)
Ah, a poly fondler eh?...:shock: :)

Guilty as charged. I want to open my package of Solinco Tour Bite Soft and fondle it but I'm still resisting.

SJSA 03-31-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7313706)
Well, well, well. I'm thinking the Torres man is dead on here. By the way, any chance you will visit Berlin in the last 2 weeks of July for some tennis?

I'm currently playing the other half of the Wilson gut 16 in the mains with Discho Microfibre 16 as the cross with both at 60 pounds and I'm not playing like doo doo anymore. So maybe gut/poly needed to be higher tension in the Exo Tour but my arm would not tolerate that. Still, I don't think poly crosses are for me. I like poly in the mains where it generates more spin for my strokes.

I am sure your arm can't handle poly in the mains.

mikeler 04-01-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJSA (Post 7317607)
I am sure your arm can't handle poly in the mains.

You are probably correct.

polytheist 04-01-2013 12:00 PM

Mikeler i think you didn't get the tensions right for that open string pattern. For a CP machine i would recommend 52/47. So guessing around 57/52 for a lockout.

Your 50/45 would probably be like 46/42 CP. When i have strung any gut/poly that low the control was just not there.

If you can carefully cut the gut mains right outside the knots (on the outside of the frame) you might be able to salvage the gut. The increased tension should give you a few extra inches to make new tie offs at a new higher tension.

If you want to experience gut/poly nirvana, go with Polystar Energy 1.20 crosses. Polystar's soft so up the crosses a bit. Go with something like 57/54 lockout. This setup is only good for a few hours but it's the best hit i've ever had. Then you can just redo the crosses with whatever other poly you want to try. If you want ridiculous control and longevity, i would cross with 4G. Ultimate spin go with Cofocus. Another potential is Head Sonic Pro, which is very 4G-like and is half the price.

mikeler 04-01-2013 03:51 PM

Too late, I already cut it out. I'm playing with the other half of the Wilson gut 16 and Discho Microfibre at 60. That setup is working well for me.

Lambsscroll 04-02-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7319536)
Too late, I already cut it out. I'm playing with the other half of the Wilson gut 16 and Discho Microfibre at 60. That setup is working well for me.

I said it would be for the win. :)

mikeler 04-02-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambsscroll (Post 7320213)
I said it would be for the win. :)

I'll write a review when I'm finished with it but the DM crosses seem to help with flattening out balls which was my issue when I tried a full set of Wilson gut 16, albeit in a different frame.